PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What vet OL can signed and help fire up this OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Mawae??? He could have been and some thought he was all but here and..signed by the Titans.
Fabini????...He may have even been better..younger and signed..by Dallas...(Note the 3 teams he was rumored to be going to Buff, TB, NE..nowhere in site..)
Who is left?? I am not talking about just an OL..to sign, but a vet, a tackle, one who is nasty..who can be a leader and help this line come together..and who is a Patriot type player?? Runyan?? Who?? That is really what this OL needs....There are many young players here and I think a real VET precence will just solidify the group.. Any thoughts as to who is left to fill the bill??

Last edited:
Its finished already!

Pats726 said:
Mawae??? He could have been and some thought he was all but here and..signed by the Titans.
Fabini????...He may have even been better..younger and signed..by Dallas...(Note the 3 teams he was rumored to be going to Buff, TB, NE..nowhere in site..)
Who is left?? I am not talking about just an OL..to sign, but a vet, a tackle, one who is nasty..who can be a leader and help this line come together..and who is a Patriot type player?? Runyan?? Who?? That is really what this OL needs....There are many young players here and I think a real VET precence will just solidify the group.. Any thoughts as to who is left to fill the bill??

I don't want anybody! The O-line re-build isfinished already, although myopic viewers may not see it yet.

I really don't think the o-line needs any firing up. Getting Light and Koppen back is almost like getting 2 players right on the brink of probowl status inserted right back in the lineup. Mankins and Kaczir now having a season behind them helps out too. However adding Mawae could could help quite a bit.

sign runyan to a 2 year deal. draft davin joseph from oklahoma (T/G) in college

just my thoughts.

AzPatsFan said:
I don't want anybody! The O-line re-build isfinished already, although myopic viewers may not see it yet.
I had a magnifying lense around here somewhere..... :cool:

I like our O-line just the way it is. Light and Koppen coming back, Mankins and Kaczur with a year experience, Gorin is OK at RT, resign Neal. A Runyun would be nice but definately draft a swing O-lineman mid draft.... say 4th round or 5th. No worries unless a major injury occurs. :rocker:

You want Neal as your free agent signing and a 4th or 5th round draft choice. You make two additions, same as everyone else.

I would prefer Runyon and at least a third. I would prefer trading up for Justice and then have four OL's for the future. For security, we also need to extend Koppen or Hochstein as the 5th.

Feep_FLA said:
I like our O-line just the way it is. Light and Koppen coming back, Mankins and Kaczur with a year experience, Gorin is OK at RT, resign Neal. A Runyun would be nice but definately draft a swing O-lineman mid draft.... say 4th round or 5th. No worries unless a major injury occurs. :rocker:

Our Oline has always been OK. And that's with a lot of extra support. But there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be a lot better than OK. Better than OK might save Brady's life one of these days. Could even extend Dillon's career as a productive RB or allow the team to replace him with a less expensive option going forward. Ditto WR's. Not to mention that whole freeing up the TE's to run routes concept.

The beauty of Brady is he doesn't need the TO's or Harrison's of the league to be effective. But he needs to be upright and not playing through undisclosed injuries all the freakin' time. He can find the open receiver if one is out there and not shoring up the line. He can get it done with chewing gum and tape but cumulative damage is liable to catch up to him eventually and shorten his career, and that would be unfortunate - not to mention short sighted.

The 2005 OL was really bad for the patriots. Another year or two of that quality and Brady would need to retire; he'd be so beat up. Brady played hurt for half the year. The key to a healthy Brady is a healthy and improved OL and at least one healthy running back.

I like this OL as well..but don't you think a vet of 7-8 years would help?? I think it would..just my opinion....especially when you have a group of young players..a vet can stabilize and help with chemistry ala Harrison on the DBs.

Pats726 said:
I like this OL as well..but don't you think a vet of 7-8 years would help?? I think it would..just my opinion....especially when you have a group of young players..a vet can stabilize and help with chemistry ala Harrison on the DBs.

but didn't someone in the organization say "we have to build a fortress around brady" last month? which would imply they aim to improve the line (probably in the draft)

ayjackson said:
but didn't someone in the organization say "we have to build a fortress around brady" last month? which would imply they aim to improve the line (probably in the draft)
If that is the case..I would think a vet would do the trick..no doubt they will bring a few more linemen in..my guess is 3-4...

Pats726 said:

This is Light's 6th year and Ashworth's (if re-signed) 5th year. It's Koppen's 4th year and Gorin's 5th year. It will also be Neal's 5th year and Hochstein's 6th year.

Last edited:
Just BTW, I hope we sign Runyan. The OT's are starting to move up on the mocks. We once hoped for Justice to be there or there for minor trade up. Now he looks like a top 10 pick (two OT;s in the top ten). And one more might be gone before 21. The TE's are available though :)

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Just BTW, I hope we sign Runyan. The OT's are starting to move up on the mocks. We once hoped for Justice to be there or there for minor trade up. Now he looks like a top 10 pick (two OT;s in the top ten). And one more might be gone before 21. The TE's are available though :)
Justice was suspended for one year for pointing a "toy" gun at the driver of another car in what was "claimed" to be a "prank" on a "friend" but became a case of "mistaken identity". :rolleyes:

Justice is also knocked for taking plays off.

An athletic kid, but not one who is going to make my draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back