Welcome to PatsFans.com

What would you miss if you didn't live in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, May 27, 2008.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I've just completed my annual summer migration back to Europe and it made me think: what am I going to miss about the U.S.?

I came up with three things (since we're deep in the middle of the off-season, I omit the obvious!):

1. The People This is the big thing. In social interactions with strangers, Americans are astonishingly friendly, helpful, considerate, generous and polite. I could give many, many examples, from the young man walking past me with his girlfriend a couple of weeks ago as I was standing in the street holding a big package who stopped to ask me if I needed a hand (I didn't) to the software engineer from Dallas who started a conversation with me on the bus to the airport. I can't tell you how much this means to me.

2. My Health Club I belong to a sports club in downtown Boston and it is just great, miles better than anything I have known in Europe. It is spotlessly clean, friendly (see above) and, among other things, has the world's greatest yoga teacher.

3. Zipcar Zipcar, in case you don't know it, is an on-line car hire system where members can reserve cars by the hour. I don't have a car in the U.S. and this is just about perfect -- there is a Zipcar parked about 20 yards from where I live and, so long as I remember to book it when I need it (actually, not all that often) I have all the convenience of a car, without
    the hassle.

So what (apart from the Patriots) would you miss?
  2. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Nice topic. I'd miss the variety and diversity -- culturally, topographically, etc. It's stimulating living here, and the possibilities are endless. You can drive for days in pretty much any direction, yet it's still America. I'm originally from the Midwest and sometimes miss the relaxed, connected-to-the-earth feeling you get from wide-open spaces (and believe it or not, people are much warmer/friendlier there). But in New England, you have mountains, ocean, four distinct seasons and most any entertainment/recreational pursuit you could want practically at your fingertips.
  3. Patjew

Patjew PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I miss not living in China.
  4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,016 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

The girls, by far. Unless I moved to Sweden or Brazil.
  5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Mike, I've heard about people being more friendly from a number of different sources. It's something that makes me quite jealous. The UK seems to be such a paranoid country at the moment, with everyone scared of strangers. :(
  6. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

And the sad thing is that all too often they have reason to be ... Can you imagine a tailgate before a Man U./Liverpool game? I guess all we can do is make sure that we play our own little part in keeping things light and fun. Cheers, mate!
  7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Funny you say that. I'd have said almost exactly the opposite -- after all, you only have to drive a couple of hundred miles in Europe (sometimes less) to be in another country. And the density of history around you is overwhelming (I'm in Berlin at the minute and it doesn't get much denser) which gives you even more cultural variety and diversity. But reading what you say, I think in a way you're saying the same thing -- as you say, drive for days and days and it's still America. Europe (at least to a European) doesn't have that feeling of being one big place -- or, at least, not yet.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  8. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

People are just plain ignorant IMO. Theres a massive lack of respect nowadays, massive. Long gone are the days were you could strike up a conversation waiting for a train or bus, you just get looked at like you've two heads now. No more thank you's if you hold a door...

Scared or they just don't care? Times are changing and for the worse.
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  9. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did live over seas for 2 years. I missed the ability to get in a car and drive without the need for a passport from one side of this huge land mass to the other, and interact with 48 differenent cultures if I wanted to do so. From Texans to New Yorkers, to La to Boston, from New Orleans to Detroit and all the places in between. What makes this country so effing fantastic, is the people.
  10. fourthandmiles

fourthandmiles Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Memorial Day services got me thinking about things like this Mike. There are so many good things about this country and we have the freedom to take advantage of it all. We are truely blessed.

It is all the rage to bash the President, nitpick about the candidates and complain about the economy. But starting now I am going to step above all that and fly the flag in front of my house. Without shame I am going to be the Patriot a know I am. Be a flag wavier. Hold my hand over my heart when they play the National Anthem. We did not get here because we are a bunch of wussies. I would miss the Patirotism. I'd see a clip of Fourth of July celebrations and be insanely jelious that I was not there to be a part of it.

America, Love it or Leave it!
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

New England...from the Cape to the Northeast Kingdom.

The women

American music from bluegrass to soul.

Northern California and Oregon

Fourth of July and Halloween with the kids.
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  12. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Mmm ... of course it's good that American men like American women (and Polish men, Polish women, Chinese men Chinese women, and so on) but I promise you that Berlin will help you get over the loss.
  13. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

I would miss everything about this country. Yes, we do have some major problems with our educational, political, justice, and economic systems but every country I have been to have these problems as well.

There is a reason why the U.S. is the only superpower in the world and there is a reason why so many people who don't live here want to be here. It is because of the freedoms and opportunities that we are provided on a daily basis.

I couldn't be more proud of the fact that I served my country and now because of my service, I am able to afford to go to school and earn my degrees. I am living the American dream and don't want to ever be awakened.

During my service, my eyes were truly opened to the fact that we as Americans are incredibly blessed to live in this great country of ours. It's just too bad there are many who live here who take it for granted.
  14. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Heck Yeah! Halloween with the kids, what a blast.
  15. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

People speaking a language I can understand :)
  16. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Cheers, indeed!
  17. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +210 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Good one -- I totally disapprove of all the sweets (candy) but the kids all dressed up and going round the town is brilliant. It's starting to catch on in Europe but doesn't have that wholesome American suburban feel to it.

(Actually, most cultures seem to have some kind of winter festival with candles or bonfires -- St Martin's Day (lanterns) in Germany, those crazy Swedish chicks with candles on their heads, Diwali in India, Guy Fawkes Night in the U.K. I'm sure there are more.)
  18. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

^Venice's Carnivale.

As far as what I find myself missing the most whenever I'm abroad....

walking or driving around town slowly sipping a litre of mediocre or bad coffee. I'm not being facetious here. Café Américain or café Américano just isn't the same and it's nowhere close to a litre.