PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you do if you were Deion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
You are already 27 years old.

If the Patriots place the franchise tag on you next season, you will be 29 to 30 years old by the time you reach free agency.

Who is going to give a 30-year-old WR the big bucks??

And you saw what they did to Adam when the team repeatedly placed the franchise tag on him.

And what happens if you get injured? You also saw what happened to Ty Law.

As to sticking to your contract, you know the team tore up Brady's rookie contract and negotiated a more lucrative one.

So what would you do??

i'd counter-offer, for starters

mikey said:
And you saw what they did to Adam when the team repeatedly placed the franchise tag on him.
:confused:

They tagged Vinatraitor once then didn't when they could have a second time.

Poor Deion, if he played this year and was Franchised next year he'd put around $9M in the bank over those two years. Add another $10M if they franchised him again (20% increase). He'd have made $20M be a UFA and still in his prime.

BelichickFan said:
Poor Deion, if he played this year and was Franchised next year he'd put around $9M in the bank over those two years. Add another $10M if they franchised him again (20% increase). He'd have made $20M be a UFA and still in his prime.
EXACTLY. It's not like the guy would suffer if franchised. He could earn more that way than any other for those years.

I'd fire my agent.

When he signs a six year contract with the Jets or Seattle he'll be 33 before he becomes a free agent, (34 if I use your math Mikey).

How is this better?

I might shut up, get to camp and play hard so one could be a free agent...I think that is quite obvious..counter offer..of course??? NOT doing that is like a 2 year old not wishing to talk..sulking in the corner..

mikey said:

Poor Adam. he only was the highest paid kicker in the league while he was with the pats. Oh and lets not forget, he signed with that other team when their offer was only about 100k more per year over the life of the contract. Using Vinatieri's example only seems to make the franchise tag that much more appealing for Branch which is why he is such an idiot for holding out now. If he was really smart, he would have signed the extension or at least played this year out and either become a free agent or get signed at the average of the 5 most highly paid WR's in the NFL.

Let's get Mikey, he'll crap on the Patriots

:trolls: :explative

Deion has a decision to make... either stay upset with the patriots, act like a baby and give ~$1M back to them, or man up get your ass on the field, play the game you supposedly love with the teammates that you have bonded with and earn $1M.

Those are his only 2 decisions at this point in time, and it sure as hell seems like he'll be taking the baby route at the cost of $1M. To think of all the things I could do with $1M friggin dollars!

mikey said:

If the Patriots place the franchise tag on you next season, you will be 29 to 30 years old by the time you reach free agency.

Yeah, he made ungodly amounts of money for 2 years then signed a huge contract with the Colts.
mikey said:
As to sticking to your contract, you know the team tore up Brady's rookie contract and negotiated a more lucrative one.

So what would you do??

I would realize all the marketing opportunities and potential from playing for a championship ballclub and being a Super Bowl MVP.

I'd sign the contract the pats offered knowing that I have taken care of my family and still have the privilege to play with the greatest QB of all time!

Becoming a free agent at 29 is a good thing. Getting to become a free agent TWICE IN YOUR PRIME is a rare opportunity that the Patriots allowed by offering him the option of a 3-year OR 5-year deal.

I'd fire my agent, make a counter offer, and sign the Pats' counter offer.
Playing with the Jets will put him in Damien Woody's $$$ but will also help his career the same way. Besides, running routes with Brown and catching passes from Brady has to be worth a lot of money, too.

mikey said:

So what would you do??

I would call Mikey from Patsfans.com b/c he always knows what to do in every situation?????? ;)

Last edited:
I would hold out until Week 9 thereby fulfilling the minimum terms of my contract.

I would then tell the Patriots' offer if they tag me again in 2007 that I will not sign the tender until after Day 1 of the draft. While I may sign the tender on Day 2 to facilitate a trade, I will not sign the tender until the last day of TC if there is not a trade.
If there is no trade and I am on the Patrots, I then guarantee myself around $7.5 million for the 2007 season.
If there is no trade and I am on the Patriots, I then play to my ability in 2007.
I would then get a long-term deal in 2008 from either the Pats or a new team as I seriously doubt that the Pats would tag me again in 2008.

I would remember that Derrick Mason, Harrison, and Owens all got big-money deals after they reached the age of 30.

mikey said:

So what would you do??

Actually, the Patriots did NOT tear up Brady's rookie contract and give him a more lucrative one. The Patriots negotiated a 4 year extension for Brady that also uped his base salary for 2002 to 375K. Yes, Brady got a 4 million dollar signing bonus that year.

If you actually LOOK at the offers and how they were done, they are nearly IDENTICAL to one another.

DaBruinz said:
Actually, the Patriots did NOT tear up Brady's rookie contract and give him a more lucrative one. The Patriots negotiated a 4 year extension for Brady that also uped his base salary for 2002 to 375K. Yes, Brady got a 4 million dollar signing bonus that year..

FYI - Brady's 2002 salary was increased from $358K to $375K not because of his extension but because the minimum salary for a player with 2 seasons increased to $375K in 2002. In other words, if Brady did not extend his deal, his 2002 salary would have been $375K anyway.

Miguel said:
I would hold out until Week 9 thereby fulfilling the minimum terms of my contract.
So you would ignore your contract and throw away about $1M ? Really ? I'm disappointed, seriously.

I would play my contract out for the "pitiful" $1M, buy an insurance policy against a career ender and happily know I'm set for life whatever happens.

Miguel said:
FYI - Brady's 2002 salary was increased from $358K to $375K not because of his extension but because the minimum salary for a player with 2 seasons increased to $375K in 2002. In other words, if Brady did not extend his deal, his 2002 salary would have been $375K anyway.

Thank you for the correction. That lends itself even MORE to the idea that the Pats are handling the Branch extension the exact same way they handled the Brady one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back