PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What vet do we trade a pick for this year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbiologist

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
With all the rookies making the team last year and all the picks this year most of us cant see all the picks making the team. Draft day picks for vets has been a standard for this team(Moss, Starks,Dillon,etc), so who do you think BB has his eye on and why? I think the positioning of the top picks will allow Crabtree to fall to Cincy and they take him, making 85 available for trade. This might push Galloway to the bench(or off the team) but it just might be possible.

With all the rookies making the team last year and all the picks this year most of us cant see all the picks making the team. Draft day picks for vets has been a standard for this team(Moss, Starks,Dillon,etc), so who do you think BB has his eye on and why? I think the positioning of the top picks will allow Crabtree to fall to Cincy and they take him, making 85 available for trade. This might push Galloway to the bench(or off the team) but it just might be possible.

Yeah, Chad Johnson might actually be a possibility. I know he would love to play for Belichick, and the two have a mutual respect.

The other possibility of course, dare I say it, Julius Peppers.

Other than that, I still think the Patriots will move picks. But not for veterans, rather to move up or net 2010 picks.

We aren't trading for Chad Johnson. I think we'll use all our picks or trade some for future picks, we signed more than enough veterans this offseason, we need some youth infusement.

Last edited:
Greg Lewis!

Seriously though, I'd have said Ocho Cinco, but the signing of Galloway might preclude that. Plus, if the stupid Bengals wouldn't trade him last year for a first and then some to the Redskins, can't imagine they'll deal him this year now that they are sans TJ Housh.

Maybe a LB or S? Not sure what ones would be a good fit though.

Did you mean besides Julius peppers? :) :D

Oopsies! I let the cat out of the bag! :singing::p

Last edited:
Everyone is on the Peppers bandwagon i jsut don't see it he is too young to want to care about a ring as much as someone like moss or dillon did and to stubborn to be reigned in by the vets on this team and Thrid all te other guys you mention came here on the cheap Peppers would not.
I wouldn't complain if we got him but I am not expecting it.

I would trade for Chad Johnson in a minute and think with Moss he would get his act together with us. This would make the passing game great and other than OL we can go all defense in the draft.
Sounds to good to happen.

I would trade for Chad Johnson in a minute and think with Moss he would get his act together with us. This would make the passing game great and other than OL we can go all defense in the draft.
We have Moss, Welker and Galloway. Enough already with the WR.

The positions I see the Pats needing help in are:

Safety, OLB, ILB, NT, FB, OT, OG

What veterans are out there that the Pats would consider trading for? And are there any viable or better options via the draft or via free agency?

The following list are the players that are still available according to NFL.COM (so any mistakes, please offer corrections). They are not necessarily who I think the Pats should sign. Also, I did not include any RFAs.

Surprisingly, there are still some big names out there. But there are also some well known names that would have to pass a physical before they could be signed and they'd be injuries waiting to happen.

FB:

Darian Barnes , Justin Griffith, Dan Kreider, Lorenzo Neal, Terrelle Smith

Safeties:
FS - Will Allen, FS - Mike Brown, SS - Jon Busingm, S - Oliver Celestin, SS - Corey Chavous, SS - Keith Davis, FS - Will Demps, FS - Will Doughty, FS - Abram Elam (surprised he's still available), S - Matt Giordano, S - Mike Greene , SS - Rodney Harrison, SS - Marquand Manuel, FS - Marlon McCree, SS - Brandon McGowan, SS - Lawyer Milloy, SS - Darren Sharper , SS - Dwight Smith, SS - Roy Williams,

