PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would you change on this projected 53 man roster

SONS_OF_BELICHICK

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I found this on nepatriotsdraft.com

What would you change on this projected 53 man roster?
I would definitely think Ebner and Cole are in danger. For some reason, I think Zoltan might not make it......I know ...don't mess with the Zoltan.

OFFENSE:

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett

RB: Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington, LeGarrette Blount

WR: Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater

TE: Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui

OT: Nate Solder, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon

OG: Logan Mankins, Dan Connolly, Markus Zusevics

OC: Ryan Wendell, Matt Stankiewitch

DEFENSE:

DT: Tommy Kelly, Armond Armstead

NT: Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love

DE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan

OB: Jerod Mayo, Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins

IB: Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, Steve Beauharnais

CB: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling, Marquice Cole

FS: Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Duron Harmon

SS: Adrian Wilson, Nate Ebner

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Stephen Gostkowski

P: Zoltan Mesko

LS: Danny Aiken

Its hard to observe depth with out having the practice squad members on that list.
As is, I might want 1 less running back in favor of a versatile O lineman.

OFFENSE
He must be related to Stankiewitch or his agent. McDonald or a veteran free agent should get that roster spot.

Also, I'm interested to see that Zusevics is a guard.

I would definitely think Ebner and Cole are in danger. For some reason, I think Zoltan might not make it......I know ...don't mess with the Zoltan.

OFFENSE:

RB: Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Brandon Bolden, Leon Washington, LeGarrette Blount

WR: Danny Amendola, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Donald Jones, Josh Boyce, Matthew Slater

DEFENSE:

CB: Aqib Talib, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Logan Ryan, Ras-I Dowling, Marquice Cole

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Nice crack at it. Some nitpicks:

1. I think Justin Francis easily makes the roster over Jake Bequette.

2. 11 DB's might be one too many. Not sure if it will be 10 or 11 this year. Probably not 9.

3. I have a hard time seeing Deaderick not making the team. He's not great, but he's a known quantity. Although, I don't know if they'd keep more than 4 tackles on the roster.

4. We need one more O-Linemen. 8 is simply not enough, unless someone goes PUP.

5. I don't see 5 running backs making this team. We did that a few years ago when we had Maroney, Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, and BJGE. But that was because 3/5 of those guys were injury prone, 3/5 were over 30, sammy morris was largely a ST, Faulk is not an everydown back, and the team liked BJGE who eventually took the rock for the bulk of the season (and we traded Maroney shortly after the season began and fleeced the Broncos). This year, someone will either under-perform or get hurt, which will lead to only 4 making the roster.

6. Dane Fletcher - He gets hurt every year. It's always disappointing. Might as well scratch him off unfortunately. I think if he stays heallthy, then they may trade him like they did with David Thomas a few year back who always got hurt until his final preseason with us. BB was done with the guy, but at least he stayed healthy and we got trade value for him when we shipped him to NO. But this is another debate.

7. Last year we entered the season with 6 DE's--not 4. BB used them at DT next to Wilfork in passing situations (Cunningham did frequently). Granted, if Tommy Kelly can serve this role, we will likely carry only 5. So we'd need one more. I'd add Cunningham to the list, remove Bequette, and add Francis.

8. WR is not a great emphasis in this offense. I expect that we will only keep 4 true WR in the end (whether we like it or not). I'm excluding Slater, who is likely a definite.

DEFENSE

DL (8)
I think that there aren't enough players. These guys get injured, often. There are many role and sub players. I would rather keep 10 than 8.

I have Cunningham, Deaderick and Francis. I don't have Buchanan who I think of as a perfect Practice Squad candidate. BTW, I would indeed like to see Buchanan be good enough to beat out one of the three.

LB (6)
I would go with one fewer keeping Fletcher or Beauharnais (a likely Practice Squad player)

DB (11)
This is simply one too many. 8 position players and 2 that are almost totally ST players is plenty. Cole and Dowling should be fighting for a roster spot.

OFFENSE:

DEFENSE:

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Nick McDonald over Stankiewitch. Doubt we carry 6 cb's. Dowling will get hurt so give me another big un, Brandon Deaderick. Jermaine Cunningham over M.Buchanan, Gregory over Ebner. I think we'll carry a 9th OL, not sure if I want to drop the 5th rb or 6 wr yet. I'll say 5th rb. Bolden/Blount and Washington fighting it out for two spots. I'll say Svitek as that 9th OL. Hate to leave Justin Francis off mine. But, he could beat out 5th dt. Awfully young at lb. Beauharnais is going to have to impress the hell out of BB to make the team. I can see him on practice squad along with Buchanan at a good salary. Not the minimum. T. White over him for that last spot.

Practice Squad
Michael Buchanan - DE
Steve Beauharnais - LB
TJ Moe - WR
Kenbrell Thompkins - WR
Elvis Fisher - T
Josh Kline - G
Zach Sudfeld - TE
Matt Stankiewitch - C

Here's my early guess:

QB: Brady, Mallett
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Washington
WR: Amendola, Edelman, Jones, Dobson, Boyce, Slater
TE: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard, Hoomanawanui
T: Solder, Vollmer, Svitek
G: Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
C: Wendell, N. McDonald
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan
DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Deaderick, Love
LB: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins, Fletcher, Beauharnais
CB: Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Dowling
S: McCourty, A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner
ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

Would have liked to fit Blount, Zusevics, Gregory, and at least one UDFA on. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Bequette or Dowling cut, and it isn't that likely that both seventh rounders will make it. It isn't looking good for one of my favorite players, Love, but I'm going to keep projecting him to make it until he gets cut.

