PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you think if we traded out of the 1st Rd. entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the OLBs that we have passed on in recent years have had a few question marks - whether that be size and ability to set the edge (Matthews), ability to drop into coverage (almost all of the college DEs), or their experience and level of competition (Barwin, Matthews). The one prospect he has taken relatively early is Cunningham - by all accounts he liked his consistency, ability to set the edge and read react skills.

I think the guy in this draft with the least questions for Bill may be McClellin - he has played a number of positions in college, including standing up and inside linebacker. He doesn't have elite burst and probably won't got you 12+ sacks a year but he has a lot of position versatility, has protypical size, has dropped into coverage etc. It remains to be seen whether the end of the 1st is a bit too rich for Bill to take him but he may take the plunge in the early 2nd.

I'm happy with trading out of the 1st if the value isn't there. I had ear marked Kendall Reyes as a guy Bill would take if he was stuck without a trade partner in the 1st. He isn't a flashy player but he does everything that Bill wants in a 3-4 end. He takes on and sheds double teams and plays with pretty good pad level. Was a team captain too.

I would be happy if our first two picks were Reyes and McClellin and we picked up a few extra late picks in the process.

I'm on board with H.Smith. Shea McClellin of Boise would be a good fit too. Vrabel type.

I've read that he has sustained at least three concussions while at Boise ST. That scares me.

Shea reminds me a lot of mike wright in terms of concussions. His stock will fall i say get him in the 4th if hes there if not too bad

I could see us trading away the 31st pick with Cleveland/Rams for their 1st for 2013.

I've read that he has sustained at least three concussions while at Boise ST. That scares me.

I've sustained about 3 concussions tripping over my stupid dog in the kitchen. Lifes a sh!t sandwhich. Take a bite.

Speaking of Barwin, so if BB has passed on Cushings, Mathews, Woodley, Barwin and countless scores of others at OLB in previous drafts, why does anybody think he will take a Perry, Mercilous, Branch or McCellin in the first round this year?

Isn't predicting BB to take any of those players the definition of insanity?

Pretty much. But wishful thinking abounds as the draft approaches. I'm not opposed to a 1st round OLB but the odds of it actually happening are slim to none.

I think a safety like Barron or stud CB makes more sense in the low 1st. I'm not opposed to trading out of the 1st, but if you can get a difference maker, just stay and make the pick. The Pats have 2 first rounders, so they can still get extra picks out of the 1st rounder that they don't want to keep.

Speaking of Barwin, so if BB has passed on Cushings, Mathews, Woodley, Barwin and countless scores of others at OLB in previous drafts, why does anybody think he will take a Perry, Mercilous, Branch or McCellin in the first round this year?

Isn't predicting BB to take any of those players the definition of insanity?

They've all got their red flags. It's just a matter of which red flags Belichick is willing to look past. Barwin played defense for only one year. Cushing and Matthews weren't pass rushers in college and had the steroid rumors. Woodley is short.

If anything, I'd say that Perry has a chance because he's got a very similar body type to Adalius Thomas (including athleticism), and McClellin's body is pretty similar to Ninkovich's, but with better athleticism. And I'd add Jones, because he's that tall, long pass rusher that we know Belichick lusts over.

I've sustained about 3 concussions tripping over my stupid dog in the kitchen. Lifes a sh!t sandwhich. Take a bite.

I wouldnt want to draft you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye