What was our logic behind NOT signing Az-Zahir Hakim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
The guy goes 5-10, 185...

9 years of NFL experience...

Would have been a perfect replacement for Branch until Chad Jackson finally gets his lazy @$$ out of the trainer's tub!

Now the Lions have grabbed him! Another "too late" in what is becoming an alarming trend of poor personnel moves by our beloved Pats!

ADPF

"our" logic was simply...

We don't run the team!

How do you know how he fits into the Offensive system?

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

Would have been a perfect replacement for Branch until Chad Jackson finally gets his lazy @$$ out of the trainer's tub!

Now the Lions have grabbed him! Another "too late" in what is becoming an alarming trend of poor personnel moves by our beloved Pats!

ADPF

I know. It is too bad that NE missed out on a guy that was only good when he had two of the 5-6 best WRs in the game playing on the team with him.

It really is a shame. :enranged:

Last edited:
i think calling him a perfect replacement for Branch is a stretch...his numbers last year were similar to Troy Browns.

I think BB and Pioli want to see what they have in Jackson and Gabriel before making any moves.

Oswlek said:
I know. It is too bad that NE missed out on a guy that was only good when he had two of the 5-6 best WRs in the game playing on the team with him.

It really is a shame. :enranged:

Nailed it! Also see Proehl, Ricky.

A) He simply isn't very good.
B) There was 0% chance he was signing with anyone else when Martz came calling.

Is this a joke?

Obviously, BB thought the wr currently on the team were better then Az or any of the other wr out there. The last acquisition reportedly hasn't played because he hasn't adapted to our system. Its' also not known if Jackson is indeed healthy and also hasn't "gotten" the playbook. You would want to add another wideout to this category and cut who?

Probably the same logic as every other team in the NFL not signing Az Hakim until now.

He's only Lion good...not Patriot good

The logic is that we don't have a talent problem at WR, we have a "not knowing the offense completely" problem at WR. Patience.

DarMan said:
He's only Lion good...not Patriot good

This post is wonderful. Time for a little projection everyone. Imagine for a moment if you will, that you are.....

Detroit Lions fans.

Do you realize that this team just signed a garbage WR because they have not one, but two WR busts that were picked in the top 10 in the past 4 years! One of which was the #2 pick! Not only that, but they completely wiffed on the #3 pick 5 years ago. So that means that they had a run of 1 for 4 in top 10 picks from 2002 to 2005.

During this same time, NE has found good to great players with every first round pick even though they drafted 21, 13, 21, 32, and 32. Remember, we did absolutely nothing to cause the good fortune that we have now. I for one am going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited:
Them not bringing anbody in could also mean they think Willie Andrews at WR could go somewhere. He continues to practice in a white, offensive jersey. I think if they didn't think the move was going to pay off they wouldn't be doing it. It is one thing to try different things during Training Camp than during the regular season. Coaches don't want to waste what little time they have.

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:

ADPF
ummm... howbout... he sucks?

Oswlek said:
This post is wonderful. Time for a little projection everyone. Imagine for a moment if you will, that you are.....

Detroit Lions fans.

Do you realize that this team just signed a garbage WR because they have not one, but two WR busts that were picked in the top 10 in the past 4 years! One of which was the #2 pick! Not only that, but they completely wiffed on the #3 pick 5 years ago. So that means that they had a run of 1 for 4 in top 10 picks from 2002 to 2005.

During this same time, NE has found good to great players with every first round pick even though they drafted 21, 13, 21, 32, and 32. Remember, we did absolutely nothing to cause the good fortune that we have now. I for one am going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Great post, wasn't even thinking about them drafting the WR's! WOW

Armen Da Pats Fan said:

ADPF
How many retreads do you want on the team?

Today the Superbowl hopes of the Patriots faded when they missed out on signing Az-Zahir Hakim

Not saying the guy has zero talent but he shined as a #3 WR behind one of the best WR duos ever. Since then he's had injury problems and hasn't done much after being "upgraded" to a larger role.

And he's a perfect replacement for Branch? Why, because they're the same size?

There is a lot of names out there available at WR that haven't been picked up yet. Admittedly, at least while Jackson and Gabriel are out, we have one of the weakest WR positions in the league. However, look at every roster in the NFL right now and you will find a lot of WRs that you have never heard of and/or have done nothing in the NFL.

What was the logic behind those teams not signing Hakim?

Jackson would have more success trying to play with a bum knee than a torn hamstring. Take a look back at the number of players already "out for the season" with hamstrings. The fact that they're taking their time with it and there is at the end of the tunnel should be viewed at least somewhat positively and less as laziness. It makes trying to walk feel like you have to take a burning dump that you can't hold in, forget trying to run. As with Gabriel, he is essentially unknown to most in the NE area, but there is no reason the two of them cannot at least replace any production Branch felt little motivation to give.

Last edited:
Damn!

There's some serious anti-Hakim sentiment on this board (and I must admit, some good points, as well!)...

But, understand, I wasn't suggesting he'd be the "be all, end all", just saying he would have been a good replacement for Branch until Jackson / Gabriel can get out of the tub and learn the offense...

Brady obviously needs targets and if the Pats were savvy about the impending Deion situation (as I believe they were), then I am confused as to why they didn't make a heavier push to keep the likes of Andre Davis or Tim Dwight, at least?

Davis seemed to be just a little more exposure away from really becoming a deep threat for Brady...

I know in the long run our WR situation will be fine this season once we ramp up Jackson and Gabriel, but still, let's not say Hakim "sucks". I don't believe he is THE ANSWER. I actually think that will eventually turn out to be Jackson, but Hakim doesn't "suck".

The guy has speed and can run decent routes and has acceptable numbers over his career (see below).

ADPF

Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
1998 STL 9 20 247 12.4 22 1 15 0 0
1999 STL 15 36 677 18.8 75 8 25 0 0
2000 STL 16 53 734 13.8 80 4 32 2 1
2001 STL 16 39 374 9.6 33 3 21 2 1
2002 DET 10 37 541 14.6 64 3 25 0 0
2003 DET 14 49 449 9.2 28 4 27 2 1
2004 DET 12 31 533 17.2 39 3 24 0 0
2005 NOR 12 34 489 14.4 42 2 25 0 0
Career 104 299 4044 13.5 80 28 194 6 3

Last edited:
zarakotas5 said:
Jackson would have more success trying to play with a bum knee than a torn hamstring. Take a look back at the number of players already "out for the season" with hamstrings. The fact that they're taking their time with it and there is at the end of the tunnel should be viewed at least somewhat positively and less as laziness. It makes trying to walk feel like you have to take a burning dump that you can't hold in, forget trying to run. As with Gabriel, he is essentially unknown to most in the NE area, but there is no reason the two of them cannot at least replace any production Branch felt little motivation to give.

I am sure they are doing the right thing with Jackson's hammy.

However, if you've read this board for for any length of time, you'd know that one of my defects of character is that I have an extremely low tolerance for two things:

1) NFL players who run out the "I gotta feed my family" card...
2) NFL players that stay injured too long with seemingly lesser injuries like strains, pulls, hammys and quads...

I have some tolerance work to do in this area, I know...

My therapist and I are on it...

ADPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back