PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Will The Patriots Policy Be For #55 Jersey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I can handle Willie moving on...but someone wearing #55 well that's a whole different story. What is the Patriots policy for retiring numbers? We have 7 retired right now.​

#20 Gino Cappelltti

#40 Mike Haynes​
#57 Steve Nelson
#73 John Hannah​
#78 Bruce Armstrong
#79 Jim Hunt​
#89 Bob Dee

Mike Haynes played 1/2 his career for the Raiders and still had his number retired.​
Do we have to wait until Willie retires for the jersey to be officially retired.​
I searched but cannot find the policy for that.​

Monty Beisel wears #52 which was Ted Johnson.​
It doesn't appear his number will be retired.​

So am I being overly hopefull that Willie's #55 will be retired?​
12 years and 2 Pro Bowls should be enough.​

Last edited:
No the only number I see being retired is No. 12. It's harder to retire numbers in the NFL, I just don't see it happening.

w/ 53 players on a roster its tough to retire too many #'s. Because when do you stop

bruschi
troy
adam
brady
Willie
Ty
etc.

Mike Stone had Ty Law's number... If the Pats would get Jullian Peterson, they could give him 55 if they want, they should start thinking about givin number 11 away as well.. that era is over...

Julius Adams' number (#85) is not retired, nor is he in the Patriots Hall of Fame. Willie was a consumate Patriot. I'd like to see both in the Patriots Hall of Fame - Julius first

We give Willie's 55 to 1st round pick Manny Lawson of course....

The number gets reissued because NFL rules will require all the 50's to be used up on LBs. Retiring the number while Willie is still active is premature.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Mike Stone had Ty Law's number... If the Pats would get Jullian Peterson, they could give him 55 if they want, they should start thinking about givin number 11 away as well.. that era is over...

I agree, why Tony Eason didn't even show u pfor the 86' team halftime appreciation last year!! :D

Just for info - 7 Patriot's numbers have been retired. All players listed below are in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

78 Bruce Armstrong
20 Gino Cappelletti
89 Bob Dee
57 Steve Nelson

73 John Hannah - also NFL HOF
79 Jim Lee Hunt
40 Michael Haynes - also NFL HOF

85 Nick Buoniconti - also NFL HOF
14 Steve Grogan
5 Vito Parilli
56 Andre Tippett

Willie Ty Law and Drew Bledsoe , Time to move on with out them..

The only numbers left to retire are

4 Adam, - Although that could change by Friday

12 Brady- Nuff Said

54 Bruschi- He has been Mr Pat the last 10 yrs...

Now that WRs can wear 10-49, I expect Stanley Morgan's #86 to go next.

I think they would be foolish to let anyone else wear that number. Seriously, Willie was the ultimate Pat in good times and bad. I think he was as important as Andre Tippett, and I'm pretty sure #56 is not retired, but no one wears it...

They should adopt the same policy for Willie's #55

I went to school with armstrong's Daughter candice. He was a real nice guy. He always had a pocketfull of autographed Football cards that he would give out. Kinda smart...cause then he didn't have to take all day to sign random things...

Numbers are tight in the NFL. They should consider a ring of fame around the stadium. A couple of other teams do this (although I can't remember which ones).

Willie55 said:
Numbers are tight in the NFL. They should consider a ring of fame around the stadium. A couple of other teams do this (although I can't remember which ones).

Dallas and Denver to name two.

I think the Patriots have a similar thing with banners. Last time I went there were a couple of huge banners of past Patriots prominently displayed.

ya they have some banners

but i think 55 has a decent chance of bein retired

what they should do is not allow anyone to have it for a while

but it could almost be used later on as a sign of respect and admiration toward willie
the way it was used on him when seau left usc

i think that they will not retire # 55 but for a long time no one will dress this number...

thks again Willie Mc Ginest ! a True Patriot !!!

good luck and thanks for the memories !

you was one of my favourite players !

I don't think they will retire Willie's jersey - had he stayed with the team his entire career they might have

For now I don't expect they will issue #55 to anyone for the foreseeable future. They will see how Willie stands the test of time from a Fan's perspective, and see what Willie does once he retires....

Does he return to this area and settle down? Take on a role as a Patriots goodwill ambassador after his Browns contract is up and he retires?

At that time the Krafts might consider that his # is worthy of a retirement ceremony, most likely designed to raises money for a charity.... but those are a lot of ifs.

Remember last year Beisel started with #44 (I think) before being switched to TJ's old number? That was because the NFL requires teams, (as Box said) to use up all available 50's before going to alternate numbers. If it's not retired (and it won't be) then it must be used.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Remember last year Beisel started with #44 (I think) before being switched to TJ's old number? That was because the NFL requires teams, (as Box said) to use up all available 50's before going to alternate numbers. If it's not retired (and it won't be) then it must be used.

I would have to think that the NFL recognizes the benefit of retiring numbers of certain players.

One doesn't turn around and retire a players' number as soon as one signs with another team. There's usually a waiting period in which it would be in poor taste to assign the number elsewhere.

If the Patriots felt strongly that Ted Johnson's # was to be retired (obviously no one did) I'm sure the NFL would not have enforced such an obscure rule. If the Patriots are considering this at all with Willie, I'd expect that the NFL lays off of that rule.

If you see it assigned to someone else, take that as a sure sign it won't be retired (personally I don't think it should be - even though when I think of 55 in a Pats uniform, it will always be Willie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back