PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will it take to ease the pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
What will make us happy as Pats fans this offseason...

1 Sign a Keyshawn, or Moulds

2 maybee splurge and go for Arrington or resign Ty Law...

3 Resgin Seymoer and or Branch....

What if we have a lousy draft???

I dont know what will happen, but there is a lot of doubt than there was last yr at this time... Scary...

Sean Pa Patriot said:

I dont know what will happen, but there is a lot of doubt than there was last yr at this time... Scary...

Re-sign Seymour and I think that will calm some us down. I know that it will work for me.

DefenseRules said:
Re-sign Seymour and I think that will calm some us down. I know that it will work for me.

that's all i want... we lost a WR who was barely a starter... and when he played, he dropped that huge pass vs denver.. way overrated.
we dumped an over-the-hill kicker... who we loved, but face it, his good days were LONG gone. He was FAR from a difference maker anymore.

I'd like to see:

1-Just one decent sized FA splash, if there's anyone left who would fit that bill or a trade for a real difference maker.

2-Resign BOTH Branch and Seymour.

3-Actually sign a couple of players who can come in and be productive to fill the holes we've opened. Jerry Azumah for instance.

4-Draft well. I have no worries on this one.

Last edited:
Sean Pa Patriot said:

I know what will make you happy next February !! !! !! !! And it certainly isn't what you think would make you happy now !! !! !! !! Don't you GET it that what you think is crucial at any cost is exactly what other teams do - and WHY they don't end up in the superbowl ?? ?? ?? ?? Why is it so hard to see cause and effect ?? The cause is how Belichick and Pioli make smart decisions as to how to spend the LIMITED salary cap dollars. The EFFECT is winning superbowls. Are you really into shortrange gratification at the expense of the final objective ?? Stop and think about it.

arrellbee said:
I know what will make you happy next February !! !! !! !! And it certainly isn't what you think would make you happy now !! !! !! !! Don't you GET it that what you think is crucial at any cost is exactly what other teams do - and WHY they don't end up in the superbowl ?? ?? ?? ?? Why is it so hard to see cause and effect ?? The cause is how Belichick and Pioli make smart decisions as to how to spend the LIMITED salary cap dollars. The EFFECT is winning superbowls. Are you really into shortrange gratification at the expense of the final objective ?? Stop and think about it.

Lets see how these holes are filled before we start penciling in super bowl wins next Feb.

SoonerPatriot said:
Lets see how these holes are filled before we start penciling in super bowl wins next Feb.
Gosh. I'm pretty sure we'll have 53 players on our roster come September.

The only pain I feel is the angst on the board about Vinatieri. I guess that'll be over . . . in a couple of months.

arrellbee said:
Gosh. I'm pretty sure we'll have 53 players on our roster come September.

Gee, you think? The question is will those players be as good or better than the ones that we lost. Nobody knows that answer to that yet. Some might think they do, but they don't.

SoonerPatriot said:
Gee, you think? The question is will those players be as good or better than the ones that we lost. Nobody knows that answer to that yet. Some might think they do, but they don't.
I doubt we'll get three players as good as Vinatieri, McGinest and Givens. But hopefully we'll come close enough and we might even improve in some areas to make up the difference.

BelichickFan said:
I doubt we'll get three players as good as Vinatieri, McGinest and Givens. But hopefully we'll come close enough and we might even improve in some areas to make up the difference.

And I don't think you can do that exclusively through the draft. At some point some of this $20 million cap room needs to get used on something before there's not much left out there in the FA pool to use it on.

BelichickFan said:
AV and WM's careers were over... face it... givens wasnt good enough to be a #1 WR on a team that has no #1... those 3 losses were NOTHING... is this your first year following the pats?

PatsWorldChamps said:
AV and WM's careers were over... face it... givens wasnt good enough to be a #1 WR on a team that has no #1... those 3 losses were NOTHING... is this your first year following the pats?

Were you saying their careers were over back in Oct, Nov, Dec?

Answer: No.

SoonerPatriot said:
That's for sure. The key, of course, is the total result of 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense. The strength at each position just simply and unavoidably changes each year. But the question is how effective all 11 players together in a Belichick scheme will be next year versus, for example, 2004. That's a far more critical question than the effect of one player per se. And for sure, as you say, nobody knows the answer to that. It's too bad that some folks seem so wrapped up in individual players.

SoonerPatriot said:
Were you saying their careers were over back in Oct, Nov, Dec?

Answer: No.
their contracts weren't redone then, moron.... you want a short-legged kicker? a 36-yr old LB? a #2 WR who dropped a ball that brady hit him in the hands with (to tie the denver game).. cut the cord... lose the losers.

arrellbee said:
That's for sure. The key, of course, is the total result of 11 guys on offense and 11 on defense. The strength at each position just simply and unavoidably changes each year. But the question is how effective all 11 players together in a Belichick scheme will be next year versus, for example, 2004. That's a far more critical question than the effect of one player per se. And for sure, as you say, nobody knows the answer to that. It's too bad that some folks seem so wrapped up in individual players.

That cuts both ways. It's a shame some people get so wrapped up in denegrating indivdual players. AV was a hero around here until a few weeks ago. Now he's a shlub. Givens was a well thought of WR before FA started, now he's labeled by some as a quasi No. 3 or No. 4 WR when that's simply not true. He's a skilled player who we haven't found a replacement for and may not find a replacement for.

All of these questions including how this affects the bottom line -- wins and losses-- will be answered soon enough. And really at the end of the day that's the ONLY thing that matters...wins and losses.

SoonerPatriot said:
And I don't think you can do that exclusively through the draft. At some point some of this $20 million cap room needs to get used on something before there's not much left out there in the FA pool to use it on.
Certainly a pertinent perspective. Last season there were something like 27 players on the 53 man roster that were drafted by the Patriots - so about half. So about half of the roster has to be filled out with free agents. It's not hard to figure that Belichick and Pioli don't have crystal balls to know if solid enough players will be available some time from now until the season starts. But I think experience has shown that many times there are. So it is something of a gamble. Life is not perfect. But there seems to be little doubt that they regard that gamble as being a better bet than paying big dollars for the free agents available early thereby robbing the money they have to fill the critical middle of the roster. For gosh sakes, it HAS worked !! Just have to wait and see this year.

arrellbee said:
Certainly a pertinent perspective. Last season there were something like 27 players on the 53 man roster that were drafted by the Patriots - so about half. So about half of the roster has to be filled out with free agents. It's not hard to figure that Belichick and Pioli don't have crystal balls to know if solid enough players will be available some time from now until the season starts. But I think experience has shown that many times there are. So it is something of a gamble. Life is not perfect. But there seems to be little doubt that they regard that gamble as being a better bet than paying big dollars for the free agents available early thereby robbing the money they have to fill the critical middle of the roster. For gosh sakes, it HAS worked !! Just have to wait and see this year.

I think one thing that MIGHT be hampering things from behind the scenes is how their talks with Seymour and Branch are going, if there are any talks at all. If they're having a tough time getting those guys to sign extensions its going to impact what they can do in FA if they don't know how much those guys are going to cost them. And it's clear what this off-season seems to be about -- getting cap room to get those guys extended. If that's not what it's about, then who knows WTF they're up to.

look, i was around when no one wanted an undrafted kicker from south dakota state.... no one wanted a kid from michigan as a qb.. and no one wanted a kid from marshall with our important 10th round pick. everyone wanted a WR over a DL in '01, not a DL... so step up... half of you are mutants from non-new england anyways...

Two words would make me ecstatic this offseason: RAY LEWIS

Second coming of Corey Dillon's deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back