Welcome to PatsFans.com

What Would You Have Done

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

A snow man is nothing but a pile of snow when it gets warm the snow man will melt never to be seen again, you got that a pile of f-cking snow, a man lost his job over a damn snow man.

Some dip sh!ts built a snow man in the street a bus driver rather than slamming on his brakes and going into a skid ran over the snow man, a bus going into a sideways skid could very well tip over, watch the car in front the bus swerve to miss a stupid snow man a bus trying to swerve like that car did was in clear danger of rolling over, the bus company had a meeting with the driver then he resigned, the officials of that bus company had to be be a bunch of crazy loony bastard liberals.

I was a truck driver for 42 years we were always taught that if an animal came came up in front of you never ever swerve kill the animal not yourself or somebody else.
    Watch The Video the bus driver should be commended not punished.

Get a load of the headline "Snowman Hit And Run" did they really expect the driver to stop for a friggin snow man, did they want him to call 9ll, did the morons want want him to build another snowman or put a blanket over a pile of god damn snow.

Bus Driver Resigns After Snowman Hit-and-Run | NBC Chicago

Jesus Saves :bricks:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +62 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

What would i do....Punt.:singing:

Seriously i would have run it over. The first reaction of most people in a situation like this is to slam on the breaks. Not me i get ready to hit the breaks, but i try and steer around something, in this case like i said go through it.
  3. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Exactly, as I said in the post we were always told at safety meetings never swerve for an animal, kill it, it has happend to me several times especially at night with skunks, cats and slow porcupines I always tried to put them dead center between the wheels than hoped they would freeze, when I looked in the mirror sometimes they did sometimes they didn't. I hit a cat one night dead on I saw him fly up in the air, he disappeard, I thought "where the f-ck did he go, then bang, I hit him again the first time I hit him he went up out of sight when he came back down I hit the poor bastard again.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Clearly a hate crime
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Ok....if you guys really watch the video it's obvious that the bus driver swerves OUT OF HIS LANE to hit the snowman.

The first car slows down, veers left into the other lane and goes around the snowman...the bus driver is coming the opposite way, meaning the snow man is not in his lane - I had to watch it twice to be sure but if you watch closely the bus swerves out of his own lane into the oncoming traffic lane, nails Frosty and then swerves back into his original lane.

As Harry pointed out....swerving and changing lanes while driving a bus or truck is a bit different than swerving in a car. You're much more likely to skid, jackknife or flip in a larger vehicle.

From the looks of the video the bus driver deliberately left his own lane and went into an opposing traffic lane in order to hit the snowman. It wasn't that he was smartly not avoiding him, he was stupidly gunning for him.

Thing is...even if he hadn't clearly crossed the median deliberately he should have at least slowed down some, don't you think? It was night, it was dark, and where there are snowmen there are usually children. How would anyone know for sure that there wasn't some stupid little kid behind the snowman putting a finishing touch on it? It was large enough to have been seen from a distance - unlike an animal it was large, bright white and clearly visible from far enough away to slow down or even completely stop without too much difficulty.

So, Harry.......last paragraph aside which I figure you'll dismiss as whiney "save the children" stuff - watch it again, please and tell me that the guy should get a medal for swerving a city vehicle into an oncoming traffic lane and hitting a snowman which wasn't even in his path to begin with.

And what about the kids filming it? I would presume they were the ones who placed the snowman in the middle of the street - shouldn't they be getting in some kind of trouble, too?
  6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +537 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

How is this a big deal? Stupid people run this country...jeezus h kristovsky.

I saw no swerving in this video, by the way. I'm dumber for having even heard of this story.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

He's clearly in the wrong lane, Nikolai....

If you don't want to believe me (and I'm sure there are plenty here who don't) here's another article about it:

A BUS driver has been forced to resign after veering into the wrong lane to flatten a snowman.

The public transit bus can be seen in a YouTube video deliberately crossing on to the wrong side of the road to demolish the sculpture built on a quiet residential road by students.

The incident was filmed on the on the University of Illinois campus in Urbana.

The video starts with a car travelling on the correct side of the road, having to slow down and precariously make its way around the obstacle.

Then from the other direction appears the bus, driving on the wrong side of the road, before hitting the snowman full on.

The students can be heard shrieking with laughter.

Bus driver forced to quit after 'brutal murder of snowman' left on the road | Herald Sun
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I live on a little sidestreet, but if I ever see a snowman on my street, I'll make NO effort to avoid it. Streets are for driving, not for kids to play in....

Just give whoever built the snowman a hanky to cry in.

boo hoo hoo:rolleyes:

If the guy driving the bus drove in the wrong lane, he should be fired. But somone should have run the thing over anyway. The students should be put on acedemic probation for being stupid enough to build a snowman in the street! Now that's frikkn STUPID!
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

The Impression that I get.. the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones..

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

My final conclusion, the bus driver was bored and who among us could resist it a Snowman in the road, I think I would have backed up and ran over it again maybe he shouldn't get a medal but I think maybe a "smile" the little kiddies could always build another also didn't these kids build it just for that purpose to sit on the front stairs and watch somebody hit it.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

So your final thought is that it would have been horribly wrong and dangerous for the bus driver to have swerved out of his lane in order to avoid hitting a snowman but it's a "smile" to have swerved out of his lane in order to actually hit a snowman?

Can you explain to me why one is more dangerous than the other?
  12. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +537 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

You said swerve.

Veer =/= Swerve

swerve /swɜrv/ 1. to turn aside abruptly in movement or direction; deviate suddenly from the straight or direct course.

A decent example of swerving that google provided me.
    [​IMG]

I do understand that life for Americans is often dull, but let's not assign superlatives to everyday events just to "spice things up".

What a huge public danger I saw there. Stupid story. Seriously. You will never get me to agree that this man deserved to lose his job over this. Post all the articles you like.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm of two minds. To his credit he did eliminate a stupidly-placed road hazard and nothing bad came of his actions. He also crossed the double yellow line in awful conditions. I'm gonna go with the assumption that he had a poor employment record and this was the last straw, so to speak.
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Thanks for the attempted English lesson....but "veer" and "swerve" are one and the same.

veer 1 (vîr)v. veered, veer·ing, veers
    v.intr.
    1. To turn aside from a course, direction, or purpose; swerve: "a sequence of adventures that veered between tragedy and bleak farce" (Anthony Haden-Guest). See Synonyms at swerve.
    2. To shift clockwise in direction, as from north to northeast. Used of the wind.
    3. Nautical To change the course of a ship by turning the stern to the wind while advancing to windward; wear ship.

veer - definition of veer by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Swerve - words related to:

Synonyms: break, cut, sheer, veer, yaw, zag, zig
    Antonyms: straighten
    see all synonyms and antonyms

Swerve - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  15. Nikolai

Ratings:
    +537 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Attempted is correct.

There is a subtle difference between the two words and how they are used in practice. Apparently, you are not going to grasp the idea of how "suddenly" or "abruptly" affect the meaning and usage of the two words. I won't hold it against you. Seriously, I really am done with the quibbling. It's pretty irrelevant to me because that's not really the point. The wider point is that what this guy did should not have cost him his job. Fact.

That's really all I have to say.
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

There was nothing coming the other way and he didn't swerve he purposely turned, hit it, and went back to his own lane, he may have saved a life, who knows what some other drivers reaction may have been that didn't see the snowman until the last minute and they swerved, some driver traveling in the snowmans lane, maybe thats what the little darlings were waiting for, maybe they wanted to see somebody roll over.

:eek:
  17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Bus driver got real life trolled by annoying college kids.