PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would YOU do with the first rounders?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would YOU do with the two first rounders?

• Keep them as is

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Trade BOTH up for a high 1st rounder

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • EXCHANGE them for a mid-1st and mid-2nd

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Trade one pick DOWN

• Trade one pick OUT into next year

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (please explain below!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not asking what you think Belioli will do with the picks, I'm asking what you'd do if you were in their shoes--assuming you could find a willing trade partner.

In general terms, I can see these possibilities:

* Keep the picks more or less as they are. (This would include trades that keep the picks in the 20s.)
* Move up to around 8 by trading BOTH picks.
* Exchange 24 and 28 for a mid-first and mid-second.
* Trade DOWN into later rounds (e.g., 24 or 28 for TB's two seconds).
* Trade OUT into next year.

Personally, I can see logical reasons for doing any of these. So--which ones would YOU do? [You can vote for multiple options; just check the boxes for the options you agree with.]

Last edited:
Trade up with Washington (looking to trade down) if Gaines Adams is there.

Trade up with Houston if not and take LaRon Landry if we can.

If none of this works, pick someone solid at 24 and make a reach for a player we like at 28 (David Harris?)

I would like to see us trade both picks to go up in round 1 while gaining a second rounder. But only if the right person is available in the first, but not expected to drop to #24.

Stay where we are and get two potential starters that the Pats will

have for five full years.

I don't see the first round having that many Pats-type prospects. But I do see round two having a few that represent solid value.

Speculation:

If the Pats top ranked prospects are all gone by #24, I could see a trade down or out. The same with #28. These trades may earn us a 2nd-rounder this draft, and/or a day one pick for '08. Such a trade may represent more value than staying put and selecting a prospect who happens to be highest on the board, but not one of BB's favorites.

It all depends on how the draft unfolds. BB has a tendency to target specific prospects, and if he's not able to move around to get that player, he may at that time explore a trade option.

There are so many hypothetical scenarios on draft day, it would take too much time to list them all. One such scenario that's been mentioned is trading up from #24 to get Landry. I don't agree with this one at all. The Safety position has so much quality and depth this draft, that IMO (not BB's), trading up for a Safety is poor value, when you have so many Safety options later on. And this comes from someone who wanted Landry last draft for the Pats (if he declared).

I could see us moving up for Revis, if Samuel seems like a difficult sign, and because IMO, CB is not that deep a position unless you include the cover corners who can't tackle. Drafting Samuels' replacement NOW makes sense, and represents value IF BB thinks Revis is the one.

Overall, in round one, Pats-type prospects are slim pickings. If these prospects are all off the board -- what are we going to do? To speculate even further, if I had to choose, I'd say we'll remain in our slots or trade down.

Other.

Ideally, my #1 ranked DL drops to #24 and my #1 ranked CB drops to #28. Since that is unlikely, I'm first going to take Asante at his word and assume he is re-signed. This relieves the initial pressure on the secondary. Adalius Thomas' signing relieves the initial pressure on the linebackers. Kyle Brady's signing and Sammy Morris' signing relieve initial concerns for TE and RB depth.

"My" concerns going forward are LB depth, Secondary depth, RB/OT/OL/WR Practice Squad depth, Reserve QB.

There are few "Patriots" players in the first round to my thinking. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Adam Carriker does well in the private workout with the Patriots and projects to OLB. In that case I'd try to trade up and would be willing to do a straight 2 for 1 swap with Houston at #8 if that looked to be the best option to land Carriker. Should Carriker get away, a trade with Green Bay for a shot at Revis or Hall and a 2nd round selection would be worth trying.

If no move-up trades develop, I'd prefer to move down, if that wasn't possible, I'd take Leonard and Weddle as the most versatile players with apparent second round grades, though Bradley may move up and replace Weddle depending on my mood and any late FA moves.

I would exchange them for 16 and 47 to green bay for our 2 firsts and get willis with 16 and get a saftey like weddle or wendling with 47

I always like to get another #1 for the next year, you never know when you'll hit the jackpot with a really high pick.

I'm fine with the kind of players we'll be able to get this year but not excited, I would trade #28 for a third round pick and a #1 in 2008 if the opportunity arose.

Not too excited about trading up unless it's a smallish move if someone unexpected is dropping to within 5 spots of us.

I can justify almost any scenario.

1. If somebody offers us an equivalent to the Boller/Wilfork trade, that's huge value. Grab it. But not that many such deals wind up being available any year, perhaps even an average of less than 1.

2. 24 is a little low to camp out under a slider. If the right guy slides a bit, or if somebody like Revis or a particular LB seems highly attractive, trade for a 1st and 2nd.

3. Trade 1 pick for 2 first day picks and that's 4 first day picks overall. There will be room for all those guys on the roster. And 2nd day picks can be spent to snag just the right first-day guys, or traded forward, or something.

4. If Landry is judged to be a true game-changer, then shoot the wad on him. Landry PLUS Thomas would be a big change to the defense.

Or Carricker plus Thomas, with Vrabel staying inside.

I can justify almost any scenario.

1. If somebody offers us an equivalent to the Boller/Wilfork trade, that's huge value. Grab it. But not that many such deals wind up being available any year, perhaps even an average of less than 1.

2. 24 is a little low to camp out under a slider. If the right guy slides a bit, or if somebody like Revis or a particular LB seems highly attractive, trade for a 1st and 2nd.

3. Trade 1 pick for 2 first day picks and that's 4 first day picks overall. There will be room for all those guys on the roster. And 2nd day picks can be spent to snag just the right first-day guys, or traded forward, or something.

4. If Landry is judged to be a true game-changer, then shoot the wad on him. Landry PLUS Thomas would be a big change to the defense.

I think the two best options are:
1: Staying at 24, and 28. Someone could fall, and who's to say someone we all like won't?

2: Trade both first for a mid first and a mid second.

Trading with the Packers, NE could get the 16th overall pick, and the 47th overall pick (I believe they pick 15th in the second, not 16th). This actually makes more sense considering the "value" available at these two picks, compared to 24 and 28. At 16 you could probably get Reggie Nelson, maybe Carriker, maybe Willis, Lynch, Moss, and Meachem. While it is more unlikely they'll fall to 24, or 28. At 47 you could take a second round talent, instead of reaching with 28. People like David Harris, Siler, Woodley, Meriweather, Leonard, Spencer, Harrell, Weddle, and Bush could still be available, as well as some very good O-Linemen.

When I think about it the "value" at 16, and 48 looks to be better than at 24, and 28. So, maybe this should be option one....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye