PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats Look Like to Non-Football Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading another team's forum. And even though we lost the game, they were talking about the Seahawks / Pats game... And basically the guy said something like "I hate to admit it, but when I watch those two teams play, I feel like I am watching an entirely different sport".

We both were actually at that game.

Its not a stunning revelation, but it was nice to know that to a complete stranger to the game of football, he (and the Patriots) still look "different".

These are the good times.

If you still get a chance to watch them, Brady and the Pats are going to look real different once youre hitched. "What, your football team is more important than me?" My EX girlfriend finally figured out the Pats schedule and would plan things for us to do on those specific days and times.

My son just proposed. I told him that he just lit the fuse.

Getting married was great: having a kid was the real atomic bomb in my life.

Enjoy. :)

My g/f has decided to plan things for herself on Sundays. I'm so grateful. She knows how much I look forward to watching football. She doesn't even give me crap when we take a vacation and I watch football. I'm a lucky guy.

Football is my thing - Buying shoes (and lot's of em) is her thing :cool:

Dude, she's buttering you up so you'll pop the question. As soon as you do, Brady will be a system QB and she'll be calling for Garoppolo.

My g/f has decided to plan things for herself on Sundays. I'm so grateful. She knows how much I look forward to watching football. She doesn't even give me crap when we take a vacation and I watch football. I'm a lucky guy.
He married the right girl!!

The greatest ever.

When someone tells Wayne Gretsky that he is not the greatest, Gretsky replies " Youre from Boston."
I flipped through Wayne's new book. He does give proper credit to Eddie Shore as the pioneering, dynamic and tremendous hall of famer that he is.

The relatively few times Bobby's mentioned, and no I'm not talking about Hull, more than once he says, "Orr and Coffey".

What?

"Orr and Park". Sure same era and even briefly teammates. But, "Orr and..." Anybody? Nobody. There is no "Orr and ..." Everybody who saw him play, including Gordie Howe, knows it.

I've always liked and admired Wayne, for a lot of reasons, and he's deservedly called "The Great One." Wayne had a distinctive, revolutionary and record-setting style of play, and I think he'll remain at the top of the record books, possibly forever. When people refer to Phil Esposito, they'll say "he wasn't as good as Gretzky". Okay.

But neither Gretzky nor anyone else who has ever played the game before or since, will ever be in the same class as Bobby. He did it all, words will never do him justice, and I still can't believe we got to see him right here in Boston.

I am very fortunate on this. Mrs. Rover goes out of her way to make sure I can watch maximum football... even making sure that family events and trips don't conflict. And she also roots for the Patriots... which is doubly cool... since she grew up a Jets fan. :)

I flipped through Wayne's new book. He does give proper credit to Eddie Shore as the pioneering, dynamic and tremendous hall of famer that he is.

The relatively few times Bobby's mentioned, and no I'm not talking about Hull, more than once he says, "Orr and Coffey".

What?

"Orr and Park". Sure same era and even briefly teammates. But, "Orr and..." Anybody? Nobody. There is no "Orr and ..." Everybody who saw him play, including Gordie Howe, knows it.

I've always liked and admired Wayne, for a lot of reasons, and he's deservedly called "The Great One." Wayne had a distinctive, revolutionary and record-setting style of play, and I think he'll remain at the top of the record books, possibly forever. When people refer to Phil Esposito, they'll say "he wasn't as good as Gretzky". Okay.

But neither Gretzky nor anyone else who has ever played the game before or since, will ever be in the same class as Bobby. He did it all, words will never do him justice, and I still can't believe we got to see him right here in Boston.

Probably just refers to both Orr and Coffey's tremendous skating ability. Both looked extremely effortless while making opponents just look silly at the same time. Only defencemen that even comes close to either in the past 20 years has been Karlsson and Leetch. I think Orr has a similar if not equal peak to Gretzky when you compare the dominance to their peers, but Wayne had the longer peak due to Orr's style of play and the limited medical options at the time to recover from injuries.
No question though that Orr was probably more influential in freeing up defenceman to pursue a more influential offensive role. Shore and Harvey had shown the offensive potential of defenceman, but Orr certainly popularized it.

Probably just refers to both Orr and Coffey's tremendous skating ability. Both looked extremely effortless while making opponents just look silly at the same time. Only defencemen that even comes close to either in the past 20 years has been Karlsson and Leetch. I think Orr has a similar if not equal peak to Gretzky when you compare the dominance to their peers, but Wayne had the longer peak due to Orr's style of play and the limited medical options at the time to recover from injuries.
No question though that Orr was probably more influential in freeing up defenceman to pursue a more influential offensive role. Shore and Harvey had shown the offensive potential of defenceman, but Orr certainly popularized it.
If somebody else ever wins the Ross, Hart, Smythe, & Norris trophies and Cup in the same season, I can promise you only one thing: Whoever it is, will no more be in the same class as Bobby than Gretzky or anybody else.

I am very fortunate on this. Mrs. Rover goes out of her way to make sure I can watch maximum football... even making sure that family events and trips don't conflict. And she also roots for the Patriots... which is doubly cool... since she grew up a Jets fan. :)
...This is called, "marrying well"...

If somebody else ever wins the Ross, Hart, Smythe, & Norris trophies and Cup in the same season, I can promise you only one thing: Whoever it is, will no more be in the same class as Bobby than Gretzky or anybody else.

Number 99 had seven consecutive Art Ross wins ("Not one!, Not two, Not three! Not 4!"), with three more in his career. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. He also had at least one season with the Art Ross, Hart, and Conn Smythe on his trophy case. Obviously trophies like the Norris and Vezina were out of his reach, even if he was the great one ;)

The greatest ever.

When someone tells Wayne Gretsky that he is not the greatest, Gretsky replies " Youre from Boston."
LOL check it out:

NHL All-Time Plus-Minus Leaders

Larry Robinson's the only one ahead of Bobby, and he played more than twice as many games

Ray's first behind Bobby, and he played nearly a thousand more games

Gretzky's next, but he only played 820 more games than Bobby

I love this stuff; it's hilarious

Last edited:
Number 99 had seven consecutive Art Ross wins ("Not one!, Not two, Not three! Not 4!"), with three more in his career. Certainly nothing to sneeze at. He also had at least one season with the Art Ross, Hart, and Conn Smythe on his trophy case. Obviously trophies like the Norris and Vezina were out of his reach, even if he was the great one ;)
From Wiki: Nicknamed "The Great One", he has been called "the greatest hockey player ever" by many sportswriters, players, and the NHL itself.

Now, all those people are not necessarily stupid, or ignorant. Lots of them did in fact, see and/or play against Bobby.

Those of us really watching, paying attention, without prejudice or distraction, clearly and instantly comprehend the absurdity of the statement.

There are, in fact, thousands if not millions of others just like me, who spent decades passionately following, rooting for, loving and living and dying on every play involving the Patriots, who do not blog, facebook, instagram, tweet or text, who see the same absurdity in another comparison
th
th

It's kinda like when I'm sitting around at Victoria's Secret waiting for my wife to do her thing.....I say to myself "It's not fair that she gets to go into the dressing room and I don't"

Are you Tom Brady?

I've been saying that for 38 years, 10 months and 3 days, almost 40 if you count the dating time. It sounds like you've got a keeper there too.

I have to warn you @CISGS, just as I did my oldest son who just got married in August, that it requires a lot of effort to make a marriage work. Having lived it I can now see that it was worth every bit of what we went through to get to here.

Good luck. Too bad I won't be at the wedding. Even at my advanced age I'm a force on that floor when the groom is throwing the garter belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes