PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you rather, 16-0 or the first pick in the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallfamebrady

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
The Pats stand to be in an interesting position in weeks 15 - 16 when they play the Jets and Phins. They could benefit from losing to those teams provided they have the AFC home field wrapped up. This would better the chances of the 49ers pick becoming a number 1.

Curious in your thoughts. I personally believe you have to win every game. I would love to see the rat get his butt kicked. On the other hand, the Pats with the number one pick would serve justice for spygate.

Last edited:
Assuming we win the SB either way ? 16-0 in a NANOSECOND.

The Pats stand to be in an interesting position in weeks 15 - 16 when they play the Jets and Phins. They could benefit from losing to those teams provided they have the AFC home field wrapped up. This would better the chances of the 49ers pick becoming a number 1.

Curious in your thoughts. I personally believe you have to win every game. I would love to see the rat get his butt kicked. On the other hand, the Pats with the number one pick would serve justice for spygate.
why would youwant a a number one and pay the guy 60 million, the pats will trade down any way, looking at history would you want to be known as a undefeated season or a number one pick? its obvious the answer. this thread is rather silly if you ask me

16-0, in that way u put it....

my fav? 19-0, and screw how high the pick is...

if we could win the rest of our games, including the sb, then i wouldnt mind if SF won the rest of their games as well, even if they went to the SB

Curious in your thoughts. I personally believe you have to win every game. I would love to see the rat get his butt getted out of down. On the other hand, the Pats with the number one pick would serve justice for spygate.

I think very few in here give a crap about 16-0 - Its the ultimate prize we all want and thats another Lombardi back in Gillette.

If a loss would not hurt HFA and it takes all the pressure off of going 19-0 then who really cares,after all if the team is 16-0 then loses the first playoff game and goes 16-1 noone really will make a big deal about it anyway.

To summarize my opinion the future of the team may start with a high pick in next years draft and we can then go on to trade the pick for maybe two in the first round or at least an extra second rounder. - The top pick in the draft to get an extra pick with a trade is more important than 16-0.

Last edited:
Curious in your thoughts.
My thoughts are that going 16-0 is virtually 100% independant of having the top pick in the draft, so it is silly to address this matter as if they were somehow related.

I think very few in here give a crap about 16-0 - Its the ultimate prize we all want and thats another Lombardi back in Gillette.
I give a crap. Sure, winning the SB is BY FAR the most important thing but 19-0 is another order of magnitude entirely - it basically would establish us as the best team ever.

The biggest EFF YOU to the League would be for the Pats to go 19-0, AND get the first pick in the draft. I wonder what lengths BB would go to to ensure SF "lays down" toward the end of the season. Ah, screw it, no way Miami or Jets pass San Fran.

I want to get new golf balls next spring with the 4X Superbowl Champions logo on them. I have one with the 3X SB Champions but I want new balls.

All the other stuff is great but would lose it's meaning without the 4th champinship.

I want to get new golf balls next spring with the 4X Superbowl Champions logo on them. I have one with the 3X SB Champions but I want new balls.

All the other stuff is great but would lose it's meaning without the 4th champinship.

I'm thinking about getting some "back to backs" myself:p

Always good to have a couple spare balls in case you lose them or damage them :eek: - Ouch!!

Right now there does not appear to be too much difference in the early picks, although it is somewhat early. There is no consensus #1 pick out there that teams are losing games over. The only significance of a #1 for the Patriots is that protruding middle finger. On the other hand, the protruding index finger is the ultimate prize.

I don't think that's the point of the thread. Given a choice between 16-0 and WINNING THE SUPER BOWL, of course we pick winning the Super Bowl. However, this thread is about 16-0 and presumably winning the Super Bowl vs. having the #1 overall pick and presumably winning the Super Bowl.

The choice is obvious - 16-0.

Are you kidding? We've had #1 draft choices before. We'd probably trade it away anyhow.

On the other hand, 16-0 (actually 19-0) = pro football immortality.

1,2, OR 3 is fine with me. Anything in the Top 5 will work. I don't think there is that big of a difference between the top 5. I'm thinking long term versus short term.

Long term we for 19-0 win the superbowl and the team is cemented in history forever. I get to say I witnesed the greatest run of all time. We get the 3rd or 4th draft pick.

Short term we get to lose a game to the Jets or lose to Miami or both and the streak is over but we still win the superbowl. Get the Number one pick trade out or spend and ungodly amount on a rookie who may or may not succeed.

I'm taking the long term. I much care about the history rather than an Eff U to the league no one will remember two years form now.

The biggest EFF YOU to the League would be for the Pats to go 19-0, AND get the first pick in the draft. I wonder what lengths BB would go to to ensure SF "lays down" toward the end of the season. Ah, screw it, no way Miami or Jets pass San Fran.

What lengths? BB knows no lengths.

He'll use all his double secret technical skills that not even the NSA knows about to spy with satellites and eavesdrop on communications that he does not control to feed info to the other sides of SF. Then, he'll use his tracter beams to prevent SF from throwing the ball and scoring.

How about threatening the coaches and their families? Getting Russians to poison opponents.

Of course, this is how the Pats win already anyway.

Then there will be the payoffs of referees and new "emphases" (stealing a Colts trick) jjst to seal the deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if SF loses all of its remaining games, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets beat the phins. If the jets win that game, and only that game, and if SF loses all of its remaining games I believe SF picks before the Jets.

16-0 for sure. Our pick will be top 5 level, It doesn't have to be #1 overall to be good. In fact if it does turn out to be #1, I'd probably trade down to #4 just to avoid paying the king's ransom.

Exactly. Is this even worth debate?

It makes sense if you can get the number 1 pick while not jeopardizing your chance of winning the SB. The Celtics spent all last season tanking games to get the number one pick. Everyone was OK with it. It is entirely possible the Pats will go into the Jets and Phins game with AFC home field wrapped up. The key is if their SB chances ARE NOT diminished

Also, a high first round pick can help secure many more Super Bowls whether it is making the pick or trading down for multiple picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes