PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will the starting Defense be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised how many people agree that Fletcher could start at OLB.

Bodden is coming off a season ending injury. The last NFL game he played was over 1.5 years ago.

Arrington is better than you give him credit for. He didnt get burnt badly last year and he has better size for the outside corner spot.

Bodden was in the slot in preseason game 1

Its not like Bodden is coming off an ACL or lower body injury. He had a torn rotator cuff, he should be right back to his old self. Bodden played one play in the slot on the first series, then came in and played the outside on the second series replacing Arrington with Butler on the other side. I don't remember if he played inside again at any point during the remainder of the game.

Arrington is exactly what I give him credit for, he played surprisingly well after getting thrust into the starter role. He is a solid 3/4th CB in the NFL. He is not a top 15 CB and Bodden is/was prior to getting hurt. Bodden and McCourtey should be a top 3 CB combo this year, if they both play to form. McCourtey and Arrington would not be.

And Arrington got beat pretty badly by Holmes for a TD against the Jets in the postseason. Holmes turned him a round and then made a diving catch. For the record I like Arrington he is a good middle of the roster guy that you know you can count on if needed. He is also good insurance in case Dowling doesn't work out because of injury or otherwise.

Last edited:
PFW notes from today's practice re: Carter:

–Andre Carter was the star of the practice. The veteran defensive end was a force in the one-on-one drills with the offensive line, at one point badly beating No. 1 pick Nate Solder. He also beat Light and was then an active force in team drills near the end of practice. Carter clearly has the size and speed to win battles on the edge and may be the team’s best individual pass rusher at this point in camp.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

PFW notes from today's practice re: Carter:

Take it for whatever it's worth.
He could be the perfect fit for the role I expect him in.
I expect that he will play about 50% of the snaps on defense, mostly in sub packages.
This will keep him fresh in games and thoughout the season.
He skill is pass rushing, and he is an older player who could wear down. There is no sense over using him, or trying to jam him in on the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots