PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What upgrades are essential to the offense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems likely we will sign a FB, likely Evans. Given that addition, where do see the greatest needs for the success of the 2009-2010 season or even beyond? Are any serious enough to make it a high priority for free agency and/or the draft?

For all the grinding and gnashing of teeth, I see only two upgrades that meets that standard. The rest seem to be wants not needs. These minor additions should make our offense one of the best in the league for the next couple of years.

1) We need to sign a receiver or two. As it stands, if Moss or Welker are out for a few games, we're toast. Gaffney is certainly likely to be on the short list.
2) I would also like to upgrade Connolly/Wendell with a high draftee who could start at guard in 2010.

JANUARY 31 ROSTER - OFFENSE
QB - 3 Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
RB - 4 Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Green-Ellis
FB - 1 (Evans/fa)
C - 2 Koppen, Connolly/Wendell
G - 3 Neal, Mankins, Yates
OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, LeVoir, O'Callaghan
WR - 5 Moss, Welker, Washington, Aiken, Slater
TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Devree

A third receiver, they can always get better on the line. Other than than defense has the most pressing needs.

It seems likely we will sign a FB, likely Evans. Given that addition, where do see the greatest needs for the success of the 2009-2010 season or even beyond? Are any serious enough to make it a high priority for free agency and/or the draft?

For all the grinding and gnashing of teeth, I see only two upgrades that meets that standard. The rest seem to be wants not needs. These minor additions should make our offense one of the best in the league for the next couple of years.

1) We need to sign a receiver or two. As it stands, if Moss or Welker are out for a few games, we're toast. Gaffney is certainly likely to be on the short list.
2) I would also like to upgrade Connolly/Wendell with a high draftee who could start at guard in 2010.

FB - 1 (Evans/fa)

I would agree, but add that there is no question we are adding a WR or 2 whether its Gaffeny or not. I think we may add OLs but only in minor FA or late pick moves.
If we add the defensive side to thins equation, and use your needs vs want approach, it seems to add up to (especially when Cassell is traded for picks IF they are 09 picks) have enough resources to fill needs, but also address wants.

Its ironic that after not making the playoffs for the first time in a long time, the team may be in better shape for the future than at any time in memory.

I think that we in better shape going into the 2004 and 2008 seasons. In 2004, we had one of the best teams in the history of the league. In 2008, we lost Brady and Thomas and didn't. But your primary point is well taken. Presuming Brady's health, we are in fine shape

I would agree, but add that there is no question we are adding a WR or 2 whether its Gaffeny or not. I think we may add OLs but only in minor FA or late pick moves.
If we add the defensive side to thins equation, and use your needs vs want approach, it seems to add up to (especially when Cassell is traded for picks IF they are 09 picks) have enough resources to fill needs, but also address wants.

Its ironic that after not making the playoffs for the first time in a long time, the team may be in better shape for the future than at any time in memory.

Agree that WR is the #1 need. Bringing back Gaffney is logical, but what's also needed is someone to groom for when Moss retires. What's he got left - 2 or 3 years?

#2 need I think is new blood at RB. Kevin Faulk is the ageless wonder, but father time will catch up some day. Maybe Law Firm can grow into Faulk-light.

I'm also betting that BB won't go 2 straight years without drafting a TE.

One more thing - we have no punter.

I thought Slater played more safety than WR.

I think that we in better shape going into the 2004 and 2008 seasons. In 2004, we had one of the best teams in the history of the league. In 2008, we lost Brady and Thomas and didn't. But your primary point is well taken. Presuming Brady's health, we are in fine shape
Im also factoring in age, we have gotten a lot younger on defense.

FB - 1 (Evans/fa)

Proposed new paragraph 3)

3) I think it essential that Yates be upgraded. Until Neal returned last fall, the OL play was marginal at best. Yates seemed only to be able to block straight ahead. If he had to move laterally to pick up a block, it rarely happened. Hochstein plays best as a backup LG/C and a sometime blocking TE/FB and he needs to be resigned and on the roster instead of Yates.

Well, with Brady's career over and being traded to the 49ers, I would say QB is our biggest priority wouldn't you think?

Well, with Brady's career over and being traded to the 49ers, I would say QB is our biggest priority wouldn't you think?

exactly, he cant even move, I hear. So since that slug is out of here Cassel needs a veteran backup!

Yes, I would like our #4 guard, who is almost always inactive to be upgraded. The #4 guard /#5 interior lineman plays only when two interior linemen are injured. If this is an essential personnel issue, then we CERTAINLY have the best offense ever. :)

That being said, I am one of the biggest proponents of upgrades at guard. As of know, I still want to use our #23 on a guard to replace Neal or Mankins in 2010. In the end you are probably correct. Hochstein will be re-signed as the #1 backup off the bench, the gameday backup at center and both guard positions, and a draftee will be brought in to compete with Yates.

Proposed new paragraph 3)

3) I think it essential that Yates be upgraded. Until Neal returned last fall, the OL play was marginal at best. Yates seemed only to be able to block straight ahead. If he had to move laterally to pick up a block, it rarely happened. Hochstein plays best as a backup LG/C and a sometime blocking TE/FB and he needs to be resigned and on the roster instead of Yates.

No essential upgrades needed. #3 WR and TE could use an upgrade but I wouldn't be terribly upset if nothing was done. Maybe some depth on the line. This offseason should be focused on defense.

No essential upgrades needed. #3 WR and TE could use an upgrade but I wouldn't be terribly upset if nothing was done. Maybe some depth on the line. This offseason should be focused on defense.

Agree completely.

No one agrees with me but 2007 and 2008 were MAJOR rebuilding years for the Patriots. Yet they won eighteen and eleven games respectively, while doing so. In 2007 they rebuilt the Offense with mostly trades on Offense. In 2008 they rebuilt the Defense, mostly with draftees. And the 2009 DRAFT positions and number of picks is more cream.

I STILL say the rebuilt JUGGERNAUT is building up Steam. :D

A receiving TE would add a dimension to this offense... depth on the O line is always nice.. Yates was not the answer.

A receiving TE would add a dimension to this offense... depth on the O line is always nice.. Yates was not the answer.
ther si onlyonefootbsll. Moss and Welker and Faulk got 200 catches. The TE got thirty. What is wrong with that? What makes you think that a receiving TE would get more then Watson and Thomas?:D

Yates has to go. Neal's return made a huge difference. If there's another OL injury like that I sure as ** don't want our newly-healed TFB behind Yates EVER again, if we can help it. :eek: I want our OL as armorized as possible.

Always can upgrade the O-line and get one more WR that is a deep threat. Yet, you will probably disagree with me.

ther si onlyonefootbsll. Moss and Welker and Faulk got 200 catches. The TE got thirty. What is wrong with that? What makes you think that a receiving TE would get more then Watson and Thomas?

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.. my point is that another pass receiving te, may diminish the need for a 3rd receiver... the consensus seems to be that Gaffney is not meeting the need, and a TE may be a way of resolving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes