PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What if it is traded for an exsisting player. The cap cost for unproven rookie player's, that high in the draft is insane, and could hand cuff us if we are to make a play for Moss and or Samuel.
So thinking uncoventionality, if we are unable to trade down and get good value, What established NFL player might be had for that #2 pick.

I throw this to the Masses.

What if it is traded for an exsisting player. The cap cost for unproven rookie player's, that high in the draft is insane, and could hand cuff us if we are to make a play for Moss and or Samuel.
So thinking uncoventionality, if we are unable to trade down and get good value, What established NFL player might be had for that #2 pick.

Marion Barber and a low number 1.

And they can draft McFadden.

(cue the draft nerds with their charts to rip this post apart:) )

There is IMO about a 5% chance we use that pick to draft a player. 1st of all Belichick will try to restore his system of having a higher 1st round pick every year than our position allows. I fully expect that we go back to having 2 1st round picks next year .. never drafting more than 1 player in the 1st every year ... it's a great idea that will keep us going for a very long time.

I agree with the masses that we'll likely trade it - so much is TBD, though, including how much interest there is in the pick. We need all the high upside juniors to come out and there to be some awesome combines. If we can get in the top 2 or 3 we should be able to find a suitable trading partner.

Barber is a RFA at the end of the year which complicates that - and Julius Jones is a UFA. More likely we can get a package of picks from Dallas and they can let Barber go and get the RFA comp picks. Or they could keep Barber for a year to go with McFadden. I could also see Dallas trading up to #1 with Miami though.

Courtesy flush and not too much TP seems to work for me.

There is IMO about a 5% chance we use that pick to draft a player. 1st of all Belichick will try to restore his system of having a higher 1st round pick every year than our position allows. I fully expect that we go back to having 2 1st round picks next year .. never drafting more than 1 player in the 1st every year ... it's a great idea that will keep us going for a very long time.

I agree it is a great idea, but sooner or later you have to use that second first rounder, otherwise, its as if you don't have it:D
I'm not heavily into the draft, but I hope they trade down the frist rounder and get some youth and speed on defense, linebackers and/or maybe a corner.

And they can draft McFadden.

(cue the draft nerds with their charts to rip this post apart:) )

I would love to see this happen, and then if we could trade the dallas #1 for a #1 next year would be great. Highly unlikely, but fun to think about

Is there a NFL linebacker you think might fit us and be able to be had with a Number two pick

Barber is a RFA at the end of the year which complicates that - and Julius Jones is a UFA. More likely we can get a package of picks from Dallas and they can let Barber go and get the RFA comp picks. Or they could keep Barber for a year to go with McFadden. I could also see Dallas trading up to #1 with Miami though.

Jerry Jones' infatuation with McFadden is a bit overstated. He made a joke after acquiring the Browns first rounder, when it seemed as if that'd be a top 5 pick, on last years draft day. Something along the lines of "Darren McFadden, who does he play for?" because of the Arkansas connection. I highly, highly doubt the Cowboys will trade into the top 5 of the draft. Signing Barber longterm seems to be a near-lock from what's coming out of Valley Ranch, and then spending the two first rounders on a corner and a receiver.

Not sure, a bit more interested in getting #4, if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back