PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the NFL fears...Congress and investigations..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The NFL will laugh at petitions..tear them up and toss them..Talk?? yes if the airwaves are filled with talk about how the game was manipulated..and how the refs were bad, they will not like that..but talk is cheap. What MAY get the the NFL to do something is a threat of a congress investigating...NOT that I think they can do anything right..but..they have authority and I think the threat would get the NFL to act. Hey if quiz shows can be rigged..and investigated why not a BILLION dollar industry with gambling and??/ Much more at stake and..more to lose..It is the talk and the threat that will make the NFL do something. (BTW D and C are discussing refs now...)

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
The NFL will laugh at petitions..tear them up and toss them..Talk?? yes if the airwaves are filled with talk about how the game was manipulated..and how the refs were bad, they will not like that..but talk is cheap. What MAY get the the NFL to do something is a threat of a congress investigating...NOT that I think they can do anything right..but..they have authority and I think the threat would get the NFL to act. Hey if quiz shows can be rigged..and investigated why not a BILLION dollar industry with gambling and??/ Much more at stake and..more to lose..It is the talk and the threat that will make the NFL do something. (BTW D and C are discussing refs now...)

I had to back off my comments a couple of weeks back when I said that the NFL manipulates the calls to get an outcome that favors ratings and revenue. I caught a ton of crap for saying it too. The Indy/Pitt was one of the biggest shameless displays of the NFL calling a game to favor a team that I ever saw. Yes, they wanted Indy in the Championship game but Pitt played too well to lose. Same goes for the Pats at Denver. Officiating played a HUGE role in the outcome of the game. Whether football fans want to hear it or not, the NFL controls (to a very large degree) the way a game is called. I watched the game with about 50 non-biased fans yesterday and we all walked away from the game with the same conclusion....Pitts was chosen to win the game and the refs made sure of it.

ya

FloridaPatsFan said:
I had to back off my comments a couple of weeks back when I said that the NFL manipulates the calls to get an outcome that favors ratings and revenue. I caught a ton of crap for saying it too. The Indy/Pitt was one of the biggest shameless displays of the NFL calling a game to favor a team that I ever saw. Yes, they wanted Indy in the Championship game but Pitt played too well to lose. Same goes for the Pats at Denver. Officiating played a HUGE role in the outcome of the game. Whether football fans want to hear it or not, the NFL controls (to a very large degree) the way a game is called. I watched the game with about 50 non-biased fans yesterday and we all walked away from the game with the same conclusion....Pitts was chosen to win the game and the refs made sure of it.

:ditto: :agree: :yeahthat:

FloridaPatsFan said:

I thought the NFL had become the class organization that the other pro sports could model themselves after. I was way wrong. I think the problem has been and still is that NFL refs are weekend warriors only, rather than paid "professionals" like in major league baseball. Not sure about the NBA, but I'd bet their refs are professional refs. I don't know how the NFL fixes this because games are mostly just on weekends and they obviously don't want to take on paying refs a salary for other than weekends.

Floridapatsfan I couldnt agree more! The only difference is I dont think I have ever seen a team get hosed in the playoffs or Super Bowl like they were doing to teams this yeart. IMO this all started when the Colts WR's couldnt get open a couple years back so they changed the rules and the way they officiate games. From that point on I have seen teams repeatedly get the NBA treatment and really given the parity of the NFL its too much for most teams to overcome bad/biased officiating. What a travesty, what a rip off! Its this sort of thing that got me to quit watching the NBA and I hope the NFL cleans this up so I dont have to find something else to do on sundays! :violent:

Pats726 said:
Congress has more important things to screw up. We don't need them messing the NFL up any more than it already is.

CTPatsFan said:
Congress has more important things to screw up. We don't need them messing the NFL up any more than it already is.

Yep, I agree.

workhorse said:
Yep, I agree.
Prolly the first, last, and only time ;)

CTPatsFan said:

I don't know about that. It was a House appointed committee that resulted in the far stricter drug policy being instituted in major league baseball. Of course, blowing pass interference calls is not as serious as players taking performance enhancing drugs either.

anyone ever hear of antitrust exemption?

Fanfrom1960 said:
I thought the NFL had become the class organization that the other pro sports could model themselves after. I was way wrong. I think the problem has been and still is that NFL refs are weekend warriors only, rather than paid "professionals" like in major league baseball. Not sure about the NBA, but I'd bet their refs are professional refs. I don't know how the NFL fixes this because games are mostly just on weekends and they obviously don't want to take on paying refs a salary for other than weekends.
it's hard to become a classy "organization" when nobody's on the same payroll. as long as the franchises are financially independent, and one franchise can sue the others, and WIN, and not get thrown out of the collaborative, and the product is not completley under the control of the nfl organization itself, i don't believe it can be called an organization.
what it is is an exclusive group of independendent organizations acting in collusion with each other. that's called a "trust", which is illegal. suppose all the banks in the country got together and decided to stop competing and give us all the same interest rates, etc. that's a trust, and illegal.
The Congress gives the NFL, NHL, MLB, and the NBA, by classification, an exemption fron the rules banning "trusts". it's called an "antitrust exemption". Congress ever decides to call these alliances what they are, all the leagues coule continue, but the fracchises wouldn't be able to make a single contract with player, etc.
wiitjhin those exemption rules, the Congress has also given the owners and their franchises a set of tax exemptions and tax credits that essentially makes it imposible for an nfl franchise to lose money. there are also a set of exemptions for franchises that build stadiums. if my math is right, the tax exemptions afforded to the patrions, including accelerated depreciation rules, afford them about $35 million a year in exemptions from tax payments. the stadium cost $345m.
each referee is a successful professional, business owner, educator, or something else where they have enough personal income to be invulnerable to bribes. they only get something like $1500 a game plus travel. iso they don't officiate games for the money, they do it, basically, for the thrill. imagine standing three feet away as joey porter and shawn alexander run into each other full tilt.
n most cases, these guys would not give up their careers to become full time refs for the nfl. they make very good money in their day jobs, and they like their work.

ilduce06410 said:
it's hard to become a classy "organization" when nobody's on the same payroll. as long as the franchises are be able to make a single contract with player, etc.
wiitjhin those exemption rules, the Congress has also given the owners and their franchises a set of tax exemptions and tax credits that essentially makes it imposible for an nfl franchise to lose money. there are also a set of exemptions for franchises that build stadiums. if my math , for the thrill. imagine standing three feet away as joey porter and shawn alexander run into each other full tilt.
n most cases, these guys would not give up their careers to become full time refs for the nfl. they make very good money in their day jobs, and they like their work.

A few years back, there was an article somewhere that described the "average profession" of an NFL ref. At the time, more than half or roughly half of the refs were either lawyers or accountants by day. Now I ask you, outside of politicians, what other professionals have a greater reputation for corruption? By nature, both have to do thier jobs with complete knowledge that they cannot always report the truth if it would cost them business and income potential?

Look at any professional sport and tell me what league does not protect the refereeing to the point of ridiculousness? The NBA is the laughing stock of all sports!! Back in the mid 90's, nearly all NBA refs were arraigned on FEDERAL TAX EVASION. What did the NBA do? Suspend them, Fire them, sternly admonished them? No, they all kept thier jobs and apologized to the IRS and went on as business as usual!!

I really hope I live to see the day that one of these guys comes clean and admits that he biasedly called games per order of the powers that be in the NFL. But, I imagine that they have an agreement with thier employer that should any information be connected to said individual, all retirement monies will be immediately forfited.

Funny 2 days after and ALL the talk is about the refs

D&C in Boston mike and mike...all the talk is about the refs!!! I don't think the NFL likes that..what WILL cause the NFL to do something is if Congress threatens to look into it..THAT will get them to act. Dangle a statement about
the ant-trust exemption and see how fast they will do to act!!

BINGO! That's what gets tagliabue's attention

Pats726 said:
I have worked in around government for 30 years. i can tell you these things for certain. Remember, these guys saw the SB too, and were probably there.
a The two Senators who should get our letters are John McCain, R-Arizona, and Ted Stevens, R-Alaska. You remember these guys because they did the steriod hearings last year. They are members of the Senate Special Committee on Ethics that wrote and passed the bill titled "The Clean Sports Act of 2005".
b. send letters DIRECTLY TO THEIR SENATE OFFICES, NOT TO THE GENERIC SENATE ADDRESS. They will send a letter of inquiry over to Tagliabue. He will $h!t his pants. He has to give them a substantive answer, not the blowoff letter he would send to people like us.
or McCain & Stevens, both piblicity hounds may ruin his day and bring up th The Hill for a little chat.

ilduce06410 said:
send letters DIRECTLY TO THEIR SENATE OFFICES, NOT TO THE GENERIC SENATE ADDRESS. They will send a letter of inquiry over to Tagliabue. He will $h!t his pants. He has to give them a substantive answer, not the blowoff letter he would send to people like us.
or McCain & Stevens, both piblicity hounds may ruin his day and bring up th The Hill for a little chat.
You have the addresses?? you should post them so all can send letters...I agree both would like the pub..and it is a big question that needs to eb answered. Hey, even a letter to TBu will get him worried and maybe THAT will clean up the act..which is really what we all want.

aiello left his officials twisting in the wind

Pats726 said:
You have the addresses?? you should post them so all can send letters...I agree both would like the pub..and it is a big question that needs to eb answered. Hey, even a letter to TBu will get him worried and maybe THAT will clean up the act..which is really what we all want.
please notice that yesterday the nfl's supervisor of officials said each play was "properly called". i would agree with that, knowing what he means.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/02/07/playoff_officiating_flagged/

aiello said there were "some tight plays that produced disagreement about the calls made by the officials".

when he says the game Was "properly called", he means the officials who threw flags were in "proper" position to do so. you've seen my posts about how nfl officials seem to be Right There, visible within the camera shot, to make calls. i'm sure officials were right there, where they're supposed to be when they made calls. ailello's also saying the official in best position to see the play was the one who made the call. finally, he means the referee went to replay and/or consulted the other guys when he should have, according to the book.
THAT'S A GAME THAT'S PROPERLY CALLED. RIGHT AND WRONG HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. IN EFFECT HE HUNG HIS OFFICIALS OUT TO DRY.

he also said there were "some tight plays" that produced "disagreement". he does NOT SAY the calls were correct. the nfl actually looks at every play of each game, each season, and determines whether a call was "right" or not depending on what the official had available to him. that's how the officials get their grades per game and per season.

just tighten the pliers a little.

Pats726 said:
a letter to tagliabue will not get him worried. he probably gets 500 such letters every year complaining about the refs' calls.
a letter to these Senators that prompts them to send a note over to paul t is a much different thing. he HAS to respond in a manner that satisfied the Senators. moreover, his response will be scrutinized by god knows how many reporters. he also knows that the letter will appear in the media.
hey, he'll have to straighten his collar a couple times.

addresses: John McCain 241 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING (SOB) WASHINGTON DC 20510 ph: (202) 224-2235
Web Form: mccain.senate.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=Contact.Home

Ted Stevens 522 HART SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510 ph: (202) 224-3004
Web Form: stevens.senate.gov/contact.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back