PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What we could do to land Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Sure the compensation is going to be expensive for VJ, but think about it, giving SD a #1 and a #2 in (2012) is workable for us.

Let's assume our #1 in 2011 is in the (#22-26) range, Oakland's projected pick is assumed (#5-8).

Offer SD our #1 (22-26), grab VJ that would allow us to strictly focus on a pass rusher and RB with the next two picks, instead of WR, then, and I know a trade down isn't popular around here, deal the Raider pick down into the the #16-26 range and pick up and extra #2, thus giving us 3 - #2's.

We land VJax AND go into April with (R1 #16-26), (3-#2's), (2-#3's), (2-#4's). We have another draft day bonanza AND SUIT UP #83, ink him long term and let him and TB bring home some more hardware......

This is doable!

The fact that he's one more incident away from a one-year suspension scares me off from wanting to get him.

Trade a #1 pick for a guy who is looking a a year suspension for his next screw up, and THEN sign him to a big money long term deal, that's your plan??

Not going to happen......

Jackson can be had for a lot less than a #1 pick, if Randy Moss goes for a #3, and he is already under contract (and not facing a suspension) the price for Jackson should be around the same....

absolutely NOT,

AJ smith will yield on this one,

u do NOT give up more for jackson than the phins gave up for Marshall, 2 2nds is the MOST you give up, for ANY wr

especially with the chance they will not succeed in this system

furthermore, they both had off the field issues, but VJax is closer to that year suspension than marshall is/was, therefore his compensation should be less

+ there should be less compensation b/c he will not play for almost half a season, and did not have a offseason with us

i love VJax, and believe hes a top 5 wr in this league, but the most i would give up is a 2nd, and a 4th, maybe 2nd and 3rd

Let's trade the two fourth rounders for a third third. Then trade the two seconds back for more fourths. Package one of the new seconds with a fourth and third for a high first in which we swap with Jacksonville for an estimated 8-13 pick that we can use to threaten the Bills with to trade back again for another third. At this point we bait the Lions with the two seconds for Calvin Johnson but also making sure they thrown in a fifth so we can package that with a third for another second. Then we trade all the crappy players on our team to the Rams since they suck and need guys for another first, because if you heap up enough garbage players it's worth a lot. That should put us in the estimated range of 15-20 in the first along with 32. We pick Ingram with the first pick and trade the 32 along with two seconds to whoever is in the top five for the best pass rusher.

CRAZY idea. No thanks.

Sure the compensation is going to be expensive for VJ, but think about it, giving SD a #1 and a #2 in (2012) is workable for us.

Let's assume our #1 in 2011 is in the (#22-26) range, Oakland's projected pick is assumed (#5-8).

Offer SD our #1 (22-26), grab VJ that would allow us to strictly focus on a pass rusher and RB with the next two picks, instead of WR, then, and I know a trade down isn't popular around here, deal the Raider pick down into the the #16-26 range and pick up and extra #2, thus giving us 3 - #2's.

We land VJax AND go into April with (R1 #16-26), (3-#2's), (2-#3's), (2-#4's). We have another draft day bonanza AND SUIT UP #83, ink him long term and let him and TB bring home some more hardware......

This is doable!

I think Jackson is a beast but a #1, and a #2 is too much for a guy who is one problem away from a ban and won't play until week 7. Especially because we would have to re-up him before we could pay Welker.

We can't trade for him unless we work out a long term deal beforehand and even then I would not give up more than 2 seconds.

If Santonio Holmes is worth a 5th, there simply is no way in hell V Jax would be worth a 1st and a 2nd round pick. That's just lunacy.

This is doable!

Have you not been paying attention to how the Patriots have operated over the last decade.

Too much to give up for Jackson, who's had one elite year and is one mistake away from a year long suspension.

On top of that, if we get a top 10 pick from the Raiders, I want us to use it (which history says we typically do). Considering we need assets for both lines, there are usually difference makers at that position in the top 10.

If Santonio Holmes is worth a 5th, there simply is no way in hell V Jax would be worth a 1st and a 2nd round pick. That's just lunacy.

I agree, it makes me hate AJ smith even more. VJ is great but apparently is a) one incedent away from a year long suspension and B) threatening to hold out until week 10. What kind of ******* asks for a 1 and a 2 for a player that could have been signed on an offersheet for a 1 and a 3. AJ can go screw himself.

I still want Vjax though and I would give up a 2 this year and a 2 next.

Repeat after me

WE DO NOT WANT OR NEED VINCENT JACKSON

We go with what we have, maybe we bring a vet like Branch or an offcast from somewhere else

We have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds next year. That should net us stud or very good DE, OLB, RB, WR and OT. We can also go aggressive in FA

2935d1215644424-epic-fail-thread-finefail.jpg

Let's just wait and sign him as a free agent this spring. We don't have to give up anything other than straight cash homey. I doubt we would even sign him then. Because of the off-field incidents.

The Riddler strikes again, wheres Batman when you need him :confused:

Last edited:
Initial take.. Lets go get Jackson..

But upon further review

1. Will take more in trade to get him compared to Brandon Marshal? No thanks

2. 1 Strike away from 1 year suspension - no thanks

3. Never has caught double digit touch downs

4. Never broke 1200 yds in one season

He's a good player but considering Marshal, Moss and Boldin are going for much less, PASS!

The only receiver worthy of serious picks is Fitzgerald.

My guess is Branch is still the tartget and Jackson is being discussed because Seattle is still interested.

The only receiver worthy of serious picks is Fitzgerald.

My guess is Branch is still the tartget and Jackson is being discussed because Seattle is still interested.

Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are better.

Initial take.. Lets go get Jackson..

But upon further review

1. Will take more in trade to get him compared to Brandon Marshal? No thanks

2. 1 Strike away from 1 year suspension - no thanks

3. Never has caught double digit touch downs

4. Never broke 1200 yds in one season

He's a good player but considering Marshal, Moss and Boldin are going for much less, PASS!

Jackson is better than either Boldin or Marshal. Football Outsiders has had him ranked #2 in DYAR last year and 2 in DVOA (boldin 38 in dyar, 27 in DVOA, Marshall 24 and 25, Moss 5 and 6).

In 2008, he was 4 and 2. Boldin was 9 and 10, Marshall was 42 and 58.

He's clearly elite. The only WRs I'd put in the same group as him are Andre Johnson, Larry Fitz, Megatron, and maybe, if he comes back and plays well, S. Rice.

His talent is definitely not an issue. What is an issue is paying lots of draft picks for a guy on a big contract (and he won't sign his tender unless he gets a big deal) and whose one incident away from a year suspension.

Last edited:
The fact that he's one more incident away from a one-year suspension scares me off from wanting to get him.

Exactly. I trust in BB as a good motivator but this guy is ... not really smart and focused.

I think that the Chargers ll take Panthers 2nd . Its like a later 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back