PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What wide receivers are still out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Chad Jackson still available?

Yes, there are solid wide receivers available in the 2nd. The question is allocation of resources. The question is whether we should sign a free agent wide receiver or use on of our 2nds.

Getting older/slowing down: Marvin Harrison, Bobby Engram, Amani Toomer, David Patten, Joey Galloway, Ike Hilliard, Marty Booker, Dane Looker, Terry Glenn, James Thrash, Joe Horn, Eric Moulds, Eddie Kennison, Peerless Price.

RFA's: Lance Moore, Hank Baskett, Malcolm Floyd, Miles Austin, Ruvell Martin, Sam Hurd, Jeff Webb, David Clowney, Demetrius Williams.

The rest: Ronald Curry, Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey, Reggie Williams, Drew Carter, Koren Robinson, Ashley Lelie, DJ Hackett, Drew Bennett, Jerry Porter, Eric Parker, Brandon Lloyd, Darrell Jackson, Keary Colbert, Roydell Williams, Robert Ferguson, Dante Hall, Tab Perry, Cliff Russell.

I'm guessing BB is looking for a player that can block downfield, contribute to special teams, and cost about $1 million or less; maybe $1.5 mil at the most. That eliminates probably everyone in the first group, and I doubt BB wants to give up a draft pick for anyone in the second group. I saw Justin McCareins mentioned earlier; I thought he re-signed with Tennessee? Mike Furrey still intrigues me. Shaun McDonald and Koren Robinson have reurned punts and kickoffs before, which could be useful in reducing the risk of an injury to Welker or Hobbs. Ronald Curry had a couple of decent years with crappy QBs. Still a lot of choices out there - even including re-signing Kelley Washington.

Do you really think a WR who can't block downfield would be a good fit in the Pats offensive scheme? If not, do you think BB would alter the scheme a bit to accomodate a player like Galloway? I think BB would consider him on the cheap, as more of a role player, but I think some other team would take Galloway for more money.

As spacecrime states, the Pats brought him in for a workout, so obviously what they saw on tape looked like it could be a fit.

Like 99.9999% of the football viewing population, I don't watch many Bucs game with a keen eye on WR downfield blocking, so can't comment on Galloway's ability in that department.

All I know is when healthy, he is a highly effective WR and would be a great target for Brady; however, being quite banged up last year, it could be Father Time has finally caught up with him.

FWIW- just saw on local Pittsburgh station that the Steelers brought Joey Galloway in for a visit today, and they're pretty high on him. They said they'd be willing to spend a little extra money to upgrade on the loss of Nate Washington. Wouldn't be surprised if he signs today or tomorrow, kinda wanted him here but I'm not sure if he'd fit in our parameters--money wise

Anybody know what's up with Furrey? He seems to be a good fit.

I wonder if it's a money problem.

Hold on I'll ask him. Hey Chad you still available? OK, He says not until after 9 o clock hes delivering pizzas tonight.

Come on... he'd never put in the hours to learn the delivery routes.

Come on... he'd never put in the hours to learn the delivery routes.

Seriously. He has all the physical tools to be an awesome delivery guy, too.

I see WR as a need for this team. Wiffing on Chad Jackson in the draft has hurt our depth at receiver. An injury to Moss or Welker would be catastrophic for the offense. I'm a little weary of Lewis, I don't think he will be as effective a No. 3 as Gaffney. I'd definitely be interested in Furrey and I would kick the tires on Curry.

About Joey G:

Per Rotoworld
The Steelers are reportedly "convinced" that free agent Joey Galloway can still run well enough to be a useful receiver.
Pittsburgh is only expected to offer a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, but Galloway won't get much more anywhere else. Galloway has already visited the Patriots. New England would give him a better chance to start.

Now he also met with the Bills, the assumption being that TO erased his chances. If he's getting matching offers from NE and Pitt, I hope he picks NE. I realize we have Lewis now, but JG is a proven commodity and has value (maybe starting value) at Vet Min.

My hope is that Galloway or Furry is signed soon. My personal hope is Toomer if he has anything left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes