Not open for further replies.
i hope its 21,22,23,24,25,26 or 32

21-Gay..1 full year of playing really..sat out most of last year
22- Samuel.. likely wont give it up
23- Eric Warfield..he can still go back to his KC # 44 i believe
24- Mel Mitchell..new ST player..can talk to him and possibly work out a deal
25- Hawkins..possible he gives it up but i dont know
26- Wilson..likely wont give up
32- Poteat..he might be nice and as a #5 or worse CB..he might take Maroney's money for it

I really don't see the difference. Are some numerals inherently cool, and others aren't? We, as fans, are hoping he chooses a certain number? I've never heard of this phenomenon before. Was everybody pushing for Mankins and Hobbs to wear a certain number last year, and I don't remember?

dryheat44 said:
Was everybody pushing for Mankins and Hobbs to wear a certain number last year, and I don't remember?
Yes, anything but a number that ends in 9. It just irritates me so much... First thing I do in Madden franchises in switch people's numbers who have that and whenever I do reps of anything in working out I make sure I don't end on a rep ending in 9.

By the way... Is this a phobia??

pro sports numerology, according to holy writ

dryheat44 said:
I really don't see the difference. Are some numerals inherently cool, and others aren't? We, as fans, are hoping he chooses a certain number? I've never heard of this phenomenon before. Was everybody pushing for Mankins and Hobbs to wear a certain number last year, and I don't remember?
yeah, no question, xome #s are inherently cool, some are uncool, and some are thoroughly bad karma. a dose of patriot numerology:

#13--i can only remember seeing one nfl player wear that number, a clevelend browns QB named frank ryan. he was a good QB, too, numerous probowls, but of course no championships. after nfl he got a Ph.D. and is probably still working as a rocket scientist or teaching at caltech (seriously).
#11--bad medicine for patriots QBs. i first saw the number on the jersey of one "Champaign" Tony Eason, who took our team to the 1986 SB. Tony was later described by his starting LG, John Hawg Hannah, as a guy "who oughta be wearing a skirt" (no sh!t).
several years later, upon learining that much-heralded rookie QB Drew Bledsoe had chosen #11, many of us patriots suckers just knew, somehow, that things weren't gonna come out right with him.
#s 20, 39, 56, 59, 73, 81, 85, 86 -- all worn by great patriot players. #73 is hannah's number. i seem to recall that the # has never actually been retired. i DO remember that when it was issued to some undistinguished player (bob cryder?) a few years after hannah's retirement cryder was booed every time he set foot on the field. soon after chnaged his number.
and especially 84. darryl stingley's number. were i a patriot player i'd never accept that as my number. am amazed that ben watson has it on. some truly bad karma associated with that number.
so yeah, there is some meaning associated with certain numbers.

drew4008 said:
Yes, anything but a number that ends in 9. It just irritates me so much... First thing I do in Madden franchises in switch people's numbers who have that and whenever I do reps of anything in working out I make sure I don't end on a rep ending in 9.

By the way... Is this a phobia??
Really?? That's just a tad odd. I mean I can understand having a favorite number, but I don't think I've ever heard of a hated number (except for like 13, 666, 867530-Niiiiieeeine, etc.) Do you know the root of this aversion of yours?

ilduce06410 said:
#13--i can only remember seeing one nfl player wear that number
That's my favorite / lucky number. Try Kurt Warner, and our former beloved Ken Walter just off the top of my head.

your favorite number?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
That's my favorite / lucky number. Try Kurt Warner, and our former beloved Ken Walter just off the top of my head.
we are talking about the same ken walter, yes?
yes i do remember now, warner did pretty good with that #. nfl mvp once, or twice?
would you recommend it to a QB just entering the league?

Remix 6 said:
i hope its 21,22,23,24,25,26 or 32

21-Gay..1 full year of playing really..sat out most of last year
22- Samuel.. likely wont give it up
23- Eric Warfield..he can still go back to his KC # 44 i believe
24- Mel Mitchell..new ST player..can talk to him and possibly work out a deal
25- Hawkins..possible he gives it up but i dont know
26- Wilson..likely wont give up
32- Poteat..he might be nice and as a #5 or worse CB..he might take Maroney's money for it

He's a ROOKIE, not some established verteran coming in! He isn't just going to walk up to some player and ask for their number. No - his only meaningful job will to play FOOTALL, have his dreads shaved into a mohawk and carry equipment in practice! If I was his coach, I'd ASSIGN him whatever number I damn please, not what he wants! As with all rookies, he'll be going from the class of the NCAA to the depths of the NFL. Once he steps onto the practice fields with well-established veterans, all of his rookie hype is vaporized and he will WORK to earn respect, so maybe that ONE DAY he can ask another player for a number. This is the NFL! I could care less how great he was in college!

