PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What type of subpackages did you see more often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinFaulk-33

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I would like to analyze some of the subpackages that Bill Belichick used in the last two years to understand what roles can have players like Tank Williams, Derrick Burgess, Shawn Springs or young player like Shawn Crable...

I remember a 4-2-5 from last year...

It would be interesting also to predict some of the new package that can be installed with this revamped defense... Think of Brace! :singing:

I hope that this thread can be intersting...

X 'n O's! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

The time for pain is NOW!!!!!:cool:

There are others here that can get in to the X's and O's details much better than I can, but one thing I wonder about is the use of the 'hybrid' S/LB. It seems that Belichick has wanted to utilize this for a while now but has been derailed by season ending injuries in training camp - first to Tebucky Jones in 2006, and then to Tank Williams last year. I haven't heard any talk about the hybrid role this year so perhaps that means it is unlikely to be used much.

Williams appears to be no more than 50-50 to make this year's roster; if he is cut would that mean this idea is shelved, or is there somebody else that would take over that role? How often would it be employed? For specific down-and-distances, or just dependent on the opponent and the matchup? Or is this simply something that will rarely, if ever be used this season based on the other players on this year's roster?

Pees has a 4-3 variation that he ran at various colleges before coming to the Pats. I think that we currently have the right personnel to run it effectively. It actually looks at times like a 6-1, but can quickly turn into a 5-2, 4-3, and even back to a 3-4 prior to the snap. I imagine to see something that looks as follows:

One the line (left to right): AD, Burgess, Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Guyton

Second level: Mayo

Obviously they can quickly switch all the back to a 3-4 (5-2, 4-3) with any personnel changes. If they do stay like this for the snap, or even switch to a 5-2 (with Guyton dropping back into the middle with Mayo), the offense would have to deal with Burgess and AD rushing off of the same end. This would probably mean no double teams for Seymour.

The counter for this type of D is running between the tackles, and quick short passes. A lot of pressure is placed on the lone ILB and the secondary, but this year I think that we have the personnel to handle it.

Thoughts?

I can forsee an Okie short 3 and 1 Defense 5-2-4.

DL: Seymour, Wilfork, Brace, Lekevin, Warren;
LB: AD & Mayo; and
DB: Bodden, Tank, Chung and Meriwether/Springs/Bodden

There are others here that can get in to the X's and O's details much better than I can, but one thing I wonder about is the use of the 'hybrid' S/LB. It seems that Belichick has wanted to utilize this for a while now but has been derailed by season ending injuries in training camp - first to Tebucky Jones in 2006, and then to Tank Williams last year. I haven't heard any talk about the hybrid role this year so perhaps that means it is unlikely to be used much.

Williams appears to be no more than 50-50 to make this year's roster; if he is cut would that mean this idea is shelved, or is there somebody else that would take over that role? How often would it be employed? For specific down-and-distances, or just dependent on the opponent and the matchup? Or is this simply something that will rarely, if ever be used this season based on the other players on this year's roster?

BB still wants that SS/LB solution to cure the short over-the-middle vulnerability. I believe BB used his first pick in the draft for Patrick Chung to insure that he would have at least one SS/LB. Tank and Chung are the SS/LB candidates,and both are currently available.

The next subpackage

Good point on the LB/S hybrid in Jones and now Tank Williams. Couple other guys can switch it up too-not just in those positions.

We saw some action from Rodney crowding the box and pass rushing last yr too. It will be an option but I doubt we'll see it frequently-we won't need to hopefully.

It's an another option to have on defense if we have candidates that can EXECUTE during game time plays and make adjustments to the offense.

We may need to on some Wildcat formations:cool:

short yardage package called "Big Drink Left"

-----------------------------------Taylor

----------------------------Brady---Hochstein

Lewis----------Kaczur Neal Koppen Mankins Light Vollmer--Baker

PS, I'm not a coach, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Guru of the 3-4 giving in to 4-3? Belichick tries Wilfork-Brace duo

Guru of the 3-4 giving in to 4-3? Belichick tries Wilfork-Brace duo by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

The Patriots favor a 3-4 defense, and perhaps no coach in the game today is more familiar with the intricacies of the formation than Bill Belichick.

But a funny thing has happened since the start of training camp: The Patriots have been fiddling with something that looks very much like a 4-3 defense. A lot.

“Any time you have two guys, two defensive linemen inside on the center and guards as opposed to one, and two linebackers, then you create some different matchups, different opportunities, different leverage points on the offense,” Belichick said.

“Ron and Vince are big guys, athletic, they certainly can hold the point and are extremely stout,” Belichick said. “But when they penetrate or shoot the gap or try to get on the edge of a blocker instead of right over the top of them, sometimes they can be pretty hard to stop. They get a lot of momentum heading into the gap, and if you don’t get over in front of them, they can penetrate and be disruptive.

Pees has a 4-3 variation that he ran at various colleges before coming to the Pats. I think that we currently have the right personnel to run it effectively. It actually looks at times like a 6-1, but can quickly turn into a 5-2, 4-3, and even back to a 3-4 prior to the snap. I imagine to see something that looks as follows:

One the line (left to right): AD, Burgess, Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Guyton

Second level: Mayo

Obviously they can quickly switch all the back to a 3-4 (5-2, 4-3) with any personnel changes. If they do stay like this for the snap, or even switch to a 5-2 (with Guyton dropping back into the middle with Mayo), the offense would have to deal with Burgess and AD rushing off of the same end. This would probably mean no double teams for Seymour.

The counter for this type of D is running between the tackles, and quick short passes. A lot of pressure is placed on the lone ILB and the secondary, but this year I think that we have the personnel to handle it.

Thoughts?

AllWorldTE from patriots planet said:
The Pats ran some interesting red zone stuff today. They ran a 4-3 group that featured what looked like an over front with the two OLBs (AD & Woods) on the LOS setting up a 6-1 look w/Mayo alone in the middle. They ran this quite a bit moving the inside alignments around. Pryor saw lots of action here between Seymour and Wilfork.

You maybe on to something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back