PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to Expect as Training Camp Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
With the rookies and veterans hitting the field running today, football season is finally just around the corner.

More...

Slightly off topic but I figured this was as good a place as any to post it - Jim Donaldson of the Providence Journal has a column (dated tomorrow?) in which Bill Belichick speaks about the change in training camp today versus when he first started coaching.

Jim Donaldson: Belichick remembers when training camps were a real grind | New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal

But Belichick’s memory is long. He remembers vividly when he went to his first NFL training camp with the Baltimore Colts as a “special assistant,” just a few months after graduating from Wesleyan.

“When I came into the league in 1975,” he recalled, “we started camp July 5 and our first regular-season game was September 21, so it was two-and-a-half months of training camp. We had three scrimmages against the Redskins, and I don’t know how many two-a-days. It had to be 30. It was forever.

“It was all of July, all of August, and half of September. We played six preseason games. It was like a full season, and then a regular season.

“So, has training camp changed? They (the players) have no idea."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing