What We Learned From The Patriots Victory Against The Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What We Learned From The Patriots Victory Against The Jets
By: Russ Goldman

The Patriots left MetLife Stadium on Sunday with a 37--16 victory against the Jets. Read what we learned from this Patriots victory. ...

A good read by Russ Goldman here. Actually I've been very pleased with the writing and insights by the Patsfans crew here this year, more so than others.

I suppose in an up and down season with so many challenges you notice that more - but I also think Ian knows that a great many fans come right to the board and weren't paying as much attention to the in-house writing - so I for one appreciate him posting the links on the board.

Lots of good insights.

Yes - you've got to give a major tip of the hat to the O-Line. Protect Brady and you're halfway to victory.

But noting on how the no-name defense keyed on taking Keller out as an option for Sanchez was probably a huge factor - and one that demonstrates that even a no-name defense that buys into Belichick's "play your role well" mentality of the whole being more than the sum of the parts is especially important.

This of course is why so many fans scratch their heads when Belichick cuts better known names and keeps young, hungry guys that are just focused on playing the role assigned to them by the coaches. We've seen it before and it works.

As someone who still thinks that much much more was expected of Ochocinco (given his salary alone) I'll also tip my hat to him and what looks like an extra effort by Brady to involve the only semblance of a deep threat on the roster.

Chad still doesn't have big numbers but I think DCs are seeing him get some added attention from Brady - and are seeing him get some separation from coverage

He doesn't have to have huge numbers to keep the defense honest - over these next games against lesser opponents I'd expect to see Brady look and throw his way more often.

That's going to pay dividends in the playoffs even if he just has a 1 or 2 deep catches a game.

The Patriots offense has gotten off track when Brady or the OC focus too much on just a few players. Even in 2007, as incredible as the offense was, once DCs figured out that it was the Randy and Wes show, they were able to limit the offense.

Truly spreading the offense - East, West, North and South - should help ensure that defenses remain honest and help keep the Patriots in every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes