PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would it take for the Pats to trade Hoyer?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What would it take for the Pats to trade Hoyer?

• More than a 2012 second

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • A 2012 second

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Less than a 2012 second

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • A player they need/want

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • No chance of a trade, period

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I'm asking what you think Belichick would do, not what you would do.

[Edits in bold.] Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that during the preseason, Mallett shows enough promise that BB would be comfortable with Mallett as Brady's only backup, à la Hoyer in 2009.

Is there any chance of a trade happening near the end of TC? If so, what would the Pats need to get in return to see it as worth it?

Last edited:
Just stop. He won't have a clue what Mallett can even attempt to do before next weekend. He isn't trading Hoyer.

I think the question is absurd as there is a very low probability of the Patriots being fully satisfied with Mallet w/o a full pre-season to give up on a capable, trusted and very cheap back-up who knows the system.

Just stop. He won't have a clue what Mallett can even attempt to do before next weekend. He isn't trading Hoyer.

I didn't say tomorrow.

I was thinking near the end of TC; I edited the OP to make my point clearer.

Last edited:
I didn't say tomorrow.

I was thinking near the end of TC; I edited the OP to make my point clearer.
Doesn't matter. By the end of training camp there is no way Mallet is gonna know enough of the playbook to earn Belichick's trust to be the #2.

Oaklands 1st round pick next year and a 3rd rounder the next year.:cool:

Doesn't matter. By the end of training camp there is no way Mallet is gonna know enough of the playbook to earn Belichick's trust to be the #2.

Didn't Hoyer do exactly that though? Albeit with mor time with the playbook and a longer pre season.

Having said that I don't see Hoyer getting traded unless the offer is too good.

Last edited:
It would take BB's unexpected death

First, it would take a team willing to offer something of value.

2012 3rd .

I feel BB is fully expecting to go into the season with 3 QBs. That said, if someone is willing to give up a high 2nd for him he will probably take it.

Didn't Hoyer do exactly that though? Albeit with mor time with the playbook and a longer pre season.

Having said that I don't see Hoyer getting traded unless the offer is too good.
Hoyer had months of work with the coaching staff that Mallet won't recieve. But more than that, Hoyer won the #2 job mainly because there wasn't anyone worth a crap competing for it. Belichick didn't want to waste a spot on someone like Kevin O Connell or Andrew Walter so he made his #3 guy the default #2.

That isn't the case this year. I think there is a good reason to believe the coaching staff has a lot of faith in Hoyer to be a quality #2 QB, and it would weaken the team to trade him.

Also, no one is gonna give up much for an unproven QB that has no time to learn a new system. I can pretty much Guarentee that Hoyer will remain a Patriot this year.

Exactly. Hoyer would have to grab BB's girlfriend's ta-tas or something in training camp to get traded given The Hammer's inexperience.

the only reason he wouldn't trade hoyer is because nobody is going to call him on that......its not like the pats have any kind of chance with hoyer........I'd let him go and find an old vet if mallet can't do it this year

I'd take a 3rd or 4th rounder

*puts on flame suit*

I think the Patriots could win this division with Brian Hoyer starting all 16 games

flame away

the only reason he wouldn't trade hoyer is because nobody is going to call him on that......its not like the pats have any kind of chance with hoyer........I'd let him go and find an old vet if mallet can't do it this year

I'd take a 3rd or 4th rounder

You don't keep a backup to win you the Super Bowl. You keep a backup to keep you afloat if your starter gets injured for a game, or a stretch of games.

2012 3rd .

This. Though even if a 2012 would be "ok value" for a player who's yet to do much in the league, Hoyer should stay put... this year more than EVER : because of the lack of time to get up to speed.

But to expect anything more would be unrealistic.

why would anyone flame that?

Hoyer is easily way way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the stunted emotional dwarf, Sanrapist...and Henne is on the skids in Miami...if they make the classic blunder by bringing in Vince "His act is old" Young, they could implode by midseason. Barfalo??? Who IS the Jills QB anyway???...oh well...it doesn't really matter...the Bills will battle the Rats for the rotten cheese in the basement.

Last edited:
after the season, when he's got an extra 4 snaps under his belt; a 2nd.

Hoyer simply has more value to the Patriots as a proven backup vs his value to another team as an unproven starter. I happen to think he has more upside than Cassel who's had his best two seasons when having the NFC West on his schedule. Cassel was a rare case of both getting a year to start and prove himself coupled with somebody from the inner workings of the Patriots taking on a GM position in the league elsewhere where a QB was needed.

Hoyer will leave after this season to compete for a job elsewhere. The Patriots will be compensated a low round draft choice. I'll wish him well hopefully in the NFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back