PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would the JETS do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinnf

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Let's say both McFadden and C.Long were on the board at six, which one would you as a pats fan like to see them take and why???

Depends on how much you want Chris Long. Personally I'd be thrilled to get him, so I'd hope the Jets would just take McFadden.

If you don't want Chris Long, then it becomes whichever player you think has the biggest trade value.

Last edited:
C. Long. I feel that he will convert well to OLB in our system, as well as being a very good athlete, with a great motor and pedigree.

I think Maroney can be a great back in this league, and I don't see the reason to draft McFadden, esp. not with the #7 pick. I'm also not convinced that McFadden is the best back in the draft, or if he was even the best back in his backfield. I"m just not huge on the guy like some.

C Long would be a project in 3-4 so I would rather them take him, then seeing McFadden twice a year.

I'd rather the Jets took McFadden. His benefit over his positional peers is less extant. And honestly, the more I think about him, the more I think he's really just an injury waiting to happen in the NFL.

The Pats run D is their strength, so the fear of facing him is a little silly. DMC ain't no LdT, and the latter hasn't much relative success against NE. Against a physically big D, I think DMC might struggle a bit. He's simply not as strong as a lot of people think, and a la Reggie Bush, the "speed of the game" is going to negate a lot of what he took for granted in college.

I'm not super-huge on Long, and agree with some ideas on this board that he may well be best suited for ILB as a Pat. I think that would be ideal. I'd be willing to be patient.

Neither of them. I want Gholston or Groves (or both :D)

Depends on how much you want Chris Long. Personally I'd be thrilled to get him, so I'd hope the Jets would just take McFadden.

If you don't want Chris Long, then it becomes whichever player you think has the biggest trade value.

One could possibly be there but it's highly unlikely both would. Highly unlikely.

I would imagine Belichick has Matt Millen on speed dial in case McFadden falls to #7. I would much rather have the players you can get around the #15 and #45 positions than getting CLong at #7.

Don't be ridiculous. Talk about overthinking a no-brainer.

Take Long!!! Are you guys kidding me? How many althletic, do-everything 270# LBs do we get a shot at in any given year? And for a team that needs LB help, no less. Passing up #1 talent at #7... what are you talking about?!?!

Don't be ridiculous. Talk about overthinking a no-brainer.

Take Long!!! Are you guys kidding me? How many althletic, do-everything 270# LBs do we get a shot at in any given year? And for a team that needs LB help, no less. Passing up #1 talent at #7... what are you talking about?!?!

How many UVA games have you watched over the last couple of years? CLong is a great football player, but there are legitimate reasons for him not being a no-brainer (does that make him a "brainer"?).

His strengths are obvious...great functional strength, use of hands and leverage to win 1-on-1 battles, solid short-area quickness to exploit gaps, terrific tackling technique. His weaknesses are equally clear...mediocre speed in pursuit, maintaining speed when changing directions, pass rush moves on the edge.

In a nutshell, the guy is dynamite when locked on with a blocker. He can engage, shed and make tackles. Very disruptive between the tackles. However, he is not very effective when forced to play in space. In my mind, that makes him an ILB for the Pats, but one that will initially be a liability in the passing game.

Add in the fact that he has only played at an "elite" level for one year (though he was solid his soph. and jr. years). Now consider that the ACC this past year was just awful, particularly the production on offense. Not red flags, but definitely worth considering.

As a 4-3 DE for anyone but Indy, I think CLong would be a standout. Skills, technique, smarts, desire. What's not to like? There are aspects of his overall package that bring up questions and concerns about his productivity as a Pats LB.

If Belichick and Pioli select CLong, I don't have any issues since they would obviously have a plan to use him. I don't have to know the plan to have faith in their evaluation and planning. However, it is a reasonable point of view that the Pats could look elsewhere even if CLong were within reach.

Let's say both McFadden and C.Long were on the board at six, which one would you as a pats fan like to see them take and why???

I stated a while ago that the ONLY player I want them to take is McFadden. The Pats front 7 and gameplan won't allow a RB to win the game. But do we really want a relentless motor harassing Brady twice a season?

I stated a while ago that the ONLY player I want them to take is McFadden. The Pats front 7 and gameplan won't allow a RB to win the game. But do we really want a relentless motor harassing Brady twice a season?

You may be the first poster in this whole thread to recognize that the question was who you want the JETS to take! :)

It's actually a subtler question, because you have to weigh both the impact on the Pats draft-wise, and the impact on the Jets on the field. I'm with you on McFadden, though, especially since I wouldn't like to see Long's great attitude rub off on the rest of the Jets team.

One could possibly be there but it's highly unlikely both would. Highly unlikely.

while it's unlikely, i wouldn't say it's higly unlikely:

1-fish: jake long
2-rams: glenn dorsey
3-falcons: matt ryan
4-raiders: vernon gholston
5-chiefs: ryan clady
6-jets

the big one there is the chiefs, hopefully theyre dumb enough to reach on clady or otah, or maybe albert, which could potentially leave us with one of gholston or long
hey, a man can dream right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back