Nick McDonald over Stankiewitch. Doubt we carry 6 cb's. Dowling will get hurt so give me another big un, Brandon Deaderick. Jermaine Cunningham over M.Buchanan, Gregory over Ebner. I think we'll carry a 9th OL, not sure if I want to drop the 5th rb or 6 wr yet. I'll say 5th rb. Bolden/Blount and Washington fighting it out for two spots. I'll say Svitek as that 9th OL. Hate to leave Justin Francis off mine. But, he could beat out 5th dt. Awfully young at lb. Beauharnais is going to have to impress the hell out of BB to make the team. I can see him on practice squad along with Buchanan at a good salary. Not the minimum. T. White over him for that last spot.

Practice Squad
Michael Buchanan - DE
Steve Beauharnais - LB
TJ Moe - WR
Kenbrell Thompkins - WR
Elvis Fisher - T
Josh Kline - G
Zach Sudfeld - TE
Matt Stankiewitch - C

Looking back, Washington and Slater are just special teams, most likely.
But could t j Moe beat out Washington. On special teams.

Now, this is getting silly. Washington is one of the best kickoff returners in the nil.

Looking back, Washington and Slater are just special teams, most likely.
But could t j Moe beat out Washington. On special teams.

Now, this is getting silly. Washington is one of the best kickoff returners in the nil.

Your right even J Edelman would start at return man before Moe.

6. Dane Fletcher - He gets hurt every year. It's always disappointing. Might as well scratch him off unfortunately. I think if he stays heallthy, then they may trade him like they did with David Thomas a few year back who always got hurt until his final preseason with us. BB was done with the guy, but at least he stayed healthy and we got trade value for him when we shipped him to NO. But this is another debate.

That's rather revisionist. He was only injured in 2007. In 2006 he was stuck behind Watson AND Graham. I don't know what the issue was in 2008, though obviously he was still behind Watson.

I agree.

I wouldn't point to Thomas as a failure. He was a good backup here. He did very well after being traded.

That's rather revisionist. He was only injured in 2007. In 2006 he was stuck behind Watson AND Graham. I don't know what the issue was in 2008, though obviously he was still behind Watson.

You could certainly keep Blount instead of having the 10th DL.

Here's my early guess:

QB: Brady, Mallett
RB: Ridley, Vereen, Bolden, Washington
WR: Amendola, Edelman, Jones, Dobson, Boyce, Slater
TE: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Ballard, Hoomanawanui
T: Solder, Vollmer, Svitek
G: Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
C: Wendell, N. McDonald
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Bequette, Buchanan
DT: Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, Deaderick, Love
LB: Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Collins, Fletcher, Beauharnais
CB: Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan, Dowling
S: McCourty, A. Wilson, T. Wilson, Harmon, Ebner
ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken

Would have liked to fit Blount, Zusevics, Gregory, and at least one UDFA on. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Bequette or Dowling cut, and it isn't that likely that both seventh rounders will make it. It isn't looking good for one of my favorite players, Love, but I'm going to keep projecting him to make it until he gets cut.

You could certainly keep Blount instead of having the 10th DL.

I know. I could only think of cutting Francis (he showed too much potential last year), Bequette (he was drafted high, obviously he has some potential), and Buchanan. Maybe I'll have Blount over Buchanan in my next revision, or a 9th OL.

To complicate your life, I would note that Cunningham played very well last year when called on to start at DE. As always, the final front seven will likely be affected/resolved by injuries.

I know. I could only think of cutting Francis (he showed too much potential last year), Bequette (he was drafted high, obviously he has some potential), and Buchanan. Maybe I'll have Blount over Buchanan in my next revision, or a 9th OL.

6. Dane Fletcher - He gets hurt every year. It's always disappointing. Might as well scratch him off unfortunately.
Fletcher probably sticks around for ST value alone. (It's the same logic I would use for keeping Ebner over Gregory.)

Also, while Mayo has been the one with the green dot on defense, how many other players on the current roster would have the capability to take over those duties if something were to happen to Mayo?

You're counting on Fletcher to run the defense? He has been injured for 2 years. I would settle for him being healthy enough to play at an nfl level and win a roster spot.

Fletcher probably sticks around for ST value alone. (It's the same logic I would use for keeping Ebner over Gregory.)

Also, while Mayo has been the one with the green dot on defense, how many other players on the current roster would have the capability to take over those duties if something were to happen to Mayo?

We all know Slater is the team captain on SP. BB loves him on the team. What would have to happen for him to loose out on the 53 man roster?

Bill would have to come to his senses?

Besides Slater, another guy I wouldn't mind seeing gone is Gostkowski. Unfortunately,
Bill didn't sign any UDFA PKs, such as Temple's Brandon McManus, who signed with Indy.
Too bad; he could've saved us $2M by signing - and winning the job - here.

Is it just me or is the overall construction of the roster beginning to look a lot better than in previous seasons?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back