PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do at WR & TE

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also a lot of risk by throwing big money at Welker. He has his limitations and we've been seeing them, Greg Jennings makes that catch in the SB and a bunch of others that Welker cannot.

I am not going to throw any stat but just use the eye ball tes to watching some GB games. He is not that great. He is behind nelson and jones even in his own team.

I have an eery feeling that if we let WW walk, he'll be in a donkeys uniform next year.

Do you think manning would have used a 100 yd game from Wes 2 weeks ago. strockley is 38 ...with 20 million cap i think they should add him.

There's also a lot of risk by throwing big money at Welker. He has his limitations and we've been seeing them, Greg Jennings makes that catch in the SB and a bunch of others that Welker cannot.

I am not going to throw any stat but just use the eye ball test watching some GB games. He is behind nelson and jones even in his own team.

I have an eery feeling that if we let WW walk, he'll be in a donkeys uniform next year.

That would honestly suck and be the best WR core in the league. Weaker for underneath, Decker for intermediate routes, and Thomas for the stud #1/deep threat.

Edit: lol do the Falcons have $? Now that would be something to see!

I certainly do not want to just cut WW free. It does boil down to whether he will take shorter money.

The Pats got themselves into this situation by turning a big part of their offense over to a guy that lines up right next to the tackle and is exposed to a lot of physical play because of it. That used to be a compromise that the Pats could convince themselves that they could afford because when Gronk was out they could argue to themselves that they could move Welker into the top spot in Brady's progressions and still be "effective".

That is not the case now and maybe it never was the case. But concentrating on now and the future:
- Look at how often WW gets creamed now. Small guys live in this league by being difficult to hit cleanly. That is a skill...talent. That is not some matter of luck. You are either quick enough as a smallish guy to avoid the direct...get hammered licks or you are not. Wes no longer is. If you are watching the games you cannot miss how much more often Wes gets his clock cleaned now. This was true in the regular season as well.
- WW has also gotten slower and slower with time...what a surprise...a guy that is not exactly a long legged thoroughbred getting slower with age
- because of a combination of factors....age being one of them WW no longer makes big plays for this team in anything like the numbers that would support big contract numbers for him. Watching him "try" to stretch out for a ball yesterday was painful. So he makes a zillion catches in the regular season...that is like having a seasonal perspective on bend but don't break. Wes gets his catches in the regular season but in crunch time, he can be handled.

Hernandez can be handled when Gronk is not there. Lloyd can be handled no matter who is there!

So I want to see WW stay here. But if he is going to demand a contract that prevents the Pats from finding there way to a more realistic threat on the outside then I would reluctantly have to say that it is not an issue of WW being a bum or anything like that. They simply won't be able to afford him when they are already committed to Gronk and Hernandez. Now you could argue about turning over so much offense to a guy that is exposed to as much physical play as a TE without really being able to afford to be without him in the heat of post season competition....that is probably a legit argument. But that horse has already left the barn.

I would still prefer WW to Lloyd. I simply do not think Lloyd will ever be the answer here. TB does not have the confidence in Lloyd that he has in WW. Lloyd as it turns out does not even stretch the field from sideline to sideline. Lloyd does not get open with the frequency of a WW and the preponderance of Lloyd's catches are catches on the way to the ground. All of that turns Lloyd into a luxury that the Pats cannot afford to have. Welker is a luxury at the wrong price but if Welker can be signed for money that fits with the other team elements that they need then I would want them to keep Welker.

In fact, if McD is the guy that convinced the Pats to bring Lloyd here then that to me says more about McD than it says about Lloyd or Welker. Lloyd has shown me nothing that would have suggested to me that he was the guy we were looking for here.

We need a guy that is enough of an athlete that he can go get the ball....almost the other end of the problem we have with our DB's who also with one exception, Talib are simply not athletic enough. As I said earlier, when Gronk is out the Pats are missing their most potent offensive threat AND the only Pat's receiver I have seen of late that can make catches consistently on balls that are not thrown right into his sweet spot. Welker has to get the ball right on the numbers and he is dropping those as well. Hernandez does not stretch out for the ball like Gronk does. Lloyd's sweet spot is about 12" off the ground as he is going down and that is basically where he catches the ball. So much for YAC and Lloyd. Receivers do not have to be HOF receivers to be able to catch balls that are not thrown into some tight circle. But you better be able to make some catches on balls that are not perfectly thrown if you want to be considered a great receiver.

Oddly enough, thought about a certain way...we have the same problem on offense as we have on defense. Other than Gronk who will always be more exposed to injury than we will be comfortable with because he is a TE we have nobody that can go get the ball...nobody that presents that kind of athletic problem for the opponent. On defense except for Talib, we have nobody in the secondary that can compete athletically with the kinds of guys they have to cover.

Finally refusing to understand how damaging that drop by Welker was yesterday on the ball thrown right to him that would have converted on third down, is a refusal to understand the significance of momentum and belief in what you are doing is to a football team. Welker's drop proved to the Ravens that their defensive strategy for this game, pounding the Pats that handle the ball on offense, was sound and they were headed in the right direction yesterday. To say nothing of the momentum boost a defense gets from just making a third down conversion in a big spot like that and getting off the field. I would trade bushel barrels of Welker grabs for that one catch because when that ball slipped through his hands all the momentum went to the Ravens. I even think that drop was a double momentum whammy. The Pats have seen that drop before from Wes and I think it took the wind out of their sails in this situation. Momentum and belief in their defensive strategy went through the ceiling for the Ravens and they never looked back on either side of the ball after that.

From Peter King's MMQB column today -- an opinion from one of the GB sportswriters.

4. I think if you have a chance, and you care about the Packers, you should find Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel beat man Bob McGinn's rankings of Green Bay's individual players. His takes are bracingly honest. Like the one on wide receiver Greg Jennings: "Will be 30 early next season, has missed 11 of the last 22 games due to injury and in all probability will be allowed to walk in March as an unrestricted free agent. Averaged merely 10.5 yards per catch, including 4.3 after the catch. Early in season as a slot, there were times it seemed he was just looking for a place to fall down. Just how strong his market value will be could hinge on how much stock scouts put on his superb performance at Minnesota in the regular-season finale. Gifted, precise runner still offers vertical stretch. There are just too many other capable players at his position and too many players at other positions that must be paid. Grade: C-plus.'' McGinn. A classic.

Read More: Jim Harbaugh's San Francisco 49ers, John Harbaugh's Baltimore Ravens to meet in Super Bowl XLVII after compelling weekend - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Can someone let me know how much it is that Welker wants per year?

And how much the Patriots are only willing to go?

Anyway - when it comes to his free agency, I think it can really hurt us if we let him walk and a team like the Broncos, Falcons or someone gets him.

Anyway - when it comes to his free agency, I think it can really hurt us if we let him walk and a team like the Broncos, Falcons or someone gets him.

Dolphins have tons of cap room. I'm sure they will love the chance to get him back.

I am not going to throw any stat but just use the eye ball test watching some GB games. He is behind nelson and jones even in his own team.

I'd be open to discussing a deal with Mike Wallace.

Toward the end of last season, Welker was reportedly offered $18M fully guaranteed over two years and turned it down. Supposedly that offer lowered during the offseason. Probably has gone down more now that he's a year older and since the hands have become more of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back