Welcome to PatsFans.com

What up with the people we elect?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

New news about our ethical hero Harry Ried.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...8jan28,0,5893951.story?coll=la-home-headlines

In 2002, Reid (D-Nev.) paid $10,000 to a pension fund controlled by Clair Hay****, a Las Vegas lubricants distributor and his friend of 50 years. The payment gave the senator full control of a 160-acre parcel in Bullhead City that Reid and the pension fund had jointly owned. Reid's price for the equivalent of 60 acres of undeveloped desert was less than one-tenth of the value the assessor placed on it at the time.
    Six months after the deal closed, Reid introduced legislation [which failed to pass] to address the plight of lubricants dealers who had their supplies disrupted by the decisions of big oil companies. It was an issue the Hay**** family had brought to Reid's attention in 1994, according to a source familiar with the events.

If Reid were to sell the property for any of the various estimates of its value, his gain on the $10,000 investment could range from $50,000 to $290,000.

It is a potential violation of congressional ethics standards for a member to accept anything of value -- including a real estate discount -- from a person with interests before Congress.

Oh, and how could I leave out the scumbag looser Dennis Hastert. I saw some pundit mention this when talking about all the corruption and ethical issues going on the last couple of years. Who the fugg votes for these loosers?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/22/politics/main1740900.shtml

(CBS/AP) House Speaker Dennis Hastert denied Thursday that he pushed for federal funding for a proposed highway in northeastern Illinois so he and his wife could reap about $1.8 million from land deals near their home in Kendall County.

Based on Ingemunson's figures, Hastert paid roughly $259,000 for one parcel and later pocketed about $621,000 from its sale; and the speaker paid about $1.03 million for the other parcel and later reaped $2.48 million. Altogether, Hastert turned about $1.3 million in investments into about a $1.8 million profit in less than two years.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Should be fun when Patters shows up to rationalize Dirty Harry's behavior. This kind of stuff illlustrates why we should have term limits. Congress is into stuff that the founding fathers would never have dreamed of and spend (give away) far too much money to avoid this sort of corruption. I won't even get into the issue of tax breaks (eer wonder why pols react to the Flat Tax like a vampire to Holy Water?).
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Conservatives: Property rights

Liberals: People's rights
  4. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

:singing: :singing: :rolleyes:

Are you the king of meaningless slogans or something.

My guess is that most of the rich pubbies in congress earned their money and most of the dems inherited their's (Kohl and Lautenberg being notable exceptions.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

As the article states, Reid's purchase price probably was, but may not be low givenf the complexity of the deal, but his advocacy on behalf of lubricants is obviously unethical.

What the flat tax has to do with this is beyond me. By the way, there was an article in the New York Times a few days ago about a study that concluded that our actual tax rate, when all taxes are taken into account is flat (within a percent or two) for people earning between about $20,000 and $500,000. The article maintained the issue was mostly political posturing. It was quite interesting.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

What does the Flat Tax have to do with this. Well rich lobbyist work congress for breaks for their (mostly rich individual/corporate) clinets. If their were a Flat Tax with a personal exemption only the tax breaks the conress could give and the reason for a lot of the lobbying that goes on would evaporate. This would reduce the amount of coruption.

As far as posturing goes, look at the effective tax rates paid by some of the rich as opposed to the theoretical rate.

I alway look to the Sultzbergs for an objective analysis of the effective of free market tax proposals.

Try reading some of S Forbes writings on the subject if you are inerested.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You forgot Bush.
    Are you friggin kiddding me? :rofl: You can draw a party-line distinction between something as universal as generational wealth in Congress? Wake up! THese boys and girls are all in it together. :eat3: They're all rich and most of them were born rich. Dem or Repub, to separate one from the othe using this criteria is ridiculous. This is why the sheeple wake up believing one party is better than the other somehow. Chumps.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Flat tax doesn't go far enough. The only fair tax is a consumption/sales tax and this, combined with term limits wil greatly reduce corruption. The only reason we haven't had a sales tax is, besides the fact that the rich get to screw everyone with massive write-offs, is that in the past, the paperwork for companies would have been too much. Now everything is digitally recorded - hardly any additional work involved.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

There is little confidence the tax system will ever change in our lifetimes, there is too much of a vested interest in the status quo.. imagine if all of these millionaire guys and gals had to pay a flat tax on their income, w/o deductions or if they had to pay taxes on their consumption.. would back any party who introduced term limits, no retirement benefits and an alternative tax.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

There are certain people that walk into a room and the minute you look at them you see a "Slinky Slimey Sneaky Weasle" that you wouldn't let carry your dirty laundry. HARRY REID is one of these people.
    :bricks:
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Could be the case, but what the Times probably didn't realize, is that upper class earners have a means to tax shelters, write-offs, trusts, estates, etc... where by which their actual taxes paid is lower than it would be via a flat tax, or a consumption tax, which is what I like better. Do you have the article PAtters? I'd like to read it.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

Wistah, more than half of the incoming freshman congressmen this year are millionaires. More than half. Now, when people say only the Rpubs are rich, last I checked, the Dems just kicked ass in the elections, unseating repubs, which means that a large portion of those incoming millionaires were Dems. My point is, those who think the people in office are working slobs like you and me, are sadly mistaken. They are all silver spoon, out of touch, rich men. Your last line is what I've been preaching for years now. Signing your life away to one party is about as logical as pissing in the wind. I can see where your personal beliefs may align you more with one side than the other, but to blindly support rackateers from Coke and Pepsi boggles the mind.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +509 / 6 / -2

I love the idea of a consumption tax. Such a tax would also enlighten people to how efficiently the government spends its money. If a tax were set at 10%, and the government were wasting so much money that they wanted to move it to 11 or 12%, imagine the outcry. The rich, who spend millions, would feel the increase, as would everyone else. I'd love to see a consumption tax. Problem is, it's such a radical change, that it'll never happen. People don't like such changes.
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

I would be fine with a consumption, fundamentally they are the same thing, tax products and services once. The issue with going to a National sales tax is repealing the 16th amendment. I don't see how this could happen. If the 16th weren't repealed, within a few (very few) years there would be a call for an income tax....only on the rich of course so they could pay their 'fair share', and we would end up in worse shape with both an income tax and a NRST.

If we could repeal the 16th amendment sign me up for the consumption tax.
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

\Just for the record there has been a consumption tax bill floating around it is called the Fair Tax, problem is the rate is set at 23% and the rate is set to go up automatically to met the needs of the entitlement programs this would ensure those programs are never reformed (although I am unconvinced the pols will ever have the guts to do the right thing).