PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would it take for you to switch team alliances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up an LA Rams fan. At the time, in Upstate NY, every NFL team seemed as far away as the moon. As the story goes, I supposedly bet my father a nickel that the Rams would beat the Redskins when I was 5 and I won. I don't remember that, but I can remember that I always liked them. I liked those helmets. My father came out to Boston every year on a bus trip to see the Pats and I always got a souvenier, so they were always my 2nd favorite. I always hated the NY teams, unlike most of my friends.

When I moved to Walpole in the late '80s, I would go with my brother to the Pats/Bills game every year as he was (and is) a diehard Bills fan. I rooted for Hugh Millen and Co. amid all the rumors of moving to St. Louis. When Kraft bought the team, and it was here to stay, I converted, telling myself that, although they'd probably never win anything, at least I could watch every game (even if I had to attend it myself) and follow them in the local papers and on the radio. Who knew then what they'd eventually become? The wierd part is that I already like the Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins.

I am in Tacoma WA and my boss at work saw my Patriots watch a few days ago. He told me I am a traitor. I was not born here and I do not have any property or a wife from here so who or what I betrayed I am not exactly sure about. I only watch the Seahawks when there is absolutely nothing else to do.

I live in the Tampa area and the topic of switching allegiance has been a hot topic on the radio here the last couple of years - prompted primarily by the (lack of) attendance at Tampa Bay Rays baeball games. Some feel that 'you live here now, you should follow, cheer for, and support the home town team'. Others, like a co-worker and New England transplant who has lived here for a few years say there's no way he would ever cheer for the Bucs, Rays or Lightning.

Me, I'm in the middle. I follow and root for the Bucs - unless they're playing the Pats. I watch every Pats game, and I watch every Bucs game that isn't on at the same time the Pats are. I haven't, and couldn't switch allegiance at this point. I have, however, added a second favorite team. I think it's possible because the Bucs are in a different conference from the Pats, and the Rays have never been a serious competitor to the Red Sox.

I live in the Tampa area and the topic of switching allegiance has been a hot topic on the radio here the last couple of years - prompted primarily by the (lack of) attendance at Tampa Bay Rays baeball games. Some feel that 'you live here now, you should follow, cheer for, and support the home town team'. Others, like a co-worker and New England transplant who has lived here for a few years say there's no way he would ever cheer for the Bucs, Rays or Lightning.

Me, I'm in the middle. I follow and root for the Bucs - unless they're playing the Pats. I watch every Pats game, and I watch every Bucs game that isn't on at the same time the Pats are. I haven't, and couldn't switch allegiance at this point. I have, however, added a second favorite team. I think it's possible because the Bucs are in a different conference from the Pats, and the Rays have never been a serious competitor to the Red Sox.

Tampa's stadium is lousy and the location is horrible. To make things worse, they are proposing building a new stadium right near the old one. It's as if they don't want fans to show up.

Tampa's stadium is lousy and the location is horrible. To make things worse, they are proposing building a new stadium right near the old one. It's as if they don't want fans to show up.

Tampa Bay is a whole different market than others in many aspects. As opposed to all northeastern cities, it is very transient (based on what I saw in thirty years near Boston versus twenty years around Tampa - for example, the number of "for sale" signs in each area). On top of that is the number of transplants; while it is rare to find a current Boston area resident that didn't grow up there, the exact opposite is true in Florida. The result is that allegiance to that original area's team, regardless of where it was.

The Bucs played to half filled stadiums unless they were filled with Packer, Bears, or other fans until two things happened. One was the team started winning. The other was the team was around long enough to have a generation of fans grow up following the team. Ironically, though they were the laughing stock of NFL fans, they were also one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL at that time before the change of ownership.

Regarding the Rays, I don't buy the argument that the (enclosed) stadium is bad. I think it's just a convenient excuse; the alternative would be torrential thunder and lightning on a daily basis at 4:30 during the summer, and 90 degree weather with unbearable humidity from May 1st till the last game of the season.