Also, his name will not be 'Lo-Mo.' It won't even be Laurence Maroney. It won't even be 'rook.' It will be whatever number he'll be wearing. That's it, because as far as I'm concerned, he has yet to do ANYTHING in the NFL yet.

Last edited:
okay so when Clinton Portis came into league as a Bronco..had 26..then went to Washington where a more experienced guy had the # and he paid him to trade #.

some players dont really have a meaning to # and if he does..then he'll ask some players if they would accept some extra cash or something to acquire.

ilduce06410 said:
\
#13--i can only remember seeing one nfl player wear that number, a clevelend browns QB named frank ryan. he was a good QB, too, numerous probowls, but of course no championships. after nfl he got a Ph.D. and is probably still working as a rocket scientist or teaching at caltech (seriously).

jim miller

There was that one #13...

T043608A.jpg

And then that 'liquored up kicker...'

1277939.jpg

Or...

sp-defense.jpg

And who could forget B-A-M?

1744900.jpg

Last edited:
ilduce06410 said:
we are talking about the same ken walter, yes?
Yes, THE Ken Walter. ;) "Beloved" was sarcastic.
ilduce06410 said:
yes i do remember now, warner did pretty good with that #. nfl mvp once, or twice?
would you recommend it to a QB just entering the league?
LOL, would I recommend it to a QB just entering the league? Depends on the QB. If HE thinks it's bad luck, no way... because it will be.

But from a numerology standpoint, I like 13. In the tradition of the Qabalah, 13 represents the path from Kether (God) to Tiphareth (our Higher Self or Intellect) on the Tree of Life. In the tradtion of the Tarot, the 13th path represents the High Preistess card (and the Hebrew letter Gimel) which signifies wisdom and knowledge, and the 13th key represents the Death card (and Hebrew letter Nun) signifiying transformation, change and purification. In the tradition of the I-Ching, Hexagram 13 (T'ung Jên - Fellowship with Men)
"
[FONT=Georgia, Bookman Old Style, Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Bookman Old Style, Book Antiqua, Garamond MT, Times New Roman]Heaven together with fire:
The image of Fellowship with Men.
Thus the superior man organizes the clans
And makes distinctions between things"

[/FONT] would be very fortuitous for a QB, the leader on the field (if you believe in any of this garbage) ;)

Is the nickname set...

at "Lo Mo"? Can't we make it "Lo Money?" It sounds mo better, and it's funny because he's playing for the Pats... if he actually got into that nickname, fans would LOVE him, however the contract goes.

PFnV

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Really?? That's just a tad odd. I mean I can understand having a favorite number, but I don't think I've ever heard of a hated number (except for like 13, 666, 867530-Niiiiieeeine, etc.) Do you know the root of this aversion of yours?
Started awhile back... I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, maybe that has something to do with it? And I've just always felt that those numbers should be rounded up to the nearest ten; when they're not it's irritating. But for some reason, 99 isn't that bad... Well, enough with me. This isn't therapy.

PatsFanInVa said:
at "Lo Mo"? Can't we make it "Lo Money?" It sounds mo better, and it's funny because he's playing for the Pats... if he actually got into that nickname, fans would LOVE him, however the contract goes.

PFnV
His nickname among teammates has been Kool-Aid, ever since he tried to put out a fire with kool-aid. At least that's what I read... I wouldn't be surprised if he was called the same thing on the Pats, although for msg board sake, I'm guessing LoMo will stick. After all, do you think Brady is referred to as TB often among peers? or Eugene Wilson as Geno? etc.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
Started awhile back... I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, maybe that has something to do with it? And I've just always felt that those numbers should be rounded up to the nearest ten; when they're not it's irritating. But for some reason, 99 isn't that bad... Well, enough with me. This isn't therapy.
No, that's actually cool. I can understand that, well... I can see the thought process there. :) Thanks for taking the question seriously. The human mind is my favorite toy, totally fascinated by how they work.

drew4008 said:
His nickname among teammates has been Kool-Aid, ever since he tried to put out a fire with kool-aid. At least that's what I read... I wouldn't be surprised if he was called the same thing on the Pats, although for msg board sake, I'm guessing LoMo will stick. After all, do you think Brady is referred to as TB often among peers? or Eugene Wilson as Geno? etc.
Please God NO. LoMo sucks, sounds like SlowMo.

He's had the nickname Kool-Aid since he was a kid, we should honor that :rolleyes: by keeping the name, especially since it's so appropriate on this team.
I say we shorten it for message board use to K-A. :rocker:

Last edited:
Screw it, I'm calling him Lo Money, since it's only for message board purposes. I remember Kool-aid now... which is probably the best thing he could be called for the Pats.

Antwaan Spann has #31. He is going to be a practice squad or an early cut..leaving 31 open. Then, Maroney can take 31 or 32 because Poteat has 32 and if 31 is avaible..Poteat might take 31 because its what he had before i believe in training camp

will everyone be as mad as me if reggie bush gets preferential treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down