PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would it take for Bill Belichick to be fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InBillITrust

Rookie
Reaction score
After seeing that Mike Shanahan was fired yesterday, there are very few "coach for life" anymore in the NFL. I think Belichick is practically the only one now. Tony Dungy may be similar, but the Colts already have a succession plan, and Dungy has said he doesn't want to coach much longer. The Steelers usually keep their coaches for a long time, so Mike Tomlin will probably be around for awhile. However, what would it take for a significant part of the fan base to start hating Belichick? Although Shanahan still had many defenders, a significant part of the Broncos fan base wanted him out even though he consistently fielded a competitive team. And face it, it's not easy to transition from a QB like Elway.

Before Brady went down, there was still some debate on whether the Pats success was due to Brady or Belichick. I think now, most Pats fans are pretty comfortable that as long as Belichick is there, even if Brady is not, the Pats will be a good team. So what would it take for Pats fans to sicken of BB (and not something criminal)? Spygate only caused most fans to circle the wagons even more.

If BB had a couple of losing years, would that be enough? Or if the Pats had a collapse as bad as the Broncos where ppl felt it was Bill's fault? I know some people think that Boston fans can turn pretty fast. For example, many people think that any player on the 2004 WS team should be put on a pedestal. However, such an integral player like Keith Foulke was driven out of town pretty fast. Could something similar actually happen to Belichick if the Pats didn't produce at such a high level? However, I think ppl hold BB in a higher regard then say Terry Francona or even Epstein.

What do you guys think? Would it just take a few bad years to put BB out? Or maybe some Bill Parcells wandering eye? Or maybe some Manny Ramirez drama (although I can never see BB act like that)? Or will it always be that Bill will be able to coach the Pats as long as he wants, a true coach for life?

Last edited:
What would it take? A new owner that wanted to go back to the "good ole' days of the late 80's, early 90's". :D

Seriously, I think BB is here for life if he wants it. I think he'd hit retirement time before assuming "firing" justification stats.

Shanny, got fired as the GM work think, unfortunately, his HC services got wrapped up in it too. No way to seperate the two. Dungy is in til he retires, or dies. I think he and BB are the only ones in that catagory now.

Last edited:
What would it take for this thread to be moved to the Practice Squad? Oh wait, it was already done. :eek:

I think if Belichick got drunk, told the media to follow him, and then pulled up in front of Robert Krafts house, pulled down his pants, and took a dump on his front lawn, while slurring things about Myra, then MAYBE, he would get fired.

If Belichick murdered two newborn babies, he would get fired. I say two, because he's so untouchable that I think we'd probably give him a mulligan on the first one.

What would it take? A new owner that wanted to go back to the "good ole' days of the late 80's, early 90's". :D

Seriously, I think BB is here for life if he wants it. I think he'd hit retirement time before assuming "firing" justification stats.

Shanny, got fired as the GM work think, unfortunately, his HC services got wrapped up in it too. No way to seperate the two. Dungy is in til he retires, or dies. I think he and BB are the only ones in that catagory now.

Jeff Fisher? Although I probably would have had him on the same level of job security as Shanahan, so who knows.

AAlthough Shanahan still had many defenders, a significant part of the Broncos fan base wanted him out even though he consistently fielded a competitive team.

The last time Denver was competitive was 2005. The defense has gotten significantly worse during that time, and hes shown that hes a poor judge of coaching talent, and pretty much an awful GM. You can't judge coaches by what they did a decade ago. Talent declines in all things, mental and physical.

I guarantee he was fired because he refused to step down from the GM position. Denver has been hemoraghing talent for years.

Last edited:
As good of a coach as BB is, the player personnel in New England has been huge over the Pats run of success this decade. From being able to bringing in "problem" players and making them shine (Dillon and Moss) to getting the most out of players that would have been done in any other organization (Seau) and *some* of their drafting (Brady, Cassel, Mayo, et. al.), the pipeline has been a huge part of it. As that organization talent is lost, can the right bodies be found to fill it? Time will tell. But as great as BB is as a coach, he can't play on the field, and the right bodies need to be wearing Pats uniforms.

If Belichick got drunk, took all his clothes off, and sashayed through Downtown Crossing with a shotgun and accidently shot someone in the face he wouldnt get fired.

but the third time he might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye