PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will Moss cost next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont see us franshishing him...the only way we keep him is by a long term contract

how can you franchise him if he is already going to be under contract or could be with option bonuses?

Thats certainly a factor in his decision making. I dont see any other team (besides NE & Indy) that gives Moss a chance to win every year (some teams have the potentials to become perennial contenders but its too early to say in those cases)

Dallas and San Diego come to mind. I would still consider San Diego a possibility even after the added Chambers. The addition of Chambers might make it more attractive actually for San Diego to go after Moss.

I really think Moss will be back in a Pats uniform next year. I feel extremely confident he will be extended/re-signed.

If he is back next year I think he will want close to top 10 money at the least. I think several teams will throw a lot at him if he shows he has "grown up" this season.

The success of our team depends on sufficient talent, too.

There is nothing heavily guaranteed in either Stallworth's or Washington's deals. Both are crafted around roster bonuses that could be considered incremental signing bonuses in lieu of up front double digit (in Donte's case) signing bonus. Move Donte's cap hits around a bit by converting salary or roster bonus to signing bonus and amortizing it and you have <$5M cap hits for the next couple of seasons followed by several million dollar cap hits in the out years. By 2010 if he's our lone #1 at that cap price and he's producing well it's not a problem. I doubt Moss will hang around as his skills erode, unless by then he's so addicted to winning here he becomes the affordable restructured veteran #2. We've already budgeted Washington in at $5.7M next year, so swapping him for Moss would only cost a few million more. BB understands that sometimes the best defense is a really good offense.

1. Not spending $6M per on a #2 receiver when we already have a team thats loaded at most positions is hardly the definition of "insufficient talent".

2. Stallworth will cost $11M to keep in 2008. Washington will cost $5.7M to keep in 2008.

In the case of Washington, this is nearly half his remaining compensation and certainly does heavily guarantee his remaining deal.

You could argue that paying Stallworth $11M doesn't heavily guarantee his remaining deal, but at the very least its a lot of money to pay a receiver if we're NOT going to keep him for the remainder of his contract.

The thing about moss is when he is on a winning team, he doesnt care about much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes