PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Patriots really need to draft is....

So what they need is another Curtis Martin. I say, you're better off trying to pry Stephen Jackson away from St. Louis than finding a Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Jamaal Charles, Slaton, Tashard Choice or Hightower. Because, let's not forget, the Patriots can't draft. Or seem to conveniently "miss out" on the steals. Even when the talent is in front of their faces, they typically pass.

A good point was made on the radio yesterday about the Patriots needing to learn to draft linebackers and change their system to fit this player rather than the usual drafting players to fit their system. They've to do something and fast. Change your way of thinking. Because these talented players every draft, whatever the position, offense or defense, are slipping through Belichick's fingers and other teams are prospering.

Last edited:
Here is our Power RB right here. Georgia Tech JR RB Johnathan Dwyer. 6'0 235 Lbs. 1394 yards on 235 carries(5.9 yards per) and 14 tds. 30th Rated player on Mel Kiper jr.'s Big Board. Im not sure about taking him at 22 but maybe he falls to us in the second round.
I like Dwyer although his YPC is likely skewed based on the triple option offense and he's had to do very little pass blocking. He also hasn't caught many passes, although it is said that he has fine hands.

So what they need is another Curtis Martin. I say, you're better off trying to pry Stephen Jackson away from St. Louis than finding a Ray Rice, Kevin Smith, Jamaal Charles, Slaton, Tashard Choice or Hightower. Because, let's not forget, the Patriots can't draft. Or seem to conveniently "miss out" on the steals. Even when the talent is in front of their faces, they typically pass.

Almost every player, outside of the top 10, has question marks. Some of those players overcome those question marks or prove that they were unwarrented. Others don't - these are generally busts.

For the last season posters have brought up Cushing, Matthews and Maualuga. And yes, all three had good seasons although they might not have had such good seasons in the Pats scheme (and I appreciate your point about possibly changing the scheme, but for now it is what it is). Yet all three had question marks - Cushing and Matthews over possible size/steroids implications, Maualuga fell to the mid-second because of serious question marks over him over-pursuing and not having the speed to make up for it.

Possible busts after only the 2009 season: Aaron Maybin, Alphonso Smith, Eben Britton, Pat White (or at least he hasn't come close to finding a role yet) - all are players that some people had been suggesting for us pre-draft. Robert Ayers, another 1st round pass rusher, may only now be starting to come good for the Broncos.

Let's not even mention Vernon Gholston, Branden Albert, Derrick Harvey, Glenn Dorsey and Chris Long, all from the 1st round of the 2008 draft.

Simply, drafting is not an exact science. And we're not really all that bad at it - how about Vollmer, Pryor and Edelman this year?

Last edited:
Then why did they draft potential diamond in the rough Justice Hairston at the end of the 6th round?

He may have been a favor to Scott Pioli, who also graduated from Central Connecticut State.

I was being facetious... My main point is to say that the Patriots have passed on players that were there for the taking and they chose not to select them because of their system. Again, maybe Belichick needs to reconsider his approach to the draft when drafting in any round. Oftentimes, the character of a player plays into it. But New England has drafted players with questionable characters and/or were involved in incidents possibly detrimental to their draft stock. For instance, they'd drafted Meriweather. Not to mention, trading for Randy Moss.

I'm not saying you draft Maualuga. But Laurinaitis was still available... If you can take the time to interview a player about character concerns. Why can't you reconsider a player who may have to play at a different position or change his role on your team but the talent is there to make your team.

He may have been a favor to Scott Pioli, who also graduated from Central Connecticut State.

That's what I thought at the time, also. Pity; he could've been signed as a UDFA, and that pick could've been used on somebody who could've actually helped.

Because I think we still will have Maroney, Faulk and Morris i think Bill will go for Anthony Dixon ... he may be able to even get him in a trade down to upper round 3.

What was really nice was when we had Corey Dillon ... he was a great pass blocker ... not just good but great. We don't have that this year outside of Kevin Faulk ... we need a RB who can run and pass block to help this offense work. Maroney sucks at pass blocking - he looks like a pinball out there.

A good point was made on the radio yesterday about the Patriots needing to learn to draft linebackers and change their system to fit this player rather than the usual drafting players to fit their system. They've to do something and fast. Change your way of thinking. Because these talented players every draft, whatever the position, offense or defense, are slipping through Belichick's fingers and other teams are prospering.

I think changing your system to fit the player is a terrible idea. If anything BB's major problem remains his inability to draft players for the OLB position and coach them up.

Pittsburgh drafts a Timmons or Woodley and stashes them for a year or two while they are coached up and then unleashes them as contributors in the base defense. BB has NO development program for the LB position.It is the only position on the field except kickers that he does not develop players from within.

The sad thing is that the retreads he is salvaging from around the league are low level contributors at best and he is paying top dollar for them.

I think changing your system to fit the player is a terrible idea. If anything BB's major problem remains his inability to draft players for the OLB position and coach them up.

Pittsburgh drafts a Timmons or Woodley and stashes them for a year or two while they are coached up and then unleashes them as contributors in the base defense. BB has NO development program for the LB position.It is the only position on the field except kickers that he does not develop players from within.

The sad thing is that the retreads he is salvaging from around the league are low level contributors at best and he is paying top dollar for them.

Well, Vrabel and Rosey Colvin fit into this category too then, and they worked out.

The problem for BB is that he needs 260 pounders for that position who can run, and those guys are rarely available in the draft.

That being said, Vrabel, Colvin and Adalius were all to be had by any team that wanted them in the draft.

I'm imagining that BB believes most guys that fit the description resemble Gholston, but every once in a while, a guy that looks like Gholston turns into Brian Orakpo. I guess BB should just take chances on guys like this and if it's a bust (high probability) it's a bust. Look at Michael Johnson last year and Carlos Dunlap this year. Do you take them?

Iaputi OG Idaho, 6'5" 330 and not fat is what we need. He has the power to demolish those DT as well as the agility to pull. That's the kind of thing we need. Not these midgets from munchkin land.

Iaputi is my binky too-- hard-working tough-as-nails guy.

I've already seen him prjected as high as 13 and as low as the 2nd round. He would be a road grader for sure, and though he rarely faced top college competition, when he did he excelled.

Remains to be seen if he has the mobility we like in guards, but if he does this would be an ideal (though boring to some) pick.

A power runningback. This offense has to get back to a more balanced attack and to do that they need that guy who they can hand the ball off to 20-25 times a game and pound the ball consistantly.

Maroney is not the answer-way to inconsistant and cannot be relyed on. Even in his best games, it still wasn't what this team needed and then he started to fumble every game.

Morris and Taylor are over the hill guys who can be serviceable for a few carries once in awhile, but not an every game back anymore.

Kevin Faulk is still Kevin Faulk and has a spot on this team

BJGE- I think he to could be a guy to be the 2nd back in the 2 back system that is needed these days. 5 to 7 carries a game to give the main guy a breather. We need that Corey Dillon type back in here again, that is what brought championships here, not the passing attack this offense has fallen in love with.

If we can get a guy like Dwyer in round 2, I'm all aboard. This team needs a smash mouth power runningback, and we don't really have that in any of our current guys.

I like Dwyers size and speed, but what worries me about him is the type of offense he played in. At no point in his college career has he had to find the hole and hit it. He could have the same problems maroney has with making reads and hitting the hole.

I like Dwyers size and speed, but what worries me about him is the type of offense he played in. At no point in his college career has he had to find the hole and hit it. He could have the same problems maroney has with making reads and hitting the hole.

Right. I like Dwyer. A lot. But not as much as I liked Maroney coming out of Minnesota. Maroney looked like a workhorse running back...a Curtis Martin type guy.

Of course, put Maroney in an offense with a shaky QB (Cleveland? San Francisco) where they live and die with the running game, and he might be just that. I'm not sure that we'll ever have a 25-carry/game guy as long as Brady's QB here.

I like Dwyers size and speed, but what worries me about him is the type of offense he played in. At no point in his college career has he had to find the hole and hit it.
Dwyer actually did play one year in a real offense, this is only Paul Johnson's second year there. He only had 82 carries the year before Johnson but he did average 5.3 YPC.

I really hope we can get Anthony Dixon he would be perfect for us. He carries defensive backs, and outruns d-lineman, linebackers. and he catches the ball out of the backfield. He is the total package.

Here is my wish list, if we get four of the guys from this list I will be happy. If we don't I will repeat in Bill we trust until my anger subsides. Please feel free to remind me of names I might have forgot.

1. Pass rushing OLB
Jerry Hughes
Jason Piere-Paul
Sergio Kindle
Ricky Sapp
Jason Worilds

2. Running back
CJ Spiller (if he slips)
Jonathan Dwyer
Javid Best
Toby Gerhart

3. Wide reciever
Damian Williams
Aurieloius Benn
Golden Tate
Eric Decker
Jordan Shipley

4. Tight End
Jermaine Gresham
Aaron Hernandez
Anthony McCoy

5. Guard
Mike Iupati
Vlad Ducasse
Mike Johnson

6 Defensive Lineman
Dan Williams
Terrance Cody
Jared Odrick
Arthur Jones
Corey Wootten

7 ILB
Rolondo McLain
Brandon Spikes

8 DB
Brandon Ghee
Patrick Robinson
Taylor Mays

Brandon Spikes is too slow. Maybe Eric Berry if he slips.

Last edited:
If we can get a guy like Dwyer in round 2, I'm all aboard. This team needs a smash mouth power runningback, and we don't really have that in any of our current guys.

I like dwyer but this is what we really need........

2r3h01z.gif

KO power in both hands, good hand speed, head and foot movement are tremendous for a heavyweight. Hes the next Tyson.

Last edited:
Then why did they draft potential diamond in the rough Justice Hairston at the end of the 6th round?

You think that them drafting a RB in the 6th round in a draft where they didn't like the quality of talent and tried everything they could to trade out of that draft is them looking to ad a RB?

Hairston, by definition, was a diamond in the rough. Someone who, if he made the team, would be a great stroy, but if he didn't, it would be nothing lost..

It's pretty clear that you have some "unique" ideas about what it means for a team to be looking to add a player.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back