PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you consider a "dream" first round next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason I didnt like Mccourty pick was b/c it ruled out any chance of us going after Patrick Peterson in 2011. Hes one of the best corners with Bailey/revis shut down potential I've seen in a while.

Another reason I didnt like Mccourty pick was b/c it ruled out any chance of us going after Patrick Peterson in 2011. Hes one of the best corners with Bailey/revis shut down potential I've seen in a while.

Well, considering that McCourty outplayed him by a considerable margin last year, it's hard to put Peterson above him. Yes, Peterson has great size, fluidity, and potential, but he doesn't really look for contact or always find himself in the right place. McCourty, on the other hand, produced the lowest completion percentage and yards surrendered to opposing quarterbacks of any corner in college football last year. He's also faster, has more consistent technique, understands defenses well, and has a drive to be great. The more I learn about him, the more convinced I am that he's going to be an excellent corner for us for many years.

One last thought: Amukamara is better than Peterson, who may be the third best corner coming out next year. If our secondary shapes up the way I think it will, we won't need Amukamara, but I'd sure as heck love to draft him anyway. He's the next Asomugha, in my opinion. Incredible talent.

Unless Darius is reinstated, he could experience a precipitous fall. In fact, he might not even go in the first round at all, given the glut of defensive line talent this upcoming year. That said, I'm not positive he's the perfect fit as a two-gapper. I think he's a good player, highly explosive, and can definitely play the end in a 34. My concern is that it wastes his considerable talents.
I see what you're saying.

I'm totally on board with Quinn, though. In fact, I've decided that I'd be more than happy to use any chip we have available, including our second 1st rounder, to move up and take him if required. We've stockpiled so many picks lately that we don't really have room on the roster for another dozen rookies--why not cash in on one of the most talented players I've ever had the privilege of watching?
I hear that, whatever it takes, I hope we get him. He has Ware potenital IMO.

More and more, lately, I'd like to see us go offensive line early next year. I am not opposed to double-dipping, either: a highly-rated guard/center and tackle would do nicely.
Yeah, especially if we don't keep Mankins.

Last edited:
Well, considering that McCourty outplayed him by a considerable margin last year, it's hard to put Peterson above him. Yes, Peterson has great size, fluidity, and potential, but he doesn't really look for contact or always find himself in the right place. McCourty, on the other hand, produced the lowest completion percentage and yards surrendered to opposing quarterbacks of any corner in college football last year. He's also faster, has more consistent technique, understands defenses well, and has a drive to be great. The more I learn about him, the more convinced I am that he's going to be an excellent corner for us for many years.

One last thought: Amukamara is better than Peterson, who may be the third best corner coming out next year. If our secondary shapes up the way I think it will, we won't need Amukamara, but I'd sure as heck love to draft him anyway. He's the next Asomugha, in my opinion. Incredible talent.

Im not as high on Mccourty as you are. I think Peterson will be leaps and bounds better than him. Mccourty was a zone corner in the games i saw him play. I think Peterson will be a much better man to man corner. Mccourty saw his stock rise due to the combine and his forty time. Mayock, kiper, and mcshay all spoke about his special teams abilities before his cover abilities. Not a good sign. Preferred Patrick Robinson, as I thought he had better hips, could play on an island, and would really excel with a coach like BB.

Ryan Mallett and Allen Bailey. That would be the perfect first round in my eyes. Bailey, because he's a beast, what more can I say? And Mallett, because Brady will be 33 when the season starts. Assuming he gets an extension, he will probably play until 37 max. Mallett is 22 and would go into the Aaron Rodgers school of learning behind one of the greatest of all time. When Brady hangs them up and gets ready for the Hall of Fame, Mallett will be 26 and ready to light the world on fire for 10 years and the process of Patriots dominence continues.

Probably not the most popular pick(s), or opinion(s), but they are mine.

Basically my scenario goes. we get the raiders pick at 4 or 5 trade down to 10 and pick up their 2nd rounder.

Then with our 1st 4 picks we select. 3-4 DE, OLB, WR, OG

Just for kicks i will say Crick, Quinn, Baldwin, Insert Best Guard Here

That nails down starting end, Olb to take over eventually from TBC, Moss replacement, and Neal/Mankins Replacement

I think it will shock a lot of non-Pats fans and they'll come up with all sorts of excuses (cake schedule, bad officiating, etc.), but the Pats will have their pick from 28-32, if not 32 . The Raiders pick, I think, will be more mid-teens as I expect them to win 7 or 8 this season.

I think McCourty will be fine for us. The reason that the talking heads zeroed in on his special teams prowess, I think, is his tackling ability as well as his speed. Good to have corners with speed, range, coverage skills AND who are very willing and able to wrap up. I'd like to see us snag a FS like that since the only guy we have at safety who can really cover is Meriweather, and his tackling is, well, you know.

If McCourty doesn't spend some time this season working out as a backup for Meriweather, I think we're also looking for a safety in 2011.

I'm not among those making the assumption that Moss won't want to finish out the final 3-5 years of his career with Brady, so I'm not at all certain that we'll be taking a WR with one of the first-rounders.

The 2011 looks to be a terrible draft so don't surprised if BB trades the first pick for 2012. Ugh.

On the other hand if the Patriots get a high pick from the Raiders I could see them going for the best available pass rusher or (gasp) QB. I just do not see Brady playing much longer.

1A. barksdale(OT)
1B. crawford(OLB)
2A. crick (DE for us)
2B. Wisniewski/Hudson (OG)
3. Demarco Murray (RB)

1a) CB Patrick Peterson
1b) OLB Ryan Kerrigan

or

1a) OLB Robert Quinn
1b) CB Prince Amukamara

Either way, we address the same needs and improve our pass defense. The former has a better chance of happening though.

Ryan Mallett and Allen Bailey. That would be the perfect first round in my eyes. Bailey, because he's a beast, what more can I say? And Mallett, because Brady will be 33 when the season starts. Assuming he gets an extension, he will probably play until 37 max. Mallett is 22 and would go into the Aaron Rodgers school of learning behind one of the greatest of all time. When Brady hangs them up and gets ready for the Hall of Fame, Mallett will be 26 and ready to light the world on fire for 10 years and the process of Patriots dominence continues.

Probably not the most popular pick(s), or opinion(s), but they are mine.

Ryan Mallet = Jay Cutler

No thank you. And BB would never want that type of QB.

Ryan Mallet = Jay Cutler

Agreed 100%, BB has no use for reckless gunslingers. I could see him taking a 5th-7th round chance on Greg McElroy if he wants a QB.

Man, you guys are dreaming small.

Here's my dream

(1) Oakland finishes 0-13 for the worst record in the NFL and the #1 overall pick
(2) Cleveland trades into the #1 slot to select their QB of the future ahead of Buffalo, giving New England the #7 overall selection, their 2nd rounder #39 overall, plus their 1st round pick in 2012
(3) With the #7 pick, Patriots select Marcell Dareus, DE Alabama, even tho Robert Quinn is on the board. Dareus is 20#s heavier than Quinn, who looks like a true 4-3 end to me. And Dareus plays in a similar hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense at the hands of Nick Saban, Belichick's former defensive coordinator. Frankly, I don't see why Pats fans are so over the top about Quinn. His film is impressive, but BB doesn't design his defense around 280# defensive ends that cant drop into coverage.
(4) At the #19 pick, the Patriots trade up (giving up #34 from Panthers and #39 from Cleveland), to select RB Mark Ingram. Ingram falls this far because he twists his ankle in the national championship game, and is unable to run at the Combine. In his private workouts, he is only timed at 4.6 in the 40, and scouts question whether he will truly be an elite back in the NFL. Those idiots.
(5) With the #32 pick, the Patriots trade into the 2012 draft, acquiring Denver's 2nd round pick in 2012, as well as their 2011 2nd rounder (#45 overall).

Final outcome from Day One: Dareus, Ingram, 2012 first round pick from Cleveland, 2012 second round pick from Denver.

6.) Marcell Dareus
32.) Daniel Thomas
33.) Pierre Allen
64.) Justin Boren

Resign Randy Moss.

(3) With the #7 pick, Patriots select Marcell Dareus, DE Alabama, even tho Robert Quinn is on the board. Dareus is 20#s heavier than Quinn, who looks like a true 4-3 end to me. And Dareus plays in a similar hybrid 3-4, 4-3 defense at the hands of Nick Saban, Belichick's former defensive coordinator. Frankly, I don't see why Pats fans are so over the top about Quinn. His film is impressive, but BB doesn't design his defense around 280# defensive ends that cant drop into coverage.

BB was interested in Julius Peppers, who's around that size, and doesn't really drop into coverage a whole lot. Some guys are worth adapting your scheme for.

Allen Bailey - DE - The U. Much better than Hayward.

Last edited:
Ryan Mallet = Jay Cutler

Bill will not get a 1st round QB as there are too many pressing needs on defense and some on offense. Tom Brady was a 6th round QB and they will most likely keep taking late round QBs until they get a winner. Also, Bryan Hoyer looks pretty good and who knows what will happen with him. Maybe he is the guy, although it may be far down the road.

I want, with our top 4 picks...
1a. DE
1b. OLB
2a. RB
2b. OL

You can flip a couple of those around depending on player availability. The only other reason it would change is if an elite player falls into our lap, maybe Patrick Peterson... Consider the high possibility of a trade down, which I'm fine with if it means more high picks for 2012 and we still get "our" guy.

Last edited:
BB was interested in Julius Peppers, who's around that size, and doesn't really drop into coverage a whole lot. Some guys are worth adapting your scheme for.

Well, Peppers is also 6-7 with gorilla arms and would have played as a down lineman, not as an OLB. Quinn doesn't have gorilla arms.

The closest thing to Quinn in a BB defense was Jarvis Green who is 6-3 285#. Quinn is a bit longer than Jarvis, but the knock on Jarvis was that he was always pushed off the ball in the running game. That's gonna happen when you're giving up 20# on the OLman that's bearing down on you.

For comparison:

Crable 250#
Banta-Cain 250#
Cunningham 260#
Ninkovich 245#
Vrabel 255#
Phifer 250#

TWarren 300#
Seymour 310#
Wright 295#
Deaderick 305#
Love 310#
Pryor 310#
Brace 330#
GWarren 330#

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same thing right now.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying the same thing right now.

I've seen McCourty blow a decent amount of coverages. Can't judge a guy after 4 games. Talk to me when their careers are over and let's see who is better. I'm pretty confident Peterson will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes