Welcome to PatsFans.com

What The "Chinese Style" Internet Will Look Like

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Control freaks the world over, including most recently Tony Blair, have called for the introduction of a Chinese style Internet, where the World Wide Web is tightly regulated and free speech stifled on the whim of a government censor.

Here's what Internet 2, the Chinese format, will look like.
    Say goodbye to downloading your favorite music or videos in seconds via high-speed cable or ADSL. There is no high speed broadband Internet in China. Since every website you access has to first pass through a government approved list, even the likes of Yahoo and Google lag and stumble onto your monitor, as if you're using dial-up...

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/june2007/190607chinesestyle.htm
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 1 / -9

Sounds like John Fonda Kerry and the Dingobats going after Limbaugh and Talk Radio.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

It does, but in this case it's a "conservative" radical fascist's proposal. It doesn't matter their political leanings - professional politicians' ultimate goals are control of society so they can increase fear and make themselves seem more important to our survival.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The prisonplanet link is sort of paranoid.

It sounds to me like Blair is expressing frustration about the internet, and it's true there is a problem. Some sites present rumor as news, sometimes info gets on the web that demeans or humiliates a person, sometimes personal information that could be used illegally is available through the web.

Calling for accountability is not the same as calling for censorship or control. I don't know what the answer is, but there's certainly a valid question. Do we want to prevent people from being humiliated and lied about? Do we want to be able to distinguish between rumor and truth?
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters, that's just lame. We have laws to protect people from defamation. Remember NEM suing Box-O-Rocks? And truth is a slippery subject, too often the real truth isn't known and I don't just want the official version. The internet is like any other media, it's not a redheaded stepchild.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I'm not talking about laws, but perhaps a code of conduct that enables sites to apply for seals of approval. For instance, the Republican Party could offer such seals, so could the Democrats, libertarians, fundamentalists, blacks, and other groups. In addition, some nonpartisan groups could do the same. For sites that opted for such seals of approval, it would (1) give them greater legitimacy, (2) attract more traffic, (3) and communicate to its viewers what the site stands for. For sites that simply wanted to continue with entertaining rumors, they too could have a seal or not apply for one at all.

On the other hand, there are legitimate issues too. I have a friend whose 12 year old son was persuaded by two girlsfriend to put on their clothes. They videotaped him and posted it on youtube. As a result he was embarrassed and taunted. Sure, his parents might have been able to sue, but they certainly won't. Maybe there's a way to discourage this kind of behavior. I really don't know.
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's a decent idea, though I bet there would be sites who's selling point would be that they don't get anyone's seal of approval, so they must be more independent and willing to tell the truth, etc.

What does the internet have to do with that? What if the girls had just pictures on telephone polls? Surely the problem wouldn't be "too many unregulated telephone polls". Kids can misbehave using all sorts of things, from bottle rockets to the internet.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Conservative and/or liberal do not represent the same platform in different cultures. Left, Right, conservative, center-up, move over, bend over, etc...are all different from country to country.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

Why would you need the government to get involved with anything like that? Furthermore, what would a "seal" represent? That the info was approved by the GOP? hahahaha...yeah, that'd sure make it gospel.

You always have a friend who....:D

Sue? For what? That kid learned a valuable lesson that kids always learn when growing up. Don't do stupid things.
  10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Boy ain't that the truth... no matter the subject, Patters always "has a friend" who not only fits that topic perfectly, but has an experience that conveniently reinforces whatever liberal viewpoint Patters is trying to express... :rolleyes:
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't doubt Patters' story (I have no reason to think he's a liar), it just doesn't really have anything to do with the internet. I'm sure if Patters was lying he'd have come up with something more relevant.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So it's just a "fairness doctrine" for the internet...
  13. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

You're missing my point. I think there's a legitimate issue and there are good ways to address it without resorting to any government action. My idea was simply one example of a way to address legitimate concerns. I'm sure people have forwarded you emails and some have even posted content on this site that's easily debunked by Snopes. But, for those who don't recognize an urban legend, they may very well be convinced of all sorts of nonsense. In fact, I've had (and I'm sure you've had) people forward you crap that they took as truth because it appeared in an email forwarded to them.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

I'd be shocked if Patters ever lied. He doesn't strike me as the type. He is the most partisan person in this forum, but he seems about as honest as it gets.
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In some contexts it would certainly increase a claim's stature.

Outside of the web, there's many places where a similar system is employed. The FAA has almost no regulations regarding sport Parachuting. By law you can just buy one and jump any time you like. Yet if you show up at any Skydiving dropzone with your own gear and try to get on a plane you'll be laughed out. Their certification is entirely voluntary and regulated by a private entity; but because it was so sensible and necessary and the feds had no interest in stepping in, its as close to universal as you can get.

In the flooring industry there's a group that's been slowly establishing a certification process for tools and ancillary products. When I go to Home Depot to buy a roll of carpet seaming tape I have to wonder if I'm getting crap or not. Trust me, I'm almost certainly this board's most frequent visitor to Home Depot, and as such I can attest to the fact that they sell some good stuff and some that's not so good, and that price has nothing to do with it. You have to know the product or you'll get taken. Now when I find myself in need of a bit more seaming tape to finish a job I just look for the CFI seal of approval and I know I'm safe.
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +349 / 1 / -9

Rosie O'Donnell-Alec Baldwin = Freedom Of Speech

Talk Radio-Ann Coulter = Waaahhh, shut them up, they're mean.

Liberals
    When they can't compete they want whatever it is they can't compete with destroyed, they tried and the people didn't want to listen to thier blubbery left wing social do-gooding crap junk.
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Talk Radio, Hannity, O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Savage, Coulter.. take small issues and exaggarate them and then tell the world that this is what liberals want and to be afraid.. fear sells and lots are buying.

Conservatives...
    When they can't buy all the newspapers(Murdoch is trying hard though) or all of the internet, take over the airwaves and when people try to create balance they cry foul and start talking about the body size of the messenger or what the messenger is wearing rather than the message. Their message of fear scares the crap out of the old folks and keeps them under control.
  18. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Like the message of fear that some politicians (usually of the left side of the aisle) spread by showcasing the supposed impending diasters due to Global Warming? Both sides use issues to cause fear and hopefully get votes through the claims that only they can fix said problem.
  19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

But most of the fear they spread gets turned around by Rush, Hannity, O'Reilly, Savage and the rest of the RW fear mongers.. they tell them to fear the left not look at the issue.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +349 / 1 / -9

All talk radio does is talk to the people about all the things the left wing doesn't want us to talk about.

As for Fear STFarmy is right, Al Gore and Hollywood are scaring the Sh!t out of our kids.