PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What will a 16 game season do to Matt Cassel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swheeler23

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
You see it alot in baseball. A young pitcher comes up and his pitches are limited at the end of the season. With Cassel he has never played a 16 game season in the NFL. How will he hold up mentally and physically? I know he is in great shape but he has never gone through along season like that. I know he will not be throwing 30 times a game. Can he physically be the same qb in week 14 or 15?

You see it alot in baseball. A young pitcher comes up and his pitches are limited at the end of the season. With Cassel he has never played a 16 game season in the NFL. How will he hold up mentally and physically? I know he is in great shape but he has never gone through along season like that. I know he will not be throwing 30 times a game. Can he physically be the same qb in week 14 or 15?

IMO Cassel will be fine. We have a great training group and they will keep him in shape and the team will keep him in the right state of mind to complete the season and go on into the post season!!

GO PATS!!

honestly it's going to be week to week.

If he keeps this up he'll get a chance to start in the NFL.

I don't really see the comparison to baseball. The situation is very different, besides Cassel has been practicing with the team for 4 years. IMO he'll probably be better by week 14 than he is now.

We saw when he took his first hard hit in 9 years he came up a little gimpy, but his body will adapting to it each game. He has no mileage so he can last all season I'm sure

A sixteen game season will get him in great shape to win three more games.

Last edited:
It's also different in baseball in the fact that over a 162 game season they go out every 5 days and generally throw 100 pitches, and they throw most of them in the 80's and 90's. It puts a lot of stress on their arm, granted Cassel has to take hits, but he will be fine.

He's a 26-year-old kid who can afford to eat like a king and get the best treatments money can buy (massage, etc.). I'm not concerned one iota about his ability to hold up through a season. Let's just hope he doesn't get injured.

Physically I doubt he will have any problems since he's been with an NFL team for 4 years running the PS or backing up a starter. He's used to the practice and prep grind - Sundays are the gravey. Mentally may be another story as he's not used to the pressure of starting even including the demands on his time off the field. That will take some getting used to. He now does all the things Tommy did pre and post game with the media. But by the same token he's coming into all of this both pretty well prepared and pretty darn fresh.

Good question. I thought our bye week was a little early, but it might work out great for Matt. Gain some confidence in the first 3, then regroup on game planning.

I think stress probably wears you out more than the physical. recharging those batteries early might be a plus.

I envision tremendous growth mentally as he learns to read defenses and a decent paycheck for him to start for a team next year.

The real question we dont know about MC is if he is brittle or not. He hasnt played in enough games to know, and we will be doing all we can to not find out. Its not a good sign that he rubs he knee with his first big hit, lets hope the OL protects him as good as TB. We know he wont move in the pocket as well...

He needs the practice for the playoffs, i think it's better he gets a whole season in than to get thrown in untested in week 15.

I envision tremendous growth mentally as he learns to read defenses and a decent paycheck for him to start for a team next year.

why don't you reserve this type of chatter for December and the bye week after 17. So far he has been very good but against two inferior opponents.

Bye the way, do you think Eddie Royal has a chance to catch Jerry Rice in receiving TDs?

What will a sixteen week season do for Matt Cassel? It will put hair on his chest. It will make him into a man. Just like my spring vacation trip to the whorehouse when I was in the 6th grade. I hit the ground running and never looked back.

The real question we dont know about MC is if he is brittle or not. He hasnt played in enough games to know, and we will be doing all we can to not find out. Its not a good sign that he rubs he knee with his first big hit, lets hope the OL protects him as good as TB. We know he wont move in the pocket as well...

By all accounts he's a tough kid, has proven it to others. Read the article about him posted a few days back. Will see if I can find it.
I think this kid is gonna surprise a few people this year, first up is Joey Porter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes