PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you change on this projected 53 man roster

Is it just me or is the overall construction of the roster beginning to look a lot better than in previous seasons?

Yep, this looks like a strong team on paper. Won't know until the games start unfortunately.

Yep, this looks like a strong team on paper. Won't know until the games start unfortunately.
I may be allowing the proliferation of young and exciting talent cloud my judgement Archeryaddict12. ;)

I found this on nepatriotsdraft.com

What would you change on this projected 53 man roster?
I would definitely think Ebner and Cole are in danger. For some reason, I think Zoltan might not make it......I know ...don't mess with the Zoltan.

OFFENSE:

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

RB: Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington, LeGarrette Blount

One of these RB's doesn't stick. My first guess is that Bolden and Blount are competing for the last spot but I also wouldn't be surprised to see Washington get the axe.

WR: Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui

OT: Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon

I think we keep another OT......I'll add Will Svitek but I have no idea who he is or where he came from.

OG: Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Markus Zusevics

OC: Ryan Wendell, Matt Stankiewitch

DEFENSE:

DT: Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love

I'm adding Deaderick

DE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan

Add Cunningham and Francis and send Buchanan to the practice squad. Not sure what we have in Bequette. I see Bequette, Ebner, and Cole battling for the last two spots...For now, I've got Bequette out.

OB: Jerod Mayo, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins

IB: Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

I'm sending Beauharnais to the practice squad

CB: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling, Marquice Cole

Dowling and Cole are both on the fringe. Dowling will probably get injured on his conditioning test so that will take care of him early on. We could go with only four CB's b/c McCourty is actually the 5th. Everybody wants to peg him as a S now but the truth is he's both. He's whatever we need him to be. I'll keep Cole for sp. teams

FS: Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon

SS: Adrian Wilson, Nate Ebner

I see Ebner on the fringe of making this team. It'll be him or Slater but probably not both. I also see Steve Gregory sticking. Don't know why everyone is down on him....I thought he played well last year.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Stephen Gostkowski

P: Zoltan Mesko

LS: Danny Aiken

My picks....

OFFENSE (25):

QB (2): Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

RB (4): Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington

WR (6): Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater

TE (4): Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui

OT (4): Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Will Svitek

OG (3): Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Markus Zusevics

OC (2): Ryan Wendell, Matt Stankiewitch

DEFENSE (25):

DT (5): Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead, Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Brandon Deaderick

DE (4): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Jermaine Cunningham

OLB (3): Jerod Mayo, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins

ILB (2): Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher

CB (5): Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole

FS (3): Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Steve Gregory

SS (3): Adrian Wilson, Duron Harmon, Nate Ebner

SPECIAL TEAMS (3):

I see Cole, Ebner, and Bequette fighting for the last two spots.

Bill would have to come to his senses?

Besides Slater, another guy I wouldn't mind seeing gone is Gostkowski. Unfortunately,
Bill didn't sign any UDFA PKs, such as Temple's Brandon McManus, who signed with Indy.
Too bad; he could've saved us $2M by signing - and winning the job - here.

Getting rid of Slater might improve the O, but it would likely hurt ST much more.

Bill would have to come to his senses?

Besides Slater, another guy I wouldn't mind seeing gone is Gostkowski. Unfortunately, Bill didn't sign any UDFA PKs, such as Temple's Brandon McManus, who signed with Indy. Too bad; he could've saved us $2M by signing - and winning the job - here.

He signed a punter for competition this year. Are you sure that it isn't true that BB went after McManus and lost because McManus wanted to kick in better conditions?

My take:

Offense: (25)

* QB - Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

* RB - Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington

* WR - Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola, Josh Boyce, Donald Jones, Matthew Slater, T.J. Moe

* TE - Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui, Daniel Fells

* OT - Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Svitek

* OG - Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Marcus Cannon

* C - Ryan Wendell, Nick McDonald

A few notes... At Quarterback, this team is obviously set. A 3rd QB could be kept on the Practice Squad if it so desired. At Running Back, the position will be powered by the Ridley-Vereen combination, with Bolden and Washington added as respective backups and depth. LeGarrette Blount could unseat Bolden to be Ridley's backup, or even make the roster flat out; Washington hasn't played much with Seattle the past few seasons, contributing primarily on Special Teams. Wide Receiver will be a dogfight - Dobson, Amendola, Boyce, Slater are all locks, but this position is too talented to keep only 4 or 5 bodies. The last 2 spots will come down to Moe, Edelman, Jones, or even Thompkins. I have Moe and Jones winning out, though any combination of those players wouldn't surprise me. Tight End is all about who can be solid backups to the TE party. It can go any way. The OL, the team has carried 8 bodies into the season on a few occasions, and it would allow them to carry extra skill players.

Defense: (25)

* DE - Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Justin Francis, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan

* DT - Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead

* LB - Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

* CB - Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Marquice Cole

* S - Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Steve Gregory, Adrian Wilson, Duron Harmon

A few notes... Defensive End may be the team's deepest position, yet it lacks a distinctive "#POWWWW" presence outside of Chandler Jones, which makes projecting this position difficult. Ninkovich is a lock, as is Bequette (to the dismay of many. He was a redshirt last year, you can't judge a player in year 1 based on 3 games). Francis flashed towards the end of the year. The final spot will probably come down to Cunningham vs. Buchanan (or Abraham/Freeney, if one signs). Defensive Tackle is much easier to project, there is Wilfork, Armstead, Kelly, Love... and everyone else. Deaderick could easily make it over Love given his play last year, but for now I'll stick with Vince Jr. Linebacker gets some solid depth in Collins, Fletcher, and Beauharnais, who will fill Tracy White's old Special Teams role. Time has run out for Dowling at CB, and Ebner is displaced at Safety by Harmon

Everyone is so anxious to have all their Binkies fit into their 53-man projections that they're all shedding Dowling as ballast before training camp even starts. I'm not saying I'm relying on the guy, but we should all hope he's healthy and that he cracks the roster. He's got more talent than anyone back there except maybe Talib, and he could/should be a core-four special teamer. I think our best-case scenario has Dowling staying healthy and winning a job opposite Talib -- he did start a few games his rookie year, after all.

I found this on nepatriotsdraft.com

What would you change on this projected 53 man roster?
I would definitely think Ebner and Cole are in danger. For some reason, I think Zoltan might not make it......I know ...don't mess with the Zoltan.

OFFENSE:

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett - good

RB: Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington, LeGarrette Blount - good

WR: Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater - I would consider replacing Edelman with a more productive veteran should one become available.....especially if the TE's are not 100%......if Boyce comes out productive, then it is not nearly as important.....I am not sure dobson is going to be that productive right away

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui - good

OT: Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon

OG: Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Markus Zusevics

OC: Ryan Wendell, Matt Stankiewitch

I think svitek will make the roster.......partly because cannon will make for better depth at OG

DEFENSE:

DT: Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead - good though I think there may be room for deaderick in here somewhere

NT: Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love - good

DE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan - benard or francis may make either bequette or buchanan an odd man out

OB: Jerod Mayo, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins

IB: Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

CB: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling, Marquice Cole

FS: Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon

SS: Adrian Wilson, Nate Ebner

11 DB's are too many.....there will be one less and one more LB...either ebner or cole will be gone

SPECIAL TEAMS:

in bold........

I prefer 4 TE and carry one on the PS. I see the pats holding onto more WR. I still think Cole and Fletcher are gone....

Getting rid of Slater might improve the O, but it would likely hurt ST much more.

How much more it would hurt is my question. This guy isn't making anyone forget Steve Tasker
or Larry Izzo; and except for Edelman's punt returns, our Special Teams aren't really that special
anyway, even with the "Pro-Bowler" on them. The coach there kinda sux, too.
So would STs be that much worse without him? I'd like to find out.

He signed a punter for competition this year. Are you sure that it isn't true that BB went after McManus and lost because McManus wanted to kick in better conditions?

Is it possible that Bill tried to sign McManus but Indy outbid him? Sure it is; but why then didn't Bill
go after the next UDFA Placekicker on his list?

How interesting would this situation be: during the pre-season, McManus out-performs Vinitraitor
while Gostkowski is his usually imperfect self, Indy later keeps McManus and releases Vinitraitor,
and Bill starts to consider looking at available Placekickers?

or Larry Izzo; and except for Edelman's punt returns, our Special Teams aren't really that special

Actually, according to Football Outsiders, the Pats have had, at worst, a top 10 ST unit for each of the last seven seasons.

And, believe it or not, the Pats' kickoff unit was the best in the league in 2012.

This looks like a solid roster.

It will definitely be deeper than recent seasons, which will help big time when the injury bug bites. I would still love for the team to find an impact veteran Defensive End to tutor Jones (Abraham or Freeney) and maybe another veteran Offensive Lineman.

Otherwise, this team will live and die by Tom Brady and the offense, as it has done since arguably 2007. Though there is hope that some pressure will be taken off his shoulders with the Ridley-Vereen combo.

Actually, according to Football Outsiders, the Pats have had, at worst, a top 10 ST unit for each of the last seven seasons.

And, believe it or not, the Pats' kickoff unit was the best in the league in 2012.

KO coverage unit, or KO return unit?

How much more it would hurt is my question. This guy isn't making anyone forget Steve Tasker
anyway, even with the "Pro-Bowler" on them. The coach there kinda sux, too.
So would STs be that much worse without him? I'd like to find out.

when Slater got hurt in the AFCCG we immediately gave up a huge KR

every team needs a few psycho gunners....like ebner and slater

Why not just have 8 TE's, 8 WR's, 8 RB's and Brady on offense? Do we need O-lineman at all? I think 8 is just wasting roster spots. Bunch of fat guys who just stand there and do nothing but block. Yeesh.

(sarcasm, if it isn't already obvious)

Serious answer- the Pats need 9 O-lineman as a few have already mentioned. And Cannon is listed as a Tackle. Someone put him at Guard.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back