PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would YOU do with an extra first rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure the thought of Wilfork really excited BB too much. Before the draft there was tremendous talk of Wilfork playing on roller skates, and he proved that pretty much his first year and a half in the league.

And while he did fix it that for the second half of 2005, he reverted a bit in the opener against the Bills.

Overall though, unless it is the absolute right player, there is no way I'd do a two for one.

Last draft I thought AJ Hawk was a lock as a player, well worthy of a 2 for 1 trade, but after watching him in the preseason, I'm thinking I might have bought the hype too much. I'm not seeing the production from him that I thought I would.

Paul Pozynlowski is slipping off my board..he hasnt been playing near as well as hes capable

i say we stay and get

Safety or corner-..McCauley, Hall, Jackson, Landry, Meriweather,Griffin
and 1 LB maybe WR if a good 1 comes here - Rufus Alexander, Patrick Willis

Obviously best player available. But if it fell our way, I'd go in priority:
1) Rush OLB/LOT
2) CB
3) intimidating safety
4) OT

I believe CJ will be a #1 WR by next year, and a #2 can be picked up cheaply in FA if Gabriel doesn't develop. ILBs are of lesser importance with the dominance of our front 3. A Merriman type (lord willing) would be ideal, which is why I liked Kiwanuka last year. If Light can't hack it and Kaczur can't stay on the field, a Left Tackle prospect might become necessary. After that, a Cb (assuming Hobbs is a #1 and Samuel leaves, or if Samuel signs the rook can play slot). Then a Harrison replacement, a real thug intimidator who can set an edgy tone for the D.

I believe that the Patriots need to go after the skilled positions, they really need a shutdown corner and a great wideout. We are not hurting for depth we could then package the rest of our picks in 2007 to pick up a SS, OLB/ILB and OT.

When we win this year SB and if we want to continue in our dynasty we need a triple threat both on Offense (QB, RB, WR) and Defense (OLB/DE, CB and SS/FS). We build depth though FA and resign our own players.

If we win I believe that Troy Brown will retire leaving a WR spot open, the CB position needs and upgrade we don't have that CB that can come in and play the nickle spot or a CB that can shut down half of the field. The age of the linebackers is a concern adding two within the draft will help.

If we focus on skilled positions we put ourselfs in a Celtic like dynasty especially by adding one-to- three skilled players to next years roster, we would be dominating this league for another four to six years.

The one player I really want for the Pats is Ted Ginn Jr. Brown retiring means we need a punt returner-slot receiver. Also he can help our kickoff return as well. He played CB at Ohio State as well as WR so he can fill Brown's role there as well. He probably will be able to cover kicks on top of all that. This is all world versatility and would be a huge addition. I don't think we need another tall receiver threat. Our offense excels in the short passing game. Ginn is electric.

I think safety as deep as it is in this year's draft should be a priority. Wilson has been shakey and Harrison is not getting any younger.

LB, we need to get younger.... or at least some younger under studies.

I like these 3 positions taken in the first 2 rounds......

If Ginn is not available..... Then best available player mabe impact CB

Old Town Pats said:
The one player I really want for the Pats is Ted Ginn Jr. Brown retiring means we need a punt returner-slot receiver. Also he can help our kickoff return as well. He played CB at Ohio State as well as WR so he can fill Brown's role there as well. He probably will be able to cover kicks on top of all that. This is all world versatility and would be a huge addition. I don't think we need another tall receiver threat. Our offense excels in the short passing game. Ginn is electric.

I think safety as deep as it is in this year's draft should be a priority. Wilson has been shakey and Harrison is not getting any younger.

LB, we need to get younger.... or at least some younger under studies.

I like these 3 positions taken in the first 2 rounds......

If Ginn is not available..... Then best available player mabe impact CB

Ted Ginn = Desmond Howard

We need a linebacker. Lamarr Woodly would be an excellent pickup with that second pick. The first pick goes to the best player available in the back 7 on defense.

Is the following scenerio possible:
A OLB with a 1st round pick and a ILB in the middle rounds because learning ILB is more difficult.

Remix 6 said:
Paul Pozynlowski is slipping off my board..he hasnt been playing near as well as hes capable

i say we stay and get

Safety or corner-..McCauley, Hall, Jackson, Landry, Meriweather,Griffin
and 1 LB maybe WR if a good 1 comes here - Rufus Alexander, Patrick Willis

Rufus Alexander and Patrick Willis? Are you just picking the top rated LBs? Neither of these guys fit our scheme. Alexander is 220#s. He's not even on our radar. Willis is only slightly bigger. Neither one is likely to get much attention from BB/SP in the first round.

Landry and Meriweather are both undersized safeties (185 and 190#, respectively). Not a fit for the type of S Belichick would target in the first round. I'm telling you, Zbikowski at 210# is a pure tough guy that Belichick would find appealing... but probably not in the first round.

I dont think much of Leon Hall (another creation of the Michigan media machine), and DeAndre Jackson sounds... good but unexceptional.

My watch list for the first round: OLB Woodley, OC Young, WR Samardzija.... S Zbikowski, if he rises... and that's it so far.

I want to see more of Quentin Moses and Gaines Adams. If either of them can make the shift to LB, either one could be worth a trade-up.

Other than that, maybe Buster Davis, but he'd be better in the 2nd. And I'm prepared to give Posluzsny another look-- although I agree he's been a non-factor in a few games so far this season, his resume is too impressive to write off that casually. Someone like DE Lawrence Jackson (USC) if he declares; I'll need to see more of him on the field.

rookBoston said:
Rufus Alexander and Patrick Willis? Are you just picking the top rated LBs? Neither of these guys fit our scheme. Alexander is 220#s. He's not even on our radar. Willis is only slightly bigger. Neither one is likely to get much attention from BB/SP in the first round.

Landry and Meriweather are both undersized safeties (185 and 190#, respectively). Not a fit for the type of S Belichick would target in the first round. I'm telling you, Zbikowski at 210# is a pure tough guy that Belichick would find appealing... but probably not in the first round.

I dont think much of Leon Hall (another creation of the Michigan media machine), and DeAndre Jackson sounds... good but unexceptional.

My watch list for the first round: OLB Woodley, OC Young, WR Samardzija.... S Zbikowski, if he rises... and that's it so far.

I want to see more of Quentin Moses and Gaines Adams. If either of them can make the shift to LB, either one could be worth a trade-up.

Other than that, maybe Buster Davis, but he'd be better in the 2nd. And I'm prepared to give Posluzsny another look-- although I agree he's been a non-factor in a few games so far this season, his resume is too impressive to write off that casually. Someone like DE Lawrence Jackson (USC) if he declares; I'll need to see more of him on the field.

Posluzsny: I would think that there's got to be seem effect from the knee injury, conscious or not, he seems more cautious in his reactions. But I think that would be natural til he trusts it again.

Samardzija: that's tough given the whole baseball thing but he reacts to the ball so well when he leaves his feet. You have to leave him there til it's clear which way he goes.

Woodley: tremendous. At this moment in time he's my first choice.

Leon Hall: correct my vision. What do you see that you don't like? Or you just don't like him as a #1 pick?

drpatriot said:

We need a linebacker. Lamarr Woodly would be an excellent pickup with that second pick. The first pick goes to the best player available in the back 7 on defense.

I would say Peter Warrick, but I think our point's the same. I don't see him being anything but a good return man in the NFL. Maybe he can fashion a career like Alvis Whitted, and just run fly routes. He needs A LOT of work to be an every down WR.

Ginn=Desmond Howard
Ginn=Peter Warrick

I seriously disagree. You would rather us draft a big Wr that will not get separation in our quick hit offense?? He is a perfect fit. As for a returner I think Howard and Warrick both were pretty darn good. I think he will be much better at WR then both.

Leon Hall has been very good. He has good ball instincts
Woodley is a monster!!!!!

drpatriot said:

QUOTE]

Now thats the most idiotic comment I have heard all day.

Old Town Pats said:
Ginn=Desmond Howard
Ginn=Peter Warrick

I seriously disagree. You would rather us draft a big Wr that will not get separation in our quick hit offense?? He is a perfect fit. As for a returner I think Howard and Warrick both were pretty darn good. I think he will be much better at WR then both.

Leon Hall has been very good. He has good ball instincts
Woodley is a monster!!!!!

Well, all other things being equal, yes, I'd prefer a big receiver over a little one. But I have no problem with Ginn's size. He's a great athlete. He's got great speed. He doesn't look to me to be a great, or even very good, football player. No way is he a perfect fit. He's a terrible route runner, who can get by on athleticism at the college level. Raghib Ismail would probably be the best comparison. Considering he'll likely go in the top 15 picks, I think he's extremely over-rated.

With some good coaching, he could be a good NFL WR in time. But I wouldn't spend a high #1 pick on a guy like that.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of Smardzia like everyone else on this board. Calvin Johnson is absolutely unreal.... he is gone top 10 for sure. Dwayne Jarrett is great.... If he is around when the Pats pick I wouldn't mind him. Ted Ginn is the one guy who stretches the field. Great returner as well. That is a big question mark for the Pats. Our return game is hurting. A name to look at later is Steve Smith. The other USC receiver, quick and agile. Runs better routes than Ginn but is not as fast or explosive.

He's not a 1st rdr, but I was impressed with that Prescot Burgess kid, the LB from Michigan. Listed at 6'3'' 245. A playmaker, good hands in coverage, a natural athlete, good size and pedigree. Big plays in big games. We'll have to wait and see. Also interested in Justin Warren at Texas A & M. Another big kid, 6'2'', 245.

Last edited:
I'm a Rams fan, if we had an extra 1st round pick, I am trading up for Patrick Willis MLB Mississippi. I feel, that eventually he'll be the first LB taken in the draft, and I see him as a vitually lock, barring injury, or in other words, eventually a top 5 pick. I would use that for him., but we do not have an extra 1st rounder, but Willis is going to be real good. Watch this kid, he'll remind you of the great MLBs like **** Butkis, Ray Nitchke, or Bill Curtis. He can flat out play. Ask the members of my board, I would like to draft him nextyear, but I don't like trading everything to get him, since we need help in other areas, like CB, an depth on the OLine. Especially needing help at LG or Center, once they can figure the best place for Richie Incognito. Mark Setterstrom is the future RG. Still, I feel their is not enough ammo to get Patrick Willis, and try and help other areas in the draft as well.

I'm liking the idea of DE/OLB Woodley and OC Young

Griffin is the guy for me right now. We need help at Safety with Rodney aging and Wilson having plateued. Griffin can run and hit. He's a great special teams player, both in coverage and blocking kicks. And his parents are both ex-military. Sounds like a great late #1 pick to me.

rookBoston said:
I'm liking the idea of DE/OLB Woodley and OC Young
I know we went big with O'Callaghan but as much as Pat Hill loves Young, I'm thinking he's bigger and slower than we'll want at Center.

BelichickFan said:
I know we went big with O'Callaghan but as much as Pat Hill loves Young, I'm thinking he's bigger and slower than we'll want at Center.
I don't recall him pulling much in the Oregon game, just driving ahead a lot, but that seemed to make a hole or two. If Pat is calling him the best lineman he's ever coached, he's worth a good long look, no reason he has to stay at C...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back