PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What time to leave from Springfield area for Thursday's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First weekday game I've been to. First game taking 2 young kids. Not sure what time to leave. I'd like them to experience some of the tailgate, but if we get there too early, they'll probably burn out sometime during the game.

Also, any stadium parking lots more kid friendly than others?

thanks.

I have no advice, but it makes me happy to see someone else from the forgotten half of the state. Seems like not even MA cares about western MA.

I'm assuming your taking the pike to 495s? Traffic on Thursday and Friday afternoons on 495 south can get bad starting around 3pm or so. Lots of people get an early start heading down to the cape for the weekend. Just a head's up.

Don't make the mistake I made a few years ago. I figured why go hours early for a preseason game? Left thinking we'd get their 45 minutes early and wound up missing the first quarter. The exit on to 495 from the pike was backed up for a mile. I can't believe it was all game traffic...probably mostly commuters. If you're not working, make an afternoon and evening of it. Patriots place, the Hall(call and see if its open) and a good relaxing tailgate will be great.

To avoid traffic, take Exit 16 (King St.) off 495. Then turn right on Rt. 140 (Walgreens will be on your left).
Follow 140 to Wrentham Common and turn left on Route 1A. Take a right off Rt 1A onto Rt 115 (across from Horse and Carriage). Take third left onto Pine Street. Two choices: Lafayette House on left or Seasonal Specialty Stores lot on right.

About a mile walk to the stadium, but you won't sit in any traffic on the way out. Just retrace the route above.

Go extra early and maybe you can take the kids through the Pats Hall of Fame (open until kickoff).

take the pike to natick, go speen st to 27....then you have your choice of of getting on Rt1 at the Big Y in Walpole or take right onto Washington St in Walpole and it will lead you right to the intersection at mcdonalds just north of the stadium....take Rt 1 till you get just south of the stadium and you can park on somewhere on the southbound side and then just go south to 495 north and head home

lots of backroads but no game traffic

Leave early. Double or triple the time it would take you to get there with no traffic. Thursday night preseason games combine into the perfect storm of game day traffic, rush hour and people leaving early for their weekend on the Cape. I (and many other long-time season ticket holders) haven't even bothered to attend in years as the frustration of sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for hours is only increased by arriving to catch the starters for one series, or sometimes even missing them all together while navigating said traffic.

Try to park on the north side of the stadium (i.e. along Rte. 1 South before you reach the stadium) in a non-stadium lot (the only thing worse than the pre-game traffic is the post-game logjam in trying to get out of a stadium lot). My personally favorite is Lot 33, which is on the right side of Rte. 1 (but offers a cop allowing you to turn left at the end of the night), 3 lots after the intersection of Rte. 1 and North Street (the last traffic light before you hit the stadium). Lot 33 is right after a little bridge, just before you reach the Rodman Car dealership (also a decent place to park). Then you will be just a short walk to Patriots Place, the Hall and the Pro Shop, all a hit with the kids (who will be so excited, they won't mind the traffic). Have fun!

take the pike to natick, go speen st to 27....then you have your choice of of getting on Rt1 at the Big Y in Walpole or take right onto Washington St in Walpole and it will lead you right to the intersection at mcdonalds just north of the stadium....take Rt 1 till you get just south of the stadium and you can park on somewhere on the southbound side and then just go south to 495 north and head home

lots of backroads but no game traffic
If you follow these directions, you can park at Lot 33 as it is the 3rd lot on your right after you make the turn onto Rte. 1 South at the McDondalds (aka North Street).

Might want to call ahead and see if the NFL* is in charge of painting the field.

In other news, Phil Swift was fired as a consultant for the NFL.

I recall quite a few years ago, the Patriots had some preseason games on Saturday afternoon ... maybe some also Saturday evening. It was perfect for summertime. WHY are they on Thursday nights?

COming from that area traffic shouldn't be too bad

1.30 to get there maybe with no traffic?

Last edited:
We have been suffering through Thursday night games for years. Who the heck wants to go to a preseason game on a Thursday night? Regular season night games are bad enough.

Saturday afternoon, now that is a game I could enjoy.

And yes, I eat the cost of the preseason games each year because nobody wants to go.

afternoon games? in the middle of the summer? this is a joke, right?

afternoon games? in the middle of the summer? this is a joke, right?
You wouldn't know since you never leave the house, but yes -- they actually had Saturday afternoon games in August (not the "middle of summer") and everyone miraculously survived.

Since we all know how much Bob Kraft likes the moolah, you'd think he would see the financial advantage for Patriot Place in having afternoon preseason games.

You wouldn't know since you never leave the house, but yes -- they actually had Saturday afternoon games in August (not the "middle of summer") and everyone miraculously survived.

Since we all know how much Bob Kraft likes the moolah, you'd think he would see the financial advantage for Patriot Place in having afternoon preseason games.

LOL.... jackass

I recall quite a few years ago, the Patriots had some preseason games on Saturday afternoon ... maybe some also Saturday evening. It was perfect for summertime. WHY are they on Thursday nights?
NFL $$$$ Network (Pats-Saints is on NFLN outside of New England) & Game Pa$$

We have been suffering through Thursday night games for years. Who the heck wants to go to a preseason game on a Thursday night? Regular season night games are bad enough.

And yes, I eat the cost of the preseason games each year because nobody wants to go.
A number of years ago, there were some preseason games played on Saturdays and Sundays, although nearly all of them were played in climate-controlled domes. But, September 1:00 p.m. games can be tough enough with the sun blazing, let alone August ones.

the first and 4th games suck, the second isnt so bad, and 3rd is entertaining

Tha
NFL $$$$ Network (Pats-Saints is on NFLN outside of New England) & Game Pa$$

Thank you I was just about to look up the TV schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back