What We Learned From The Patriots Victory Against The Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What We Learned From The Patriots Victory Against The Raiders
By: Russ Goldman

The Patriots left Oakland on Sunday with a 31-19 victory. Read what we learned from this Patriots win. ...

No offense Russ, but I really don't understand your thinking here.

The Jets play an aggressive, attacking style and the week before they gave up long drives of 2/3/5 plays. Do you really think 34 points surrendered is great as long as the defense is "aggressive and attacking"?

"Aggressive and attacking" means McFadden lights you up. Why adopt a strategy that would maximize their greatest weapon.

Did you watch the Buffalo/Oakland game? What exactly drives everyone to think that Dline is so great? Tedy said so?

The one area that seemed bad was containing Campbell in the pocket.

The game became Brady vs Campbell. Why everyone is so shocked that Campbell played like Campbell is a source of complete bewilderment. My section in the "Black Hole" knew exactly what was happening.

They maybe different. They really wanted to win the game.

You bring up a valid point regarding McFadden and the Patriots did a nice job in containing him.

I just thought that Campbell is a QB that could have made even more mistakes if you blitzed and put pressure on him. I would have settled for picking their spots but they decided to go conventional and in the end it worked.

I guess I am waiting for the time when they will be attacking. We haven't seen it yet, and I hope we will at some point.

No offense Russ, but I really don't understand your thinking here.

The Jets play an aggressive, attacking style and the week before they gave up long drives of 2/3/5 plays. Do you really think 34 points surrendered is great as long as the defense is "aggressive and attacking"?

"Aggressive and attacking" means McFadden lights you up. Why adopt a strategy that would maximize their greatest weapon.

Did you watch the Buffalo/Oakland game? What exactly drives everyone to think that Dline is so great? Tedy said so?

The one area that seemed bad was containing Campbell in the pocket.

The game became Brady vs Campbell. Why everyone is so shocked that Campbell played like Campbell is a source of complete bewilderment. My section in the "Black Hole" knew exactly what was happening.

They maybe different. They really wanted to win the game.

I saw very little blitzing, and it seemed for the most part the Patriots defense was concentrated on stopping McFadden, which obviously made sense. However, I don’t know why you cannot get after the quarterback with sending more players on blitzes, while at the same time stopping McFadden. Instead, on passing downs it looked like the Patriots were continuing to drop players into coverage.

Will we ever see a “one gap” attacking defense this season? I thought this was the game to bring it out.

I said it last week and will repeat: I think the week to bring out an attacking defense is THIS WEEK; JESTERS WEEK.

Baltimore guys were quoted as saying that they got after Sanchize early (1st play - LOL :bricks:); and that made him play scared the rest of the day.

So i think BB is saving something up for his toughest Head-Head competitor. RR

(I dont think Jesters are our competition for AFCE this year; at beginning of year I thought they would finish 3rd - and have seen nothing so far to disprove that. JUST; I thought it would be the Fish would bump them but it looks to me like the Jills have actually displaced the jesters and will keep them in 3rd place the rest of the way.)

but is still probably only a 60-40 shot that we see attacking style this week. BB is just stuck on a bend-dont break strategy. We seem to think the bending is giving up more than the roll the dice strategy would; until he tries it IN A GAME; we won't know who is right.

You bring up a valid point regarding McFadden and the Patriots did a nice job in containing him.

I just thought that Campbell is a QB that could have made even more mistakes if you blitzed and put pressure on him. I would have settled for picking their spots but they decided to go conventional and in the end it worked.

I guess I am waiting for the time when they will be attacking. We haven't seen it yet, and I hope we will at some point.

One aspect is Mcfadden on a screen is their best play.

However, I thought they could have done a much better job keeping in the pocket. That was the problem last year in the first half in Detroit. I'll have to go back and study it but generally, coverage was pretty good.

My criteria is if the QB holds the ball for over 3 seconds and has to make a move, the secondary did it's job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes