PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats Look Like to Non-Football Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kinda surprised me a bit, so let me explain. My girlfriend (fiance' very soon; I am actually proposing the day before Christmas Eve in Boston) didn't know much about football at all prior to us meeting. She watches every game that I watch every Sunday (we watch Red Zone when the Pats aren't on) and obviously we never miss a snap of the Patriot games.

She made a comment to me after this Jets game that I found interesting, coming from someone with very limited football knowledge. She told me that when she sees Brady play, that to her, it doesn't look fair. It looks as if he is playing a different game than everyone else and that he clearly is superior to all of the other quarterbacks she has watched this season.

Its not a stunning revelation, but it was nice to know that to a complete stranger to the game of football, he (and the Patriots) still look "different".

I remember thinking something very similar back when Moss was receiving.

Number 99 had seven consecutive Art Ross wins ("Not one!, Not two, Not three! Not 4!"), with three more in his career. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. He also had at least one season with the Art Ross, Hart, and Conn Smythe on his trophy case. Obviously trophies like the Norris and Vezina were out of his reach, even if he was the great one ;)

Bobby Orr was a defense man.

Bobby Orr did it all, he would kill penalties all by himself skating around in circles with the other team chasing him. He could just take over a game at any moment. Other teams would deliberately try to injure him. Take out his knees and beat him up he was so dominant. When that happened, Wayne Cashman or Johnny McKenzie would have to go in and pound in the face of the perpetrators. Nobody wore helmets or face guards but the goalies.

Black hawks Kieth Magunson was a goon who was the beginning of the end for Bobby Orr.

Bobby Orr did it all, he would kill penalties all by himself skating around in circles with the other team chasing him. He could just take over a game at any moment. Other teams would deliberately try to injure him. Take out his knees and beat him up he was so dominant. When that happened, Wayne Cashman or Johnny McKenzie would have to go in and pound in the face of the perpetrators. Nobody wore helmets or face guards but the goalies.

Black hawks Kieth Magunson was a goon who was the beginning of the end for Bobby Orr.
That was Terry O'Reilly's job and it wasn't because Orr couldn't fight, he could really well, they didn't want him off the ice for 5 minutes, which was the instigators goal.

Tom Brady will definitely go down as greatest Boston athlete. Six SB appearances ( 4 Wins) in a capped league is impressive.

Number 99 had seven consecutive Art Ross wins ("Not one!, Not two, Not three! Not 4!"), with three more in his career. Certainly nothing to sneeze at ;)

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned his style of play and the medical options available at the time.

It wasn't Keith Magnuson who ended Orr's career, it was a clean hit by Pat Quinn on Orr as he came around the back of the net. Magnuson was a tiny blip on Orr's radar.

One of my favorite Orr/Magnuson moments was when the word came out before the season that Magnuson had taken boxing or karate lessons over the winter. The first time the Bruins played them Orr almost immediately went after Magnuson and beat him to a bloody pulp.

That was Terry O'Reilly's job and it wasn't because Orr couldn't fight, he could really well, they didn't want him off the ice for 5 minutes, which was the instigators goal.

Yup. Orr was a force to be reckoned with no matter what he was doing. That included fighting.

Tom Brady will definitely go down as greatest Boston athlete. Six SB appearances ( 4 Wins) in a capped league is impressive.

I'm as big a Brady fan as anyone can be, but he has a ways to go to catch Bill Russell as the greatest Boston athlete.

Wayne Cashman was a hatchet man too. I watched him numerous times take care of business on players harassing Orr. Cashman had a notorious left hand.

I did not state that Orr could not fight. Everyone fought in those days. Yes, the opposing teams were trying to get Orr off the ice for good.

It wasn't Keith Magnuson who ended Orr's career, it was a clean hit by Pat Quinn on Orr as he came around the back of the net. Magnuson was a tiny blip on Orr's radar.

You would be wrong on Magnuson. He was hardly a blip and is in the the great book of Boston sports for his dirty deeds to Orr.

The Great Book of Boston Sports Lists

I specifically recall Magnuson taking out one of Bobby Orrs knees during a game. Orr did not come back into the game after that hit. Orr had to quit because of his knees. The Pat Quinn hit was to Orrs head and is irrelevant. Orr did not quit the game because of Quinns hit.

Orr signed with Chicago, but his injuries limited him to only 26 games over the next three seasons. He sat out the entire 1977–78 season. By 1978, Orr had undergone over a dozen knee surgeries, was having trouble walking and barely skated any more. However, in the summer of 1978, he decided to make a comeback.[85] He played six games of the 1978–79 season and came to the conclusion that he could no longer play and informed the Black Hawks that he was retiring.
Bobby Orr - Wikipedia

One of my favorite Orr/Magnuson moments was when the word came out before the season that Magnuson had taken boxing or karate lessons over the winter. The first time the Bruins played them Orr almost immediately went after Magnuson and beat him to a bloody pulp.

Yup. Orr was a force to be reckoned with no matter what he was doing. That included fighting.

Magnuson was a goon whose sole purpose was to fight and injure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes