PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would Brady or Josh want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of us know the schedule of Brady's contract negotiations.

I agree that it is most reasonable to extend him as soon as possible.

Realizing that you are talking about Mo, I think that a reasonable argument could be made that the 2013 cost of Brady in salary cap hit alone would be quite enough of a reason for extension. There are other aspects such as additional cap savings for this year, along with being able to tie Brady into a "reasonable" contract for the future as the QB numbers continue to rise. His play has still remained at a level that warrants keeping him obviously, and after all, he still only has 2 yrs left on his current deal, so it'd have to be this year or next year anyway....

Before the Patriots make any moves that Josh wants, I would ask for a THOROUGH explanation for why he got them to trade a draft pick for Greg Salas who was a waste, and also explain his past Broncos personnel moves including drafting Laurence Maroney (then trading a 4th for him in Denver), Chad Jackson, Kevin O'Connell, Alfphonso Smith, 1st rounder for Tim Tebow, and a half dozen others that I can't immediately think of right now.

I think that Josh and Tom would like to keep Vollmer. However, I do agree that this is unlikely. I certainly want to keep Thomas. I guess much depends on the team's evaluation of Cannon and the free agent RT's and even draftees available.

The re-signs list is obviously debatable. I wouldn't personally have Vollmer in there myself, as that specific player assessment will probably not be what he could fetch from other teams, and not what Bill Belichick would be willing to pay. Edelman, Woodhead, and Thomas should be somewhat reasonable. Any combination of 2 out of those 3 would be just fine, although I would probably include Thomas as one either way.

Before the Patriots make any moves that Josh wants, I would ask for a THOROUGH explanation for why he got them to trade a draft pick for Greg Salas who was a waste, and also explain his past Broncos personnel moves including drafting Laurence Maroney (then trading a 4th for him in Denver), Chad Jackson, Kevin O'Connell, Alfphonso Smith, 1st rounder for Tim Tebow, and a half dozen others that I can't immediately think of right now.

Since Josh didn't draft

Chad Jackson
Laurence Maroney
Kevin O'Connell

we can ignore that.

Since Tebow was basically a free pick because of McDaniels' wheeling and dealing, and he took the team to the playoffs in 2011, there's nothing to defend there. This is expecially true when you look at the rest of the QBs in that 2010 draft.

Since the Salas deal was for a conditional 7th round pick in 2015, there's really nothing to defend there.

Also, you ignore most of his excellent 2010 draft. Why is that?

I don't know why we keep on arguing about Edelman, but here goes.

Edelman is a fine punt returner, and is OK as an emergency backup wide receiver.

Let's just consider Edelman our #4 WR and top punt returner and be done with it.

Edelman will never get lots of reps unless there is no choice.
======================

If Welker goes, I would NOT expect to see a huge rise in Edelman's reps in the slot. I would expect to see a lot of Hernandez in the slot, even Gronkowski.

I don't know why we keep on arguing about Edelman, but here goes.

Edelman is a fine punt returner, and is OK as an emergency backup wide receiver.

Let's just consider Edelman our #4 WR and top punt returner and be done with it.

Edelman will never get lots of reps unless there is no choice.
======================

If Welker goes, I would NOT expect to see a huge rise in Edelman's reps in the slot. I would expect to see a lot of Hernandez in the slot, even Gronkowski.
Why would we consider Edelman our #4 WR when he was never worse than the #3 last year and was taking some #2 snaps?

Who else did we have healthy on the roster when Edelman did this heroic duty as our #3 receiver? BTW, If Brady thought that Edelman was getting open, Edelman would have lots of receptions by now, lots.

For me, I want to into this season with Welker, Lloyd, a top draft choice and Edelman. If we don't keep Welker, I expect to see to see a top free agent replacement. Silly me, I would also like an additional draft pick or free agent.

We were understaffed at WR last year. We consciously did this last year, counting on our TE's to take up the slack. I would like more redundancy this year.

We need to figure out how to score more against top defenses late in the season, even with one of our top receivers (WR or TE) injured. We need to stretch the filed better.

Why would we consider Edelman our #4 WR when he was never worse than the #3 last year and was taking some #2 snaps?

I think the biggest "want" here would have to be for a receiver that can beat single coverage from a #1 CB at a variety of route depths. Unfortunately, there probably aren't too many, if any, realistic options.

We need to draft a guy like that, it'd help this offense out tremendously.

Since Josh didn't draft

Chad Jackson
Laurence Maroney
Kevin O'Connell

we can ignore that.

You are wrong

He personally worked them out and they were picked bc of him

Read 'War Room' and 'Patriot Reign' before you try to argue out of ignorance

You are wrong

He personally worked them out and they were picked bc of him

Read 'War Room' and 'Patriot Reign' before you try to argue out of ignorance

McDaniels wasn't drafting for the Patriots. There's a difference between having input and actually drafting the players.

Also, how about that 2010 Broncos draft, huh? It was a great draft, even if you don't like the Tebow pick. Was that McDaniels, by any chance? Why, it must have been, since you say the Tebow pick was McDaniels, and it's that very same draft.

Thomas
Tebow
Beadles
Walton
Decker
Cox
Olsen

Yes, indeed, a great job of drafting by that McDaniels guy.

Re: Edelperson. . . .

He's the second-best punt returner, by yards per return, over the last four seasons (counting only folks who've returned at least 20 punts in that span), and only Devin Hester and Patrick Peterson have more TDs.

As for his receiving skills, I'm not sure what constitutes reasonable expectations. Even if he plays another ten years, he still won't have as much experience at WR as Welker and Lloyd do now.

In any case, I'd be very nervous about the Pats putting Edelperson in Welker's role, but I'd have no problem with bringing him back as a "#3."

I've never understood the argument that supports a player not being all that good on the field, because he lacks experience.
That may be a reason why he isn't that good, but it isn't justificiation to put him on the field. Its like 'don't be mean to him, he doesn't have experience so you can expect much from him". Hell yes you can, or go get someone better.

Because we need someone better than him to be #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back