Welcome to PatsFans.com

What would Obama do as president?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Jun 1, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 13 / -9

This is not a right vs left post.

I am looking for an honest opinion on what Obama would do as president.

Running on change sounds, good but what will he change????

Deval Patrick got elected on the word hope, so I don't see why
    the word CHANGE wouldn't work.

If Obama does become president, I hope he will be a better president
    than Deval Patrick has been a govenor.

Will he bring the troops home?
    I would be shocked, if he did. He says he will, but I think he will reduce the
    number and we will still be stuck in this nightmare of a war.

Will he rebuild Iraq?
    Probably...... Don't we always.

We know he will raise taxes on everyone.

What else will he bring to the table?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I am old enough to remember Jimmy Carter's presidency and it seems to me to have many parallels. Carter ran as a reformer in the wake of Watergate and was in over his head. Ask the Iran hostages who were held for 444 days because Carter ruled out military force publicly at the beginning of the crisis. If you take away your major bargaining chip (use of force), they had nothing to fear and held the hostages until Reagan took office. He was naive and idealistic (see Foreign Corrupt practices act and how it impacted American businesses doing business abroad) in a job that requires street smarts because as it has been said, " we live in a dangerous world"
    I believe/fear that this nation will be tested by a terroristic act next year as the last two Presidents were in their first year in office (World Trade 1 in Feb '93 right after President Clinton's inauguration and 9/11 in W's first year in office) and I don't know if Obama has the mettle to properly respond. This is not a right/left thing as I would sooner trust either McCain or Hillary to do the right thing in a crisis, the first time.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -9

We Don't Know What He Will Do, He Won't Tell Us And His Groupies Don't Care, All His Groupies Want Is A President They Can Gush And Fawn Over, They Want A Diversity Poster Boy

The Democrats Are Getting Closer Each Day To Putting McCain In The White House Just As They Did With Kerry/Gore.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

It's impossible to say but he's clearly a liberal and will have a liberal Congress to work with although I don't think the Senate will reach 60 Ds, which is important.

He'll be playing down his liberalism once he's officially the nominee but I would expect higher taxes on a lot more people than he'd like you to believe. If you make over $70K (my made up number, a guess) I think you can expect higher taxes. I expect silly social engineering like taxes on SUVs (even though they aren't the problem), failed attempts to regulate the price of gas, bailouts of people who can't pay their bills (mortgages), just a disaster.

Look no further than the ethanol requirements. They thought they were doing the right thing, didn't think it through, it had unintended and negative consequences and now they won't admit that and undo it. More stuff like that.
  5. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

That is essentially my issue with him, and his judgement is suspect, IMO.
  6. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think he'll increase taxes on the upper tax bracket, as well as increasing capital gains taxes. This could hurt the economy if it is weak to begin with, or it could have no effect if the economy is strengthening by that time.

In Iraq he'll ask the Generals for the best plan for removal of US troops, and draw down troop levels no matter the recommendations from officers on the ground. (Which is fine, there were plenty of gens. telling Bush to pull out rather than surging for example. Its his policy to make, and their job to do it in the best way possible). This could reverse security gains in Iraq and allow gretear influence of radicals like Sadr, and lead to the fragile peace between Sunni and Shia breaking down, or it could have no harmuful effect if Iraqis are ready to provide their own security and act as a nation rather than as religious factions.

He will opt for economic policies closer to protectionism, meaning a better deal for the American worker, but worse trade relations with places we trade with a lot, like Canada or China. It may mean less US products shipped overseas, compounding our trade deficits.

He will negotiate directly with Iran, Syria, North Korea, etc. in hopes of stopping nuke development. I can't see this doing any good (as talks in the past have led to deals that were not honored by those countries), and may embolden leaders in those places to continue thumbing their noses at the US and the international community.

He will likely raise spending on both domestic and foreign aid for the poor, which may help reduce poverty worldwide, or may cause an additional tax burden on the US which will slow our economy and end up causing more poverty due to job losses, and potential drag-down of the worldwide economy.

He will appoint liberal judges to all open positions, which may or may not have an effect on the makeup of the courts, depending on who retires (The oldest members of the Supreme Court for example I think are the liberal ones).

Overall I think we know what he's going to do, what we don't really know I think is what the effect of those actions will be. In each case here I've given kind of best case or worst case scenarios, what really happens though may be somewhere in between. It also depends a lot on how much the Dems gain in Congress, and if the Dem Congress actually becomes a moderating influence on such a liberal President (as we've seen the Mass Congress move to the center to balance the nightmare that is Deval Patrick).

Just my take on how it will go.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm not in favor of increased taxes for anything other than a real alternative to oil; however if we do raise taxes it sure as hell better be for this country and not "the world". We have enough issues here that we could spend money on without giving it out to a world that evidently hates us anyway.
  8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What would he do?

Do whatever his superiors tell him to do.

That is what he would do.

I wouldn't doubt for 1 second that if he gets in as the puppet prez, that he gets JFK'ed.

I wonder if Hitlery would consider being VP...

HMMMM...
  9. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree, but I think he is also focused on worldwide poverty, which means more $ heading abroad. I don't agree with it, I was just trying to predict what kind of policies an Obama administration would put in place.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Nationalize health care, open borders and amnesty for illegals, liberal activist USSC justices.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I sure hope that's made clear before November. While I think the General Welfare clause is misused inside the United States, at least it gives some form of legitimacy to welfare and other social programs; there is absolutely no legitimacy that I'm aware of for taking our money and sending it to other countries.
  12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

What have I stumbled on here? I know a Neo-Con Circle Jerk
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What's up with you lately, 'flex? I'm worried about you.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

:confused:

Liberals keep whining about the money spent on the war - why would we, instead, just throw money to other parts of the world ? At least the war on terror is attacking the biggest threat to the world even if the chance of success isn't looking good. This isn't a circle jerk, it's not wanting our money being thrown overseas.
  15. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +404 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Just because Bush f*cked up doesn't give others carte blanch to do the same thing. Ethanol has been a disaster both for fuel and food (not to mention that it's bad for car engines). Congress should cease and desist with this crap - and it has nothing to do with Iraq.
  17. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't think any really knows, because he hasn't said much beyond "change" and other soundbytes that sound great in a newsreel but have no practical application. My guess would be a signficant increase in social programs and the government budget. Maybe higher taxes too. But who knows for sure.
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -9

In all the months Barack Hussein Obama has been strutting and prancing around giving his "beautiful speeches" and blabbing about his "big change" has this a$s hole ever mentioned what his plan will be on handling the Muslim Terrorists that are patiently waiting to get into this country and kill thousands more of us, why won't his ADORING fans ask this saintly Golden Idol how he will handle the "War On Terror".

I hope the silent sensible patriotic inteligent people will come out of their homes by the millions in November and crush the sh!t out of this new "liberal diversity toy" who can speak with a silver "bullsh!t tongue"

The Dingobats can't even run their election right how the hell are they going run the country and fight Muslims.

I hope the old "illegal alien slobberer Mccain" will dig deep into the Holy Prince's closet so we will finally know the "Real Obama".

WHAT A TERRIBLE CHOICE WE HAVE MILLIONS WILL STAY HOME WE WILL BE ATTACKED AGAIN MORE WILL DIE.

PRAISE ALLAH
    GOD WILLING WE WILL KILL MANY OF THE FILTHY AMERICAN INFEDELS
    DEATH TO AMERICA
    GOD DAMN AMERICA

"HURRY UP MICHELLE WE'LL BE LATE FOR CHURCH FATHER FLIGGER IS PREACHING TODAY"
    --------:singing: