PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What To Do With Our Leftover Cap Money? ($12.6 Million Available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
We are sitting on a boatload of extra cap money. 12.6 Million according to Miguel.

The thinking was that Branch would re-sign and take some of that money, that we would give some to Seymour this year as a converted bonus, and that we would also sign a veteran free agent.

Well, we did sign Seau, but now that Branch is traded, what will/should the Patriots do with this season's extra cap dollars? We have always spent to the limit, and I would have a problem with the front office if we didn't do something with the money.

Last edited:
Re: What To Do With Our Leftover Cap$$ Money Now?

Give it to me.

How much $$$ is available?

maverick4 said:
We are sitting on a boatload of extra cap money. 12.6 Million according to Miguel.

The thinking was that Branch would re-sign and take some of that money, that we would give some to Seymour, and that we would also sign a veteran free agent.

Well, we did sign Seau, but now that Branch is traded, what will/should the Patriots do with this season's extra cap dollars?

spend to the cap and front load some extensions, but balance the money so there is still alot of cap space available next year to make a semi-splash in free agency and have a good draft. keep bringing in young talent and building a team.

next year should be a good defensive draft, you figure at least one player in the first two rounds should be defensive.

Last edited:

The Branch trade is a blessing for our team, cap-wise. We got a #1 pick who we can sign cheap so we didn't lose value, and now we have money to extend some of our younger guys.

From Miguel's page, young players whose contracts end after this year:
Dan Koppen
Daniel Graham
Asante Samuel
Doug Gabriel (I thought we had him cheap for 2 years, not 1?)
Tully Banta Cain
Randall Gay
Mike Wright
Heath Evans
Don Davis
Patrick Pass
Eric Alexander

MrBigglesWorth said:
spend to the cap and front load some extensions, but balance the money so there is still alot of cap space available next year to make a semi-splash in free agency and have a good draft. keep bringing in young talent and building a team.

next year should be a good defensive draft, you figure at least one player in the first two rounds should be defensive.

Which young players would you front-load this year?

maverick4 said:

Brady and Seymour, free up money for future years. Also see the list of players for next year. A lot of good young talent it would be good to keep around.

patsfan13 said:
Brady and Seymour, free up money for future years. Also see the list of players for next year. A lot of good young talent it would be good to keep around.

Resign Graham, Samuel, Koppen, and whoever else is in the final year and of high regard to the franchise. It seems silly to 'waste' this extra money. But as others have pointed out, they can use the extra money into March of 07 (or something like that), so there's really no rush. They have until later in the season to extend players also, I believe.

The fiscal year for the NFL ends in March of 2007, I believe, so they have plenty of time to do extensions. I agree that they should frontload where they can, try to get extensions done with Asante and Koppen, and save some money for a Colvin-like splash in free agency next year. Coupled with a draft class that should be strong, and multiple early picks, the Patriots could really reload for 2007, especially on defense.

BB/SP: Surprise me.

(This way I get what I ask for.) :D

Kind of fun seeing 12 year veteran Don Davis listed with the young guys. ;)

Box_O_Rocks said:
Kind of fun seeing 12 year veteran Don Davis listed with the young guys. ;)

Yeah woops. Can I get away with saying 'young at heart' and also add Seau to that list?

Use it for a down payment on an English soccer team?

maverick4 said:
Dan Koppen
Daniel Graham
Asante Samuel
Doug Gabriel (I thought we had him cheap for 2 years, not 1?)
Tully Banta Cain
Randall Gay
Mike Wright
Heath Evans
Don Davis
Patrick Pass
Eric Alexander

Looking at that list, lets trim some of the fat...
JAGs (Just Another Guy) - Davis, Evans, Pass, Alexander
- can easily be replaced at veteran minimum by players of similar skill

Under contract control -Gay, Wright
- I believe the Pats have the first opportunity to sign these players because of their lack of tenure
- even if they are not under control they can be replaced

If Healthy - Koppen, Graham
- if they can prove they are healthy I like both these players but only for value, a 2nd TE and Center are not expensive positions
- still if the numbers work it would wise for the Pats to sign them as it is often better to go with the devil you know versus the devil you don't

Unknown - Gabriel, Bunta-Cain
- if Gabriel is on his last year and seems to click with Brady, worth approaching for an extension
- Bunta-Cain, too early to tell, at this point he looks replaceable but may sign for cheap $$ and could be worth it as he knows the system and can play special teams

Seasoned Starter - Samuels
- out of this group I would sign Samuels first, not because he is the best corner in the league but because corner is an expensive position and if he can be locked up it solidifies the position for the next couple of years
- ideally top end skill is brought in via FA (Nate Clements - Buffalo) or via the draft to push the talent level into one of the leagues best. A trio of Clements, Hobbs and Samuels would look pretty sweet

If Gabriel, Samuels, Koppen and Graham are under contract it dramatically reduces the number of holes that need filling next year. If they are not signed then we need to replace a starting corner, starting center, top WR, 2nd TE as well as find ways to improve Inside LB, Outside LB, add youth to SS and make any other upgrades.

Thinking as I type, signing Samuel, Koppen, Gabriel as a minimum would put the team in great position to develop a solid young base while adding more youth and playmakers through next years draft.

Last edited:
What about # 37 did he ever get more money?

I think he deserves more.

maverick4 said:
I took a look at the free agent list:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=1

Az-Zahir Hakim and Ricky Proehl are still available.

The FA lists on espn.com are out of date, and therefore unreliable. Don't waste your time there. So much for the worldwide leader.

Instead, go to kffl.com and click "free agents".

My list:

1. Koppen, IF truly healthy.
2. Samuel
3. Longer-term contracts for Gay and Wright, IF they continue to look good for the next month or two. Reward a UDFA for a job well done, and develop some team continuity by assuring that at least some of your young players stick with the team for more than 4 years.

maverick4 said:

if you don't frontload graham now, i think IMO I think he's gone, so I think that's a risk the pats are gonna take and let him walk. I would frontload koppen and samuel(if you can get him at a reasonable price), i would work on an extension for wilson now( i believe he comes up after next year)

can we start talking about the 30th and the 32nd pick?

I think if we extend or give any players raises before week 10, they count towards this year's cap. After week 10, they are averaged out over the life of the deal. After the regular season, they hit the 2007 cap number. Is that right?

If we were to use any of the money, we need to do it in the next 9 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes