PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with all theese picks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady199

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I would like to see them trade both of their 3's and 4's for two more 2nd rounders. Also possibly trade a 2nd rounder for a 1st rounder next year, doubt that anyone will do that if this draft class is as week as everyone is saying it is, but all it takes is one player to drop that someone has a 1st round grade on.

Who knows what they will do, but I'm sure they would want to trade one or two of their picks for picks one round earlier in the 2012 draft.

Any thoughts?

Im switching my position from Patrick Peterson with the Raiders pick to AJ green. I then would like to somehow land Marcell Dareus or a Pass rusher. If we can do that by moving our second and maybe a third that leaves us with Carolinas Second and a third.

Last edited:
I would vastly prefer a RB over a WR in round 1. A top flight RB is more of a sure thing than a WR imo. That being said... I don't want a RB in round 1. I want big men and pass rushers. Pick up a RB in round 2, and pick up a FA WR or trade for a proven one.

Re: What to do with all these picks....

1a - Patrick Peterson
1b - Marcell Dareus
2a - Mark Ingram
2b - Ryan Winterswyk

to state the obvious we have basically have double the chance a normal team has to have a good draft. the amazing thing is at the moment the teams we have picks from have a combined record of 2 - 8... it's like we have stolen a bad team's draft for this year. You can say what you want about BB but he is giving us every chance to get young talent

1a - Patrick Peterson
1b - Marcell Dareus
2a - Mark Ingram
2b - Ryan Winterswyk
Winterswyk is a good kid, one I've enjoyed tracking, but if he goes before Day Three I'll be surprised.

Stop trading down every year. Use some of that 2nd round ammo to go up and get TALENT. I'm sick of hearing about value every single year.

Stop trading down every year. Use some of that 2nd round ammo to go up and get TALENT. I'm sick of hearing about value every single year.

Past two years worth of trading down and/or veterans has yielded some serious talent. Starting RT, Starting SS, Starting ILB, Starting OLB, Starting TE-1, Starting TE-2, Starting WR, spot started LDE, spot starting CB, starting CB,

The big miss on the value/quantity vs. quality debate is the relative value of Clay Matthews versus the eventual haul of players the Pats got from going from #23 in 2009 to #40 via Baltimore and Green Bay. Do the number of competent or better players that the Patriots got from this set of trades lead to a higher level of aggregate talent than Matthews + replacement level players who otherwise would be filling the roles that Brace, Butler, Gronk, Edelman etc fill.

Winterswyk is a good kid, one I've enjoyed tracking, but if he goes before Day Three I'll be surprised.

No problem, we'll take him later on and use that 2b pick on Pouncey:D

Trade up for a 3rd pick in the first round! go for talent now the team has the depth.

Trade up and come away with Peterson, Clayborn and AJ Green

:rocker:

Trade 2 for veterans
Trade 2 to next year
Use the rest on draft picks

Lots of options for BB. I'm leaning toward:

WR Green of Georgia
OLB Kerrigan of Purdue
SS Barron of Alabma
DE Crick of Nebraska
Trade for a 2012 2nd rounder
Trade for a 2012 2nd rounder
NT Powe of Miss
OT Hix of Texas

Last edited:
If there's a rookie salary structure in place by then, I'll like for New England to use all of the picks they own in the first four rounds. Especially, in the first two rounds.

Because New England has gain some momentum from the past two drafts that they should feel confident that the 2011 draft can prove fruitful for them as well.

Patrick Chung (R2), Sebastian Vollmer (R2), Brandon Tate (R3), Jake Ingram (R6) and Julian Edelman (R7)

Devin McCourty (R1), Rob Gronkowski (R2), Brandon Spikes (R2), Aaron Hernandez (R4) and Zoltan Mesko (R5)

First round - Patrick Peterson or Adrian Clayborn or Cameron Heyward, and Anthony Castonzo or Justin Boren

Second round - Marcell Dareus or Nate Solder, and Cameron Jordan or Rahim Moore

Third round - Kristofer O'Dowd or Bruce Miller, and Dwayne Harris or DeMarco Murray

IDK, I can count probably a dozen guys on the current roster who are going to need replacing in the next year or two. Add in the current holes like 3-4 DE and I think there's enough landing spots for the whole slate of picks.

Alternatively, BB could trade half the slate of picks to go up to #1 overall and take Luck as Brady's eventual successor.

Past two years worth of trading down and/or veterans has yielded some serious talent. Starting RT, Starting SS, Starting ILB, Starting OLB, Starting TE-1, Starting TE-2, Starting WR, spot started LDE, spot starting CB, starting CB,

The big miss on the value/quantity vs. quality debate is the relative value of Clay Matthews versus the eventual haul of players the Pats got from going from #23 in 2009 to #40 via Baltimore and Green Bay. Do the number of competent or better players that the Patriots got from this set of trades lead to a higher level of aggregate talent than Matthews + replacement level players who otherwise would be filling the roles that Brace, Butler, Gronk, Edelman etc fill.

So youre content with guys like Ninkivich as our starting olb because we didn't like the value of matthews or didn't see any value in trading up for orakpo? youre ok with having butler who cant get on the field instead of vontae davis? you like brace not even starting instead of moving up to get his more talented teammate in raji?

The value based system is overrated. Give me quality over quantity

When you have to rebuild a decadal Super Bowl team from top to bottom, you need Both numbers of talented players and a few Stars.

He has stockpiled and the gotten the out sized number of picks; and selected the large number of talented players to fill a roster. He has found lots of talent and even an impact player or two. :D

With the numbers game about over, it's time to change emphasis, and I predict he will Shoot for the Stars. This is the year he trades up instead of down. Don't forget he did so for Light ++, Graham +, and Jackson --, and its not foreign to his nature. Bill does what the situation demands, even if we don't see it, at the time. :snob:;)

So youre content with guys like Ninkivich as our starting olb because we didn't like the value of matthews or didn't see any value in trading up for orakpo? youre ok with having butler who cant get on the field instead of vontae davis? you like brace not even starting instead of moving up to get his more talented teammate in raji?

Is there NO quality in the players BB got for that pick? Sure, Butler sucks right now but Gronk is a beast, hopefully Brace is coming along as well, he's certainly had flashes.

Anyway, how one should draft is determined by one's needs, if you have a LOT of holes to fill in then you want a lot of players, a few holes means you probably trade up to get a specific player you think will have a big impact.

It's easy to say looking back. I hated Clay Matthews coming out, didn't want to touch him with a 10 foot poll. He's proved me wrong... though I think he's a good player, not the great one some people make him out to be.

Orakpo and Raji, you never now if they could have traded up. Davies and Butler were graded pretty closely by most coming out.

All i want is if the Raiders pick is in the top 15, i want us to pick. The best players generally go high, and we don't often pick high.

That is not the argument that I am making. The argument that I am making is the following:

Matthews + Darnell Jenkins+ Rob Myers+the next Earthwind Moreland OR

Butler, Gronk, Tate, Edelman,

Yes, the first line moves Ninkovich's responsibilities to either covering kicks or asking if we want fries with that. That is a net improvement in isolation, but it is far more questionable if it is a net aggregate team improvement compared to the second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes