PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What wide receivers are still out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to avoid the need to draft a wide receiver as a high priority in the draft. If we don't sign another receiver, I would expect us to draft a wide receiver early.

Decent list with descriptors at NFP:

The National Football Post | Free Agents Available: Offense

WIDE RECEIVERS

Marvin Harrison (Colts) – The 13-year veteran isn’t the same downfield threat he once was, but if you needed help at the wide receiver position, why wouldn’t you float this guy an offer? He can still catch the ball be a great No.2 in some systems. Price could be an issue, but a one-year deal might prove to be a great investment for a team with an anemic offense.

D.J. Hackett (Panthers) – Although he didn’t have big numbers last season (13 catches, 181 yards), Hackett has size (6-foot-2) and youth (27). Might be some value there if you can sign him to a low deal and make him compete at the position in August.

Amani Toomer (Giants) – Another veteran guy, Toomer will be in a different uniform for the first time in his career. He lacks the top-end speed to get down the field, but he has the ability to use his size to produce in the underneath game.

Reggie Williams (Jags) – If you’re looking for pure size at the wide receiver position, check out Williams. At 6-4, he’s a great threat inside the 20-yard line and makes up for his lack of top-end speed by putting himself between the defender and the ball. Plus, he’s only 25.

Joey Galloway (Bucs) – The veteran can still fly and create mismatches on the football field. If you get creative and move him around, he can give you a chance for one or two big plays a game. Might be worth a deal.

Ronald Curry (Raiders) – Need another younger receiver in your huddle? Curry isn’t going to be a top target, but he’s athletic and has some big-play capability. He’s only 28 and might be worth a look — maybe.

Mike Furry
(Lions) – You know what you’re getting with Furry — a try hard guy who plays the game hard. Not a bad guy to have around and can be effective from the slot. Not a huge value but still some upside.

Justin McCareins (Titans) – I’ve always been a fan of this guy, who caught 30 passes last season. McCareins has only 16 touchdowns in his career and is more of a possession guy than a deep-ball threat, but he is still a nice complement to a big-play No. 1 receiver.

Bobby Engram (Seahawks) – The long-time veteran is little more than a slot receiver now. He needs to go to a team that uses three wide receiver sets and lets the quarterback run the offense. There is still value here, but I don’t think he can give you more than one season, and he has to be used sparingly.

Last edited:
I would like to avoid the need to draft a wide receiver as a high priority in the draft. If we don't sign another receiver, I would expect us to draft a wide receiver early.

we won a SB without a great WR and now we have 2. Given the state of our defense and its inability to stop anyone on third down, I don't know how you place such a value on a WR. ILB, OLB, S, CB and even DL are all higher priorities in my book.

The way I see it is we will be drafting a #5 WR with room to grow into a higher spot or we could also use Slater as the #5 WR if he figures his hands out. I don't think we need to sign another WR, but I may be the one of the few who think Lewis will be the #3 next year.

Not sure who I would pick out of that crew. McCareins would probably fit the role of #3 pretty well though. :confused2:

with the number of picks we have rd 1-3 I would like to draft a WR late 2 or 3. I think there is room for one and I think Moss is getting up there. We can make the position deeper and develope the talent without the need for him to step right in and in 2 or 3 years when Moss is older or gone he hopefully could start. no dig on Moss as I expet a few great years still but just be proactive.

We won superbowl is 2 WR and 2 TE formations and so with the signing of chirs baker i have a feeling we will going back to alot more 2WR ,2TE and 1 RB formation more.

FYI
The Jets are expected to pursue Torry Holt, according to the New York Daily News.
They may wait for Holt to be released on March 17, although a trade involving a conditional late-round pick before then is possible too. Holt would have a large number of suitors if he hit the open market. The Jets have a need opposite Jerricho Cotchery after releasing split end Laveranues Coles.

Another tidbit

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post suggests that coach **** Jauron was not in favor of the Bills' signing of Terrell Owens.
Lombardi notes that Jauron hasn't commented on T.O. and that CEO Russ Brandon is now Buffalo's top personnel man.

Too bad the Jets need someone to throw to Holt if they get him anyway.

Last edited:
with the number of picks we have rd 1-3 I would like to draft a WR late 2 or 3. I think there is room for one and I think Moss is getting up there. We can make the position deeper and develope the talent without the need for him to step right in and in 2 or 3 years when Moss is older or gone he hopefully could start. no dig on Moss as I expet a few great years still but just be proactive.

I think using a late two or three on a WR would be fine. Just remember, we nabbed Branch at # 64 didn't we?

Even though he is similiar to Welker I would take Mike Furry from that group. With that said I do not see the demand for another WR that others are seeing. I would not complain if they picked up another known Wr but still I would be fine with what we have.

I think we're done for now after getting that Philly guy. Him, Aiken and a draft choice will likely compete for the 3,4,5 order. I know they aren't great by any stretch but neither was Gaffney. With Moss, Welker and Brady doing their thing that other WR can be, well, Gaffney, and be a decent WR.

Darius Heyward Bey, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Brian Robiskie, to name a few...sorry somebody had to be the wise ass :D

Seriously though, I will go on record saying I'll be shocked if we do not use a day 1 pick on a wideout. I'll come back to this thread and eat crow.

Do any of these guys knock your sack back any more than Greg Lewis?

I'm interested in Joey G, but if Lewis hits the Jugs machine, he's Joey Jr. in the sense of yanking safeties deep down the field.

Do any of these guys knock your sack back any more than Greg Lewis?

I'm interested in Joey G, but if Lewis hits the Jugs machine, he's Joey Jr. in the sense of yanking safeties deep down the field.

Yeah, Galloway is interesting, but maybe Lewis makes him redundant...draft has a lot of interesting guys.

I like Hackett and Brandon Lloyd.

McCareins would be a step below those two. He seems to have a frustrating amount of drops.

I think you are looking for an <$2mm a year type.

Yeah, Galloway is interesting, but maybe Lewis makes him redundant...draft has a lot of interesting guys.

I'd love to see them add Galloway; I don't think the Lewis signing is redundant at all. I'd feel much more comfortable with Galloway starting opposite Moss and Lewis coming in on 4 WR sets and only having to start when Galloway misses the inevitable game due to injury.

Then draft a rookie as the #5.

I'd love to see them add Galloway; I don't think the Lewis signing is redundant at all. I'd feel much more comfortable with Galloway starting opposite Moss and Lewis coming in on 4 WR sets and only having to start when Galloway misses the inevitable game due to injury.

Then draft a rookie as the #5.

Do you really think a WR who can't block downfield would be a good fit in the Pats offensive scheme? If not, do you think BB would alter the scheme a bit to accomodate a player like Galloway? I think BB would consider him on the cheap, as more of a role player, but I think some other team would take Galloway for more money.

Do you really think a WR who can't block downfield would be a good fit in the Pats offensive scheme?
BB brought him in for a workout, so he must have thought that.

Who said Galloway can't/won't block?

The guy is certainly capable (he can bench 415+) and is not a soft player, despite some injury history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back