PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would be your opening offer to extend Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some other contracts to compare keeping in mind Welker will be 31 in May:

Larry Fitzgerald (28) 8/120 47G
Santonio Holmes (27) 5/50 with 24 guaranteed
Santana Moss (32) 3/15 with 6 g
Brad Smith (27) 4/15
Vincent Jackson 1/11.9 franchise
Steve Smith (26 Giants) 1/4 2G
Malcomb Floyd (29) 2/5
Lance Moore (28) 5/20 7G and would reach 22 with incentives

Although older than Jackson or Holmes I'd say he's more valuable and consistent. Teams however fall in love with outside size and speed so the money for a smaller slot guy might not be there. The intangibles, leadership and character that Welker brings is off the charts and the other two are risks at best. I think teams may also look at Welker and think about Branch and say he won't be the same player minus Tom Brady.

Throwing it all together I'd say it will be something like 4/28-32 with 10-14 guaranteed. That won't be the initial offer and hopefully Wes wants to stay like he's publicly stated.

I think you also have to factor in one of these teams with loads of cap room getting involved. KC, Tampa, etc. I wish they would just get it done now and not take the chance of losing him.

drevil.jpg

In all seriousness 5-6 mil

Can't be a 3 year deal. Slot WR's tend to last longer than Flankers or Split ends.

I also think he would take a hometown discount.

Larry Fitzgerald (28) 8/120 47G
Santonio Holmes (27) 5/50 with 24 guaranteed
Santana Moss (32) 3/15 with 6 g
Brad Smith (27) 4/15
Vincent Jackson 1/11.9 franchise
Steve Smith (26 Giants) 1/4 2G
Malcomb Floyd (29) 2/5
Lance Moore (28) 5/20 7G and would reach 22 with incentives

Welker is arguably better than any wide receiver on this list outside of Fitzgerald, Vjax, and Holmes.

so I think Welker's worth at least 6 million per. On the open market he would go for even more. So you have to adjust the contract for that. Hopefully he'd take 4/28. anything less would be a bargain imo. The bonus money will be a negotiating point as well but I have no doubt he's getting double digit millions in bonus money.

Last edited:
I don't want to talk numbers. I would say he deserves high second tier money. Eventhough he leads the league in yards right now, I don't see him as an elite WR. He deserves the top of the next tier after the Larry Fitzgeralds of the world.

I think you also have to factor in one of these teams with loads of cap room getting involved. KC, Tampa, etc. I wish they would just get it done now and not take the chance of losing him.

I am all but certain they will, if necessary, put the franchise tag on him until they can get a deal done.

4 years 36 million, 20 million guaranteed. His value is going up by the week.

He's got all the bargaining power right now. He's on pace to shatter the receptions record and there are probably 5 teams right now that will give him top dollar imo knowing he would improve their QB and team after the first practice.

It's all on Welker right now. If he likes playing with Tom and thinks he would be better suited to stay here than that's what he will do. If he wants big money he is going to get it,if not with us,with someone else.

Btw, What happened to all the believers that Julian Edelman was the next Wes Welker?

Welker is arguably better than any wide receiver on this list outside of Fitzgerald, Vjax, and Holmes.

so I think Welker's worth at least 6 million per. On the open market he would go for even more. So you have to adjust the contract for that. Hopefully he'd take 4/28. anything less would be a bargain imo. The bonus money will be a negotiating point as well but I have no doubt he's getting double digit millions in bonus money.

I agree but people were going as low as 3/18 earlier in the thread. I think all things considered it's going to be 4 year at 7 to 8 million and perhaps some bonus money or additional guaranteed money in years 3 and 4 based on performance in years 1 and 2.

I am all but certain they will, if necessary, put the franchise tag on him until they can get a deal done.

It's a good point. VJAX got 11.9 this year so I expect it'll be 12 and change next year. Maybe they make that the signing bonus to get the deal done.

Welker IS better than Holmes.

Btw, What happened to all the believers that Julian Edelman was the next Wes Welker?

I laughed at those people back then and I laugh at them now. Who in their right mind sees anything in Edelman to believe he could do what Welker does?

Little AY-delman was drafted to give Krafty enough leverage to give Welker a "value" (i.e. lowball) extension offer.

Unfortunately little AY-delman didn't become the next Wes Welker.

Poor Krafty. :(

He might have to open that moth-eaten purse real wide for Wes.

:cool:

Last edited:
1-year, vet minimum for Welker, says Nathan Drake and Sciz.

honestly the Pats could probably get a first round pick for him, the way Welker is playing. three picks in the first round would really help in developing that pass rush

LOL and then Edelman is gonna step up and perform just as well right? :rolleyes: Come on man, let's be serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back