LBs:
LB - Monty Beisel, LB - Rocky Boiman, OLB - Derrick Brooks, LB - Khary Campbell, LB - Anthony Cannon, LB - Vincenzo Ciurciu, OLB - Rosie Colvin, OLB - Angelo Crowell, LB - Donte' Curry, LB - Keyaron Fox, LB - Roderick Green , OLB - Morlon Greenwood, LB- Kris Griffin, LB - Tyjuan Hagler, LB - Marques Harris, LB - Napolean Harris, LB - Cato June, LB - Freddy Keiaho, LB - Lance Laury, LB - Teddy Lehman , MLB - Paris Lenon, LB - D.D. Lewis, LB - Wesley Mallard, LB - Darrel McClover, LB - Robert McCune, OLB - Willie McGinest, OLB - Ryan Nece, LB - Shantee Orr, LB- Mathew Sinclair, ILB - Derek Smith, LB - Gary Stills, LB - Dontarrius Thomas, ILB - Zach Thomas, OLB - Marcus Washington, MLB - Nate Webster, OLB - Sam Williams

OT:
OT - Jeremy Bridges, OT - Marc Columbo, OT - Anthony Davis, OT - George Foster, OT - Wayne Gandy, OT - Adam Goldberg, OT - Brandon Gorin, OT - Kwame Harris, OT - Marcus Johnson , OT - Fred Miller, OT - Orlando Pace, OT - Erik Penn, OT - Rob Pettiti, OT - Jon Runyan, OT - Ephram Salaam, OT - Chad Slaughter, OT - Marvel Smith, OT - Barrty Stokes, OT - Zach Streife, OT - Mark Tauscher, OT - Jason Whittle

OG: Richie Incognito,
James Blair, Nick Cole, Harvey Dahl, Jahri Evans, Jason Fabini, Lennie Friedman, Chris Gray, Adrian Jones, Pete Kendall, Matt Lehr, Seth McKinney, Chris Naeole, Cory Procter, Grey Reugamer

Last edited:
We have Moss, Welker and Galloway. Enough already with the WR.

Galloway is one and done so why not look at WR's this year.

Galloway is one and done so why not look at WR's this year.

Because they might only have one developmental spot for a receiver and it would be better used on a draft pick that can develop without a lot of pressure.

Because they might only have one developmental spot for a receiver and it would be better used on a draft pick that can develop without a lot of pressure.

Aaron Kelly!

But seriously, if you got an offer, Chad Johnson for say #47, how could you not pull the trigger?

Last edited:
Right, Greg Lewis is #4, we're better off IMO using a #3 or #4 on a young WR than spending picks and $$$ on Johnson.

Aaron Kelly!

But seriously, if you got an offer, Chad Johnson for say #47, how could you not pull the trigger?

Easily.. Unless Chad Johnson agrees to a reasonable incentive laden contract that also has a conduct clause, the Pats can't afford him.

Easily.. Unless Chad Johnson agrees to a reasonable incentive laden contract that also has a conduct clause, the Pats can't afford him.

I think the last year shows that he has grown up a bit, no coduct clause needed. If they could get him I am sure they can rearrage salaries to fit him, Galloway's salary is a start.

I don't think there is anything to suggest Chad Johnson has grown up in the last year. He legally decided to change his last name to a gramatically unsound Spanish pronounciation of his last name. Adult grown ups don't do that. He spent the entire offseason leading up to the 2008 season whining, including training camp, and then came out and had the worst season of his career. He conducted an embarrassing interview with Keyshawn Johnson. Again, to repeat, he legally changed his name to Ocho Cinco. Chad Johnson is a clown, an overrated receiver, and he has not grown up at all. He is not going to get traded, but if he were to, I would want nothing to do with him. This is not another Moss situation; Moss was never the kind of doofus to consistently decide it is more important to execute a ridiculous dance and take the penalty than to help his team win the game. Or to take a swing at his position coach at halftime of a playoff game. Moss' teammates always had respect for him; I'm not sure the same can be said about Mr. Ocho Cinco.

A combination of lack of need and lack of ability to fit him under the cap will be the logical blockers of a trade for the Pats; other teams will not be willing to pay the exorbitant price and pay him as one of the top 5 receivers in the league, which he is not. Any sort of objectivity would show that he would not fit in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down