PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What would be your opening offer to extend Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that our "sweet white warrior of touchdown goodness" has shown that he's recovered from his injuries. [Fact: Welker has already earned more than 50% of the yards he had all of last year.]

Assuming [knock on wood] that he stays healthy, what would you offer Welker to procure his services for 2012 and beyond?

I think that our "sweet white warrior of touchdown goodness" has shown that he's recovered from his injuries. [Fact: Welker has already earned more than 50% of the yards he had all of last year.]

Assuming [knock on wood] that he stays healthy, what would you offer Welker to procure his services for 2012 and beyond?

My first born.

Every defensive player's contract.

Depends....if you go by market standards and Wes has a monster year like in 09(which he is well on pace) and consider his performance since 07....that little beast could ask for alot. I doubt he will though. I think it's far more important for him to stay in NE with Tommy.

My first born.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm looking for actual numbers. After all, I don't think "first born" is acceptable compensation in NFL contracts. ;)

While I appreciate the sentiment, I'm looking for actual numbers. After all, I don't think "first born" is acceptable compensation in NFL contracts. ;)

ouu2.jpg

3 year 18 million; 12 million guaranteed.

I could see it going up to 4 year 27 million range. He's an irreplaceable figure in the offense and a true example of work ethic. He is very trusted by Brady.

Hard to disagree with a 3 year deal.

Somewhere up to the 10 million range would be fair, I think.

5 yers 48 million with 22 million guaranteed

3 years 21million? 15 guaranteed.

too low?

I could see it going up to 4 year 27 million range. He's an irreplaceable figure in the offense and a true example of work ethic. He is very trusted by Brady.

I like this summation here. I think thats reasonable and he definately deserves it. This is guy has shown season after season that he's the real deal everytime he hits the field.

Welker has everything that sums the "patriot way" up. Team player, hard worker, shows up each game and not afraid to use competitive sarcasm (reference "good little foot soldier") when the time calls.

3 at 21, 21 guaranteed.

He will be 31 so a 3 yr contract will put him at 34 in the market. He will want a 4 yr contract for sure .

So i put this a few threads before

4 yr /12 yr contract with 6 million signing bonus.
Cheifs,Rams and even the jets will make a play for him with a few more bucks.
but if we offer now he will be all set.

He now has 470 yds guys and in 13 more games will have close to 1100yds

I think while the 3 year deals sound like a low risk slam dunk for the organization, it will take a 4 year deal to get it done. I'll say 4 years $25M with $15M guaranteed with $3M more available in incentives. Wouldn't ****er if they countered with 5 years $30M with $18M guaranteed plus $4M in incentives. Tommy is currently signed thru 2014 and I have always contended this is not his to retirement deal. He and the team will look to do another 3-4 year extension before 2014 that will become his to retirement deal. It will help for him to know they retained his favorite WR's thru his present deal and to have his safety net slot receiver under contract heading into his retirement deal.

That is why I can also see them signing a 2-3 year extension with Branch for $3+ AAV - say 3 years $10M with incentives that could earn him another $2M with $6M guaranteed. He got his big deal in Seattle, and he wants to finish his career in comfort with Tommy.

The fact that neither of them is under contract beyond 2011 (while the #3 WR is signed through 2013) is something the team really needs to address...

He relies more on quickness than speed and is already on the "same page" with Brady. He is tough as nails with hands like glue and knows the system cold.

Whatever it takes for a 3 year deal.....whatever it takes....

How about $24 million dollars along with all the booze and hookers he wants on road trips?

I don't know about the numbers, however a three year deal would be my preference too.

if the OP really wants serious numbers, find out and post Welker's most recent contract numbers, and also recent contract numbers for other WR's in the league, preferably slot wr's, but definitely top 20 wr's in the league money

my initial thoughts are 5-7 mil a year, if memory serves, hes making about 3mil a year right now no? almost doubling would hopefully get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes