PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will the next Pats' starting QB be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going in this with only one assumption, which, barring any truly bizarre scientific developments, is basically a given: eventually, at some point in the future, Tom Brady will retire. [Shocking, I know. :eek:]

So--in general terms, how do you see the Pats, when the time comes, going about trying to replace the talented Mr. Brady?

[Obviously, this is going to depend on a number of factors: how long he plays, how long you think the current staff will be in place, how well he plays his last year, what you think the Pats' drafting strategy with respect to QBs is, etc. I'm just trying to get a discussion started.]

With the current brain-trust, I really can't envision a scenario in which a "stud" prospect is ever entertained. Presumably, we won't be in the position to get one, anyway, unless a Quinn event happens again. And then, was Quinn ever really a stud to begin with?

Which leads in to the next point. Stud quarterbacks are almost notorious for ending up to be anything but. Perhaps it's the desperate situations they find themselves in, whether by poor coaching, poor surrounding cast, poor insight, or poor true talent.

Off the top of my head, which is addled at the moment, Palmer and Manning the elder are the only true heralded collegiates who have proven themselves worthy. Young is intriguing and Leinart is being given every opportunity. There are prolly 3-5 others than are debatable, including Roethlisberger, who has excelled without really excelling.

My speculation is a present (red-shirt) freshman somewhere who is a not-so-exciting prospect but smart and capable, drafted in rds. 2-5, and is groomed for a couple years. Or, we'll funk into a Bears-like retrograde motion of revolving schmucks.

Long way to say it'll be interesting to see and I have zero idea.
Hell, I'm posting it anyway...

His replacement is probably an 9th or 10th grader this year. Why worry about it now, why not just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back