There is some truth to the fact that folks from Tampa won't drive to St Pete - a commute that is nothing compared to going to Foxboro or Fenway for out of towners. For example, folks from Hillsborough County would prefer to go to skanky Ben T Davis Beach within Tampa Bay, filled with bacteria, tampons, syringes, and god knows what else, rather than driving 30 minutes across the bay to what are considered some of the nation's best beaches in Pinellas County like Caledesi, Honeymoon Island, Madeira Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach, for example.

*** Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt a need to repond -- let's get back to the original subject. Me: no change of allegiance, but I could add a #2 as long as they are not a rival and pose no threat.

Tampa Bay is a whole different market than others in many aspects. As opposed to all northeastern cities, it is very transient (based on what I saw in thirty years near Boston versus twenty years around Tampa - for example, the number of "for sale" signs in each area). On top of that is the number of transplants; while it is rare to find a current Boston area resident that didn't grow up there, the exact opposite is true in Florida. The result is that allegiance to that original area's team, regardless of where it was.

The Bucs played to half filled stadiums unless they were filled with Packer, Bears, or other fans until two things happened. One was the team started winning. The other was the team was around long enough to have a generation of fans grow up following the team. Ironically, though they were the laughing stock of NFL fans, they were also one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL at that time before the change of ownership.

Regarding the Rays, I don't buy the argument that the (enclosed) stadium is bad. I think it's just a convenient excuse; the alternative would be torrential thunder and lightning on a daily basis at 4:30 during the summer, and 90 degree weather with unbearable humidity from May 1st till the last game of the season.

There is some truth to the fact that folks from Tampa won't drive to St Pete - a commute that is nothing compared to going to Foxboro or Fenway for out of towners. For example, folks from Hillsborough County would prefer to go to skanky Ben T Davis Beach within Tampa Bay, filled with bacteria, tampons, syringes, and god knows what else, rather than driving 30 minutes across the bay to what are considered some of the nation's best beaches in Pinellas County like Caledesi, Honeymoon Island, Madeira Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach, for example.

*** Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I felt a need to repond -- let's get back to the original subject. Me: no change of allegiance, but I could add a #2 as long as they are not a rival and pose no threat.

You're omitting the commute on 4 followed by that trip over the bridge. And that field is considered by most people to be among the very worst stadiums in MLB. Orlando residents don't make that drive for very good reasons, above and beyond the team's play.

I have moved about 10 times in 20 years and can not understand anyone who says they would change fan-hood of their youth (assuming they grew up with same team for essentially whole youth). If your parents moved you several times as a youth I could maybe understand your confusion. But I have lived in LA, Maryland, Georgia, Colorado, DC, PA, Kansas and I would never consider rooting for the raiders, ravens, falcons, broncos, redskins, eagles, or chiefs.

Only thing I would do is root for a local team whenever they dont play a game with a patriots interest. (against the pats or affecting pats playoff chances).

The only way I would stop rooting for the patriots is if they were SOLD and THEY MOVED to another city outside of NE. Especially if the name was changed as well.

I am not really talking about moving. Very few people switch teams because they move to a new city.

More a long the lines of lets say your nephew was drafted by Jets, or your daughter's boyfriend was signed with the Colts, or your son's best friend was the starting QB for the Bills.

My death is about the only thing that every cause me to rooting for the pats or sox.

That said, it's hard to answer the above cuz there are many variables. If it's a cousin or a family friend, I'd look after that team as well and be as supportive as I could, but not at the expense of the Patriots. I actually have a situation like that now. I'm a college coach (not of baseball) at the same school where Tim Reading went, and I got to know him a little when he was here. Great kid, great story, so I loosely follow him (and hence the Nationals, and Astros before that). It won't ever impact my love of the Sox, even head to head (although, I'd hate to see him shelled out in 2 innings. Just not get the win). In fact, I'm real good friends with the guy who coached him, another die hard Sox fan, when he was here. They are much closer and he pretty much feels the same. I hope it never comes down to game 7 of the series, but if it does, I'll route for 5-6 innings of "no hit" ball, and then a few late sox runs to pull it our in late. :cool:

If it were then NFL, and a much closer relation (like a son). Easy...... I tell him to hold out and demand a trade (if he was drafted), or if he was a undrafted FA, I'd tell him to do what it takes to get noticed by BB and get signed. That part's a no-brainer.

Obvioulsy, the closer the are, the more passonatly you'd route for whoever they were playng for.

Last edited:
There is only one chance that I would ever go against the Pats....and that's if a loss would give them the #1 draft pick, and since we know that won't be possible for many years to come I guess my answer would be a resounding "no".

So what you are saying is you are on the bandwagon as long as they win? :bricks:

i used to be.....*gasp*....a ny giants fan. i was only 10 though....

So what you are saying is you are on the bandwagon as long as they win? :bricks:

I think you mis-read it, just like I did at first. Seems that what he is saying is he would only root against the Pats if a loss in a particular game gave them the first pick in the next draft.

I only lived in Tampa for just under a year and even I noticed this phenomina(sp). I never understood it. Honeymoon is a great place to go to the beach and it's not that long of a drive. I can understand why the locals don't go to clearwater and the beaches around it tho. Just to many damn people.

I never went to a Rays game and can't comment on the park/field.

I would never under no circumstances ever change my allegiences away from the Pats/Sox/Bruins. I leave the Celtics of this list because I just don't like basketball so I can't really call myself a fan.

Last edited:
If the Patriots moved out of NE entirely or if my son ever played for one of the other NFL teams, it might be possibly for me to switch my allegience.

Short of those actually happening, I can't imagine switching.

If the Patriots moved out of NE entirely or if my son ever played for one of the other NFL teams, it might be possibly for me to switch my allegience.

Short of those actually happening, I can't imagine switching.

The only thing that might get me to switch allegiences was if the team moved and it might depend on the reasons. A son playing for another team would only get me to like to see them do well against everyone but the Pats. Unless he were to play for the Jets, then I'd still hate them.

My wife was a Giants and Yankees fan when we met, she's been a Pats and Sox fan for almost 16 years now.

If you're willing to switch alliances, then you were truly never a fan of the first team to begin with.

Neat thread--I like seeing how some of the people have developed into Patriots fans over the years while others have simply been that way.

I started when I was a little younger than 10, a neighbor would occasionally take me to Foxboro for games. Then I miraculously got to go to the 96 AFCC (I was 12), and that really sealed the deal for me. I can still remember listening to the Patriots lose a particular game to the Broncos during a night game aroudn that same time and throwing a hissy fit that my dad had helped me become a fan of a team who would simply get owned by the Broncos at every opportunity ;) Luckily we stuck it out!

Give me a few years to have kids and figure out whether I'd support them in their careers over the Patriots. If it's any indication, my wedding is on a Sunday this fall and the reception will be right smack in the midst of the SNF Patriots at Chargers game :confused: Wedding night vs. 4th quarter? I'll probably be using the DVR.

If it's any indication, my wedding is on a Sunday this fall and the reception will be right smack in the midst of the SNF Patriots at Chargers game :confused: Wedding night vs. 4th quarter? I'll probably be using the DVR.

Thats a bad sign. That your wife-to-be would even contemplate a Sunday wedding means she has no sense what so ever. I would cancel the wedding and find someone else. :D

that would make for a perfect sit com episode, you having the radio on trying to listen to the game, without anyone notcing at the reception. They go to throw the flower thingy, and at the same time brady tosses a ball out to someone and just as they throw it you yell "catch the dam thing!" all angry sounding, and people think you're talkign to the girls trying to catch thew flowers....ha ha, classic.

Literally, the whole team ensared in conspiracy to throw a SB to support the gambling habits of some losers.

Nothing. When it looked like they might move to St Louis, I did ask myself what I would do. I concluded I would become neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back