PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What we know today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironwasp

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
DIVISION

The division sucks. The other three teams are somewhere between poor and desperate. Buffalo's good start has petered out. You don't lose to Detroit if you are any good at all. If we don't beat them next Sunday we can count ourselves out of the serious running. I pity anyone who had to watch the first half of the Fins/Jets game. All the offensive nous and guile of an "over the top" order in a first world war trench. Dismal. I don't care how "tough" the Dolphins always play the Pats. We have to beat that team in Miami. As for the Jets, yes they got a win, but they'll be as finished as the Fins before too many more Sundays have passed.

CONFERENCE

The Bengals aren't going to the Superbowl. That much we learned yesterday. For all the fireworks of the first three weeks they now look an almost busted flush. Cadillac Williams ran himself back into form on their defence and the offence couldn't get it going against an 0-4 team. Similarly the Ravens don't look super either. Less fizz than a three month old bottle of Coke.

Which makes the division interesting if nothing else, because the Steelers made a statement yesterday that they are not yet done. OK, so the Chiefs may as well have suited up 11 tackle bags on defence, but even so. Big Ben did what they needed him to do.

We didn't see anything much in the South as Indy and Jax are on bye, but hats off to the Titans for a good win. I voted for them to go winless but was totally wrong. They may yet have an influence on who wins this division.

The real fireworks are out west. San Diego look a well-balanced, talented team while the Broncos are tough on D. These two teams still haven't played one another and thoe games will be amongs the most fascinating of the season. One point of note from the SD game is that the 49ers were able to beat the D through the air, even if they couldn't get the run going. If we face the Bolts at some point we'll need to be a lot further down the line with the passing offence. As for the Broncos. Well I'd rather sticks needles and pins under my finger nails than watch that team, but they will be tough.

The thing most in our favour throughout the conference is that all these teams - including Indy and Jax - have to play plenty of games amongst themselves, and if we can finish at 14-2 or maybe even 13-3, we won't need to leave NE in the play-offs until the final weekend. I like our chances this season.

NFL

Seattle has more courage and poise than I thought, and the way Hasselbeck rallied his team to get back into a game they could easily have lost was impressive. As Alexander comes back they should get stronger. I see our draft pick coming somewhere between 29 and 31 because it will be this team the Bears need to beat to reach Miami.

New Orleans continues to shock. I thought the Eagles had their number when they put 21 points unanswered on them, but back the Saints came. How Nick Saban must wish he'd spent the off-season whispering sweet nothings in Drew Brees ear rather than have his head turned by Daunte. But, I still don't see them beating the top two. The Eagles disappointed me. For the second time in a few weeks they fluffed an opportunity to win a tight game; this time they got killed by having 12 players on the field at a crucial moment in Brees last drive. Dumb and dumber.

The Eagles and the Giants are decent teams, and they'll be in there at the play-offs making the Seahawks and Bears work for their living. But they won't quite be good enough.

As for the 'Skins, we need to come up with a quick plan to persuade Snyder to swap one of his first rounders for our one, because they'll be picking a lot earlier. That pre-season blow-out, contrary to received wisdom, actually had the 'Skins' number. They suck.

I watched Seattle play and they are horrid one of the worst olines in the league IMO. Honestly I dont see them making any waves this year in the NFC playoffs. Bears Panthers are the upper crust of the NFC.

Dagg said:
I watched Seattle play and they are horrid one of the worst olines in the league IMO. Honestly I dont see them making any waves this year in the NFC playoffs. Bears Panthers are the upper crust of the NFC.
As things stand, the Seahawks will struggle in the playoffs basd on their OL and defense. Easy schedule, though, should get them a good regular season game.

Looks like the byes in the AFC should be between NE, Indy, Jax, Den, SD. We can help ourselves a lot with Jax and Indy as we play them later. Den, SD, we may end up hoping one sweeps the other, possible giving the sweeper the #1 seed but knocking down the sweepee below us. Of course, if NE has a really good regular season a split could get us the #1. We need the Patriots to start playing a little better, though, for all that to matter.

Dagg said:

I didn't have access to this game yesterday, so I will bow to your judgment. All I would say is that the O-Line was good enough to allow Hasselbeck to pass for 268 yards and 2 Tds and the Seahawks ran for 125 plus yards without their featured back. Yes, Hasselbeck went down a few times, but all in all it wasn't oo shabby against a decent team.

I meant to mention the Panthers as the fast-awakening sleepers in the NFC; they wil have an influence I think. (My boss always tells me I need to slow down and check work. D'oh!)

If the Rams had any kind of a secondary they would have beaten the Seahawks, in there current state I cant see them beating upper tier NFC teams.

I guess the evidence would be the Bears game. They got torched by grossman just like they did this week against bulger. the difference was Hassleback torched the rams secondary but against the Bears secondary couldnt do a thing.

we know that the Bolts are in this moment the best Afc team

the Steelers are not yet dead too

Ravens and Bengals are going down

Denver not bad

i'm not yet 'so sure' about Indy and Jax...

in the NFC the best imho are: Chi, Car and Nyg - all 3 better then Sea (my opinion)

and our Patriots are surely 'in the mix' - Go Pats !!!

Last edited:
ironwasp said:
One point of note from the SD game is that the 49ers were able to beat the D through the air, even if they couldn't get the run going. If we face the Bolts at some point we'll need to be a lot further down the line with the passing offence.

That was the thing about them last year too. If you can keep your qb upright, he can have a field day with their secondary. Brady did this for a while in the game last year but we couldn't stop their passing attack to the TE.

ironwasp said:
DIVISION

The division sucks.

Enough said. The only caveat in playing each of them from here on out is we have to stay focused and play consistent fundamantal football.

CONFERENCE

The Bengals aren't going to the Superbowl. That much we learned yesterday. For all the fireworks of the first three weeks they now look an almost busted flush. Cadillac Williams ran himself back into form on their defence and the offence couldn't get it going against an 0-4 team. Similarly the Ravens don't look super either. Less fizz than a three month old bottle of Coke.

Which makes the division interesting if nothing else, because the Steelers made a statement yesterday that they are not yet done. OK, so the Chiefs may as well have suited up 11 tackle bags on defence, but even so. Big Ben did what they needed him to do.

We didn't see anything much in the South as Indy and Jax are on bye, but hats off to the Titans for a good win. I voted for them to go winless but was totally wrong. They may yet have an influence on who wins this division.

The real fireworks are out west. San Diego look a well-balanced, talented team while the Broncos are tough on D. These two teams still haven't played one another and thoe games will be amongs the most fascinating of the season. One point of note from the SD game is that the 49ers were able to beat the D through the air, even if they couldn't get the run going. If we face the Bolts at some point we'll need to be a lot further down the line with the passing offence. As for the Broncos. Well I'd rather sticks needles and pins under my finger nails than watch that team, but they will be tough.

The thing most in our favour throughout the conference is that all these teams - including Indy and Jax - have to play plenty of games amongst themselves, and if we can finish at 14-2 or maybe even 13-3, we won't need to leave NE in the play-offs until the final weekend. I like our chances this season.

Immaturity and arrogance are a *****. Who dey?

Hopefully our beloved Steelers will roar back to take that division at 10-6, ***** slap some of our enemies in the process, and take out Denver again on their way here for their AFCC exit.

Indy is the most vulnerable and flawed 5-0 I've ever seen them. The degree of difficulty in their schedule goes up exponentially over the next 11 weeks with 7 tough matchups. JAX just doesn't scare me, as long as Byron is the franchise. But again, hope they are good enough to do some damage along the way.

In SD Marty will find a way to foil them, and the league will catch up with Rivers as the season progresses. But if they could hold it together long enough for once to hang 2 L's on Denver that would be a blessing since Denver's remaining schedule is easier than anyone's.

NFL

Seattle has more courage and poise than I thought, and the way Hasselbeck rallied his team to get back into a game they could easily have lost was impressive. As Alexander comes back they should get stronger. I see our draft pick coming somewhere between 29 and 31 because it will be this team the Bears need to beat to reach Miami.

New Orleans continues to shock. I thought the Eagles had their number when they put 21 points unanswered on them, but back the Saints came. How Nick Saban must wish he'd spent the off-season whispering sweet nothings in Drew Brees ear rather than have his head turned by Daunte. But, I still don't see them beating the top two. The Eagles disappointed me. For the second time in a few weeks they fluffed an opportunity to win a tight game; this time they got killed by having 12 players on the field at a crucial moment in Brees last drive. Dumb and dumber.

The Eagles and the Giants are decent teams, and they'll be in there at the play-offs making the Seahawks and Bears work for their living. But they won't quite be good enough.

As for the 'Skins, we need to come up with a quick plan to persuade Snyder to swap one of his first rounders for our one, because they'll be picking a lot earlier. That pre-season blow-out, contrary to received wisdom, actually had the 'Skins' number. They suck.

Seattle is playing with fire - they let the Rams jump them but good and needed a FG against a D my 92 year old mother could have scored against. Holmgren looked like his head was going to implode. Good thing they were indoors. Sometimes desperate teams win, but that desperation can lead to bad habits. Remember, Hasselbeck was raised by Favre and it took Holmgrem 3 years to beat that flying by the seat of your pants mentality out of him. Nothing really worthwhile over the long haul ever comes out of resorting to the gunslinger mentality. Same could be said about Carolina and Jake, who without Steve are a costly mistakes through the air prone .500 team.

Sean Payton listened to Tuna's advice, Saban thought he was smarter. Too bad Tuna didn't jump on Brees himself. Good think Baltimore didn't. I think NO could go undefeated at home on emotion, and they have 2 road wins already so one more could give them enough to get a piece of HFA and with that who knows...

The Eagles are back to the TO less Eagles - not good enough when the going gets tough because they refuse to commit to a solid running game and persist in relying on McChoke and a blitz happy DC in a division where everyone has weapons. The Giants are only viable if they can get ahead by running the ball with Barber. Eli is a liability except in garbage time or against struggling opponents. The 'Skins have too many coaches and no HC except in name, too many stars and no cohesive team, a hit or miss aging JAG QB and an over rated D. The NFCE is a division full of marquee names and flawed teams. They will beat the snot out of each other and that's where it will end.

The Bears are the class of the NFC but they haven't been seriously tested just yet.

All in all, things look better here and worse elsewhere than some here would have you believe. We are a work in progress by virtue of all the late additions and this coaching staff does have a consistent track record of building through the regular season and fielding a better team when the post season starts than they fielded in the first month of the season. As long as that seasonal model holds true to form and the injury bug doesn't bite us unduely our fate should be entirely up to us. We haven't scratched the surface on playing our best football yet and sit at 4-1 with a strangle hold on our division. I'll take that any October day.

NEM said:
I think it's still a little too early for that kind of speculation.

While Buffalo did lose to Detroit yesterday, they are at home against us next Sunday, and at home , teams play far differently than they do on the road.

We need to hit them early and make their offense switch tactics and to take the crowd out of the game.

We are a better team but in the NFL on any given Sunday, things happen.

We should have all our offensive weapons back....and available...no excuse for not piling up the points on Sunday in Buffalo.

Why do we have to pile up the points?

It would be nice to see a blow out but I'll take any kind of a win on another teams homefield.

Not trying to be nit picky with you on this. There is no such thing as an ugly win on another teams field. Just trying to bring your expectations in line so if we win by a field goal you are not disappointed.

I don't expect Buffalo to do to us what they did in the first game. But, the only way I'm going to be disappointed is if we don't beat them.

1. The Bears are getting the hype, but the best D might really be in Denver. The Denver D truly carries that team. Solid DL, excellent LBs and great DBs in which Lynch and Bailey are rubbing off on the others.

2. Shawne Merriman got the initial hype, but the Chargers' other OLB Sean Philips might be better. He was a menace vs. Pittsburgh last week and would have had 5 sacks vs. SF if it wasn't for Alex Smith's ability to run.

3. Cincy is a paper tiger.

4. Philly's secondary used to be one of the league's best. What happened to them?

5. The only way to measure the Pats is how they do vs. teams outside the division. The AFCE is officially awful outside of NE.

6. Bledsoe continues to light up the sad sacks, then become an INT machine vs. the good teams. I can't wait to hear the HOF arguments when his name comes up.

7. I'm surprised it took this long for defenses to figure out the Falcons.

8. Best coaching job nobody's paying attention to: Jeff Fischer has the Titans playing tough. They gave Indy fits *in Indy* last week and finally won in Washington this week. That team is awful on paper and as long as that front office is in charge, isn't going to get much better.

9. Julius Peppers continues to show why he was the #2 pick in 2002. He's a monster.

10. Double-cover Steve Smith. Always.

Regards,
Chris

Looking at the race for homefield (what do you mean it's too early, it's never too early) I have been back through everyone's schedules in the AFC, and there is no doubt in my mind that these teams could beat each other up and let us through if we play tough and lose a maximum of 1/2 more games.

(These are the tough games only, and the teams are in the order I perceive their threat to us)

San Diego: At Cincinnati; At Denver; Denver; At Seattle

Denver: Indianapolis; At Pittsburgh; San Diego; Seattle; At San Diego; Cincinnati

Indianapolis: At Denver; At NE; At Dallas; Philadelphia; At Tennessee; At Jacksonville

Baltimore: Cincinnati; Pittsburgh; At Cincinnati; Atlanta; At Pittsburgh;
Cincinnati: Carolina; Atlanta; At Baltimore; San Diego; At New Orleans; Baltimore; At Indianapolis; At Denver; Pittsburgh

ironwasp said:
Looking at the race for homefield (what do you mean it's too early, it's never too early) I have been back through everyone's schedules in the AFC, and there is no doubt in my mind that these teams could beat each other up and let us through if we play tough and lose a maximum of 1/2 more games.

(These are the tough games only, and the teams are in the order I perceive their threat to us)

San Diego: At Cincinnati; At Denver; Denver; At Seattle

Denver: Indianapolis; At Pittsburgh; San Diego; Seattle; At San Diego; Cincinnati

Indianapolis: At Denver; At NE; At Dallas; Philadelphia; At Tennessee; At Jacksonville

Baltimore: Cincinnati; Pittsburgh; At Cincinnati; Atlanta; At Pittsburgh;
Cincinnati: Carolina; Atlanta; At Baltimore; San Diego; At New Orleans; Baltimore; At Indianapolis; At Denver; Pittsburgh

i don't dislike the Bengals but they could be in trouble after the loss @ TB and looking the calendar...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes