PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will you watch for in Eagles - Patriots preseason game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goheels22002

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm psyched to get down to Gillette for tonight's preseason game. Two good teams with their starters on the field early, and so many guys playing for their pro football jobs.

In no particular order:

1) Revis in a Patriots uniform, and where he lines up.
2) Who gets reps with McCourty at the "other safety" spot
3) The mix of WRs, especially if Dobson gets on the field.
4) How Vince and Tommy Kelly look against the Eagles starters
5) Is Mayo in the house? Even if he does not play, is he in uniform? He's critical to this defense.
6) I'm less interested in the starting OL tonight, and more interested to watch the rookies and back-ups in pass protection with Garoppolo
7) Will Finch have a clean game? It would be great to have a return man who can spell Edelman on punts and be a threat on kickoffs

I'd like to see mallet make some touch throws over the middle in the 5-10 yard range.
I'd like to see tyms and JG continue to play well together
I'd like to see the rookie RB's look like they actually belong on a football field.
I'd love to see no turn overs.

1. Line play on both sides of the ball.

2. Cheerleaders.

3. If Garoppolo comes off his first read and checks down to his other options and just how quickly he goes through those progressions.

1 - OLine. - If we hope to go all the way this season, we need a steady O Line. It's good that we'll start with a vanilla Eagles' Defense, but, if all the reports are to be trusted, we have a lot to improve

2 - Darius Fleming and Malcolm Butler. - Young guys with good odds of making the roster. Are they deserving of our confidence, or just slightly-above JAGs?

3 - Tom Brady, his pygmes and a taller guy. - how much better is the passing game, even without gronk? Are we capable of having stability in the WR position?

4 - Gropp - i want to see if he is able to keep the momentum going, after a great game and practices

Who starts with Revis? Does Butler get the start 2 weeks in a row or will it be Browner?
How vanilla the secondary is (Revis strictly on the left, for example).
Does Tyms get some time with Brady, even if it's just in the red zone/
Who's returning kicks
Has Finch found a pair of gloves?!

I'll be in the house as well, and I'll be looking at LaFell on offense (does he put himself where Brady wants him to be?) and Revis lining up against Jeremy Maclin (presumably) on defense. Those are our key free agent acquisitions, and I expect a lot from both.

Garoppolo vs Mallett

Thompkins vs Lafell

Dennard vs Ryan vs Butler

How Develin looks at TE

I am typically don't go into games looking for anything. The thing is we have no idea what Belichick and the coaching staff are looking for. They may gear the gameplan to see something we are not expecting. For example, the second preseason game last year everyone went into that game looking to see how the passing game was going to look and the Pats ran on every down on the first drive.

I know it is boring and a cop out, but I just watch the games. I am not looking for anything because preseason is very deceptive. I mean in 2008 Cassel looked like a bubble player on the wrong side of the bubble and went onto lead the team to 11 wins. Last year Zach Sudfeld was labeled Baby Gronk in the preseason and ended up being a disaster on the field when the bullets started to fly and was cut.

I'm psyched to get down to Gillette for tonight's preseason game. Two good teams with their starters on the field early, and so many guys playing for their pro football jobs.

In no particular order:

1) Revis in a Patriots uniform, and where he lines up.
2) Who gets reps with McCourty at the "other safety" spot
3) The mix of WRs, especially if Dobson gets on the field.
4) How Vince and Tommy Kelly look against the Eagles starters
5) Is Mayo in the house? Even if he does not play, is he in uniform? He's critical to this defense.
6) I'm less interested in the starting OL tonight, and more interested to watch the rookies and back-ups in pass protection with Garoppolo
7) Will Finch have a clean game? It would be great to have a return man who can spell Edelman on punts and be a threat on kickoffs

Reports say that Dobson won't be playing.
Mayo's wife is expecting a child. I believe he's still out for that. Yes he's critical, but not as much during pre-season.

I will be looking for consistency.

Do the O-linemen hold their blocks and not get pushed back into the QB?
Do the RBs hit the right hole?
Do the RBs pick up the blitz, even if they get run over..
Do the RBs hold on to the damn ball or put it on the ground
Do the WRs make the catches they are supposed to make
How does the D-line do? Do Jones and Ninkovich play?
How do the back-up D-line do? Do they get consistent push? Who get's double-teams (if anyone) and do they beat it?
Do the reserve D-line get steam-rolled in the running game?
Do the reserve DBs stay with their men and only get beat by excellent plays?
How do the back up safeties do? Are they where they are supposed to be? Are they late to the play?

Who plays at LT 1st team

Mayo's wife is expecting a child. I believe he's still out for that. Yes he's critical, but not as much during pre-season.
If Mayo is out bc he and his wife are expecting a kid, then it is good he is not injured and it is a legitimate reason to miss practice and this preseason game. I wish mayo and his family the best of luck.

My biggest concern right how is how WELL the OL plays, not WHO is playing. Before the season I thought the Pats were going to have a top 5 OL. Now I'm not so sure. With Solder leaving practice early and so many different players being run in and out of the first OL at so many different positions, I'm starting to get a LITTLE concerned.

Now I understand what BB is trying to do with all the rotations. With all the roster restrictions its likely the Pats are only going to keep 9 offensive linemen tops. No one can afford to just play ONE position in that scenario. I just hope that some time this preseason, BB starts to develop some kind of stable line up on the OL.

Other than that I'll be interested in seeing some of the starters in action for the first time. The Eagles DO have one of the top OL's in the league, so this will be a big test to see if front 7 can get some pressure on Foles

I'll also be interested in seeing if we stay in the 3-4 again as our primary alignment. Also I want to see if we are more aggressive with our DL. Philly is a playoff caliber team, so seeing how we compete will be of interest.

Finally, I'll be watching to see if some of the key back ups like Will Smith and Buchannon are prgressing

With what I have read and heard about the 2 mixed camps the Patriots have had WR isn't as high on my list as it was.

Right now I want to see

#1 OL - Just the whole thing in general. That to me is the most concerning part of the team right now. Maybe they will do great tonight and it will change. Especially C/G.

#2 backup DEs - Jones/Nink are fine. But who spells them? We need at the very least 1 more guy and hopefully 2. DT isn't as concerning cause I like our depth there and bodies will get healthy enough.

#3 backup LBs - Mayo will probably not play so I am curious to see how they work around that. Do they go with Anderson? Personally I was not very impressed with our backup LBs last game. Fleming did okay but that was against 3s. If Mayo goes down for a few games who do we have?

#4 SS - Wilson/Chung/Harmon. I wanna see how they all play.

#5 CB - We have Revis which is great but what else do we have? How close is Dennard to being ready? Does Ryan bounce back? Can Browner get it done in the current game? Is Butler the real deal? I am not overly concerned cause having Revis covers a lot but I am curious to see how it plays out.

Things I am not so interested in...

TE - This game will show us nothing. Maybe we keep the new guy as a blocker but even if we do I am not overly worried about it.
RB - All set here. The only thing I am curious about is a Ridley fumble. Hopefully it will not happen.
WR - I am not too concerned about the 5th and 6th options. Maybe if Dobson comes back and looks not ready I will worry more about Thompkins/Boyce/Tyms. I am kinda interested to see Tyms though.
DT - No more injuries then no problem. As long as people stay healthy this will be fine. I have 5 players here I like and am just waiting for them to get back.
QB - It will be fun to watch but the only reason this is at all interesting is that maybe we can save a spot by cutting Mallet of Jimmy G. shows enough.

Speaking of which, is anyone else disappointed that there are no baby GRONKlings yet? :)

Anybody going to tonight's game should watch out for Joe Kerr's huge melon head in Section 227...

Harmon to impress, since he is most talented/highest ceiling of as candidates. Except if they play Browner there of course. Who would reset SS prototype.

Another pass rusher to step up and show legit 10+ sack potential. As well as Chandler to progress.

Older DTs to show they are still above average starters and a young DT to make asplash. As well as easley to look like an NFL sized DT and belongs there. I know HEs under300 that's fine as long as he doesn't look like an adolescent among DTs likesome pics.

A young 6'+ WR to step up and look comfortable and natural as he impresses like Dobson or Kenbrell. Would be nice to see either of them or TYMS blow up CARY WILLIAMS!!

A Young corner to impress and step up like Logan Ryan especially or Dennard and look like a top flight #2 Corner who plays closer to like a # ONE corner. As well as Revis to show he has all his speed/quickness/athleticism as before his injury. He is thought of as being a strong physical corner as the reason he is dominant. His speed athleticism was just as important. He ran a 4.36 and I think a 1.46 10 yard split. Elite quickness/athleticism was just as important to his dominance.

Solder needs to get his act together. Would like for Fleming and Halapio to impress,especially Fleming and get consideration for RG where I think he'll be a standout. Would like to see Halapio impress Bellichick/coaches and get considered to try at Center. I would like to see Cannon impress as well. Future interior OLine could look like LG-Cannon/Center Halapio/RG-Fleming next season. They should all make for a big physical powerful OLine while Cannon/Fleming have great agility/quickness for Guards

Can you guess what I really don't want to see more of

th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back