PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Will Happen To Logan Mankins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Will Mankins and the Patriots be able to work out a new contract? Will the Patriots trade Mankins and what player or picks do you think we will get for him? Let the fun begin!

I think he is either signed to a long term contract, or traded.

If Mankins is smart, he'll cheerfully play under the franchise tag and enjoy being a rich man.

I think he'll get a long term contract.

If Mankins is smart, he'll cheerfully play under the franchise tag and enjoy being a rich man.

This....

But I'm not so sure he'll be smart about it.

I think (and hope) that Mankins and the organization will somehow be able to workout a long term contract. However, if they can't work something out and he demands a trade it better be for players. I can't see any draft picks making up for the loss of Mankins, we have enough already.

IMO The longer the lockout goes on....which is likely,then the longer shot that Mankins gets a long term deal,if they arent able to get together in a short time from now,its likely to drag on.

I don't see a trade happening unless Mankins goes wild and opens his mouth about Kraft in a negative light to the media.

I see him being traded, I belive the cap will going down when the dust clears and the pats not willing to pay 8% of the cap to a guard.

I love the guy, but that does not sound like a BB move to pay him at the Mangold/Evans level. Maybe a trade to Dallas for their 2nd is how it will play out.

Hutch will probably be cut in Minny if the cap goes down, I can see him or Faneca coming in for one year while they brink a couple of rookies along behind Kazcur and our back up kickoff returner.

I think (and hope) that Mankins and the organization will somehow be able to workout a long term contract. However, if they can't work something out and he demands a trade it better be for players. I can't see any draft picks making up for the loss of Mankins, we have enough already.

Guess where Mankins came from? A draft pick, #32 to be exact and said to be a reach at the time as he himself was expecting to be drafted in the late second or even third round. And he started out of the gate.

There is a reason you see almost no trades of players for players. Last time we did it it was change of scenery bust for bust with NO. It has to do with the salary cap. Players under contract have had chunks of their existing contracts amortized (spread over the life of their contract) and once amortized money remains where it was placed including with the team who amortized it (dead cap in the event of a trade or cut). And why would a team be interested in trading any proven player for the opportunity to acquire another player now looking for a top of the market deal unless the player they are willing to part with is himself overpriced or underperforming...or aging out. Far better to trade for picks and use them to replace your player, whether via the draft or in compensation (for signing for instance an RFA) or in trade.

You can never have enough draft picks because of the many ways in which they can be used including as collateral to move up in the draft or banked for added value at a later date via trading out of a draft for a higher round pick in the next draft or traded for veteran players you are specifically targeting.

There will be a long term agreement or Mankins will be traded.

I believe Mankins understands that there cannot be a long term deal until a new CBA is in place. If NE didnt apply the Tag, theres still no where to go to shop your resume if the 3/4 lockout comes to fruition.

NE applied the non exclusive Tag and I find it hard to fathom that the Pats are going to make Mankins the 2nd highest paid player behind Brady for the 2011 season. And, I believe that Mankins doesnt want a 1 year deal either when he could get more money with a signing bonus and salary in the first year of a new contract.

I will be surprised if Mankins does not play under the franchise tag this year and then walk next year, I just don't think we are willing to pay a guard the kind of long term money he is looking for. By franchising him we do not have to use one of our top picks on a guard now, we still might, but it isnt as pressing a need as it would have been.

Mankins will play under the franchise tag in 11 due to the screwed up schedual for free agency this year and the large number of free agents also. First of all instead of free agency starting before the draft so team start addresing needs with free agents first then relying on the draft, they will have to rely first on the draft to address needs because of the uncertanty of the new cba and shortened free agency. Second there are aproximately 500 free agents, a much larger group than normal because of the uncapped year last season. This alone will drive down the price of contracts, add in the fact that many teams will have addressed most needs in the draft first, and the shortened free agency period will give less time to negociate contract terms. This leads me to believe that it would be most benificial for Mankins to play through the tag and negociate next year with fewer free agents,longer free agency period starting before the draft, and no CBA uncertanty complicateing things. The one question I have is if he will hold out to get the Pats to agree to not franchiseing him next year to increase his barganing leverage next year. If he decides to do so I don't see the Pats caveing to the demands, not wanting to give up the draft pick compensation, and I don't see a Mankins hold out lasting into the season because the 10.5 million or so tag money is more than he has earned in his entire career

i say he gets a new deal for about 7 or 8 million a year with about 20 million up front

i say he gets a new deal for about 7 or 8 million a year with about 20 million up front

Isn't that @ what he was offered last summer, 35 mill. for five years, 18 guarenteed, following his RFA year of course.

What we know will happen...Logan will be a very rich man. I'll wager that not a single person posting here and I know that some are worth over 7 figures, are as wealthy as Logan will be once he signs.

I hope he remains a Patriot. That will make him even more wealthy than signing the